Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my xd mod 2 tactical in from my local FFL yesterday. I put in a PRP trigger and noticed a problem when checking the reset. If I dry fire, hold the trigger back, rack the slide, and then release the trigger it does not reset. If I put the tiniest bit of pressure on the back of the trigger it will reset and everything will be fine. I took the gun apart and everything appears to be assembled properly. I cleaned it (even though it is a new gun) and saw no change in behavior. I plan to take the pistol to the range tomorrow and see if the same thing happens with real bullets. Does anyone have any ideas what I might have done wrong? Is this just a break-in issue?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Either needs some fitting or there's a spring in backwards.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Really, the question should be "How is the first idea in your head (after function testing and seeing there is a problem) to fire it with live ammo?"

Take it apart and check what Amish said.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
depends on what kit was purchased. I have drop in kits in all my xd's and never had to fit anything. and don't go to live ammo till it passes a full function test as one of the other posters mentioned.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just got my xd mod 2 tactical in from my local FFL yesterday. I put in a PRP trigger and noticed a problem when checking the reset. If I dry fire, hold the trigger back, rack the slide, and then release the trigger it does not reset. If I put the tiniest bit of pressure on the back of the trigger it will reset and everything will be fine. I took the gun apart and everything appears to be assembled properly. I cleaned it (even though it is a new gun) and saw no change in behavior. I plan to take the pistol to the range tomorrow and see if the same thing happens with real bullets. Does anyone have any ideas what I might have done wrong? Is this just a break-in issue?
Which kit did you get? The one with the sear requires fitting of the sear. But sear fitting once in the frame is a grip safety function. Your problem seems elsewhere.

Reactions: RedOwl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies and advice. To answer the various questions:
1) Common sense won out before I got the range. I was not stupid enough to put live ammo in a gun with a functional problem. (Of course, when I took it to the gunsmith the first thing he told me was to fire 100 rounds through it to see if the problem persisted).
2) Yes, the weapon was cleaned and lubed while I had it apart. I cleaned it again when I took it apart the second time just in case I had missed something.
3) It was the basic kit with the striker safety lever, trigger, and two springs.

The gunsmith had to do some minor fitting to the striker safety lever and trigger to get the reset to work properly. I was a little disappointed. The kit is advertised as "easy pre-fit."

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just purchased the same kit today.....If I have the same issues I will be calling PRP and having a "nice" conversation with them about their drop in, no fitting required kits.......The videos do say that the safety lever is slightly thicker then the factory one and may take some finesse to install it with the sear spring.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just purchased the same kit today.....If I have the same issues I will be calling PRP and having a "nice" conversation with them about their drop in, no fitting required kits.......The videos do say that the safety lever is slightly thicker then the factory one and may take some finesse to install it with the sear spring.
Correct and always read the manual/instructions first. So follow those guidelines and you will be good. Drop in probably means about 90% of the time I'd guess. But due to tolerances beyond PRPs control its up to the end user to adjust for fit or if not seek a qualified Gunsmith that will do it for you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
3) It was the basic kit with the striker safety lever, trigger, and two springs.

The kit is advertised as "easy pre-fit."
This info would have been a help in the original post for us to help diagnose your issue. No harm no foul. We're all here to help and glad you got your issue resolved.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Installed the trigger kit yesterday. The hardest part for me was getting that damn disassemble lever out of the frame.
I probably lost about half of the trigger travel before engagement with the kit. I will try it out at the range later this week.
Yes, my trigger does reset........and my cheapo HF punch kit did the job fine!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello, Been a while since I've posted. Just purchased an XD mod.2 tactical 9mm last week. Put in the "easy fit" PRP kit, exact components as mentioned by OP and experienced the exact same situation. Occasionally, after firing a round the trigger would not quite travel far enough forward to reset. Almost like it needs a little more spring pressure to push it all the way forward. Background - this is my fourth XD over past 5 years. Have installed the PRP easy fit kit in all of them and all have functioned flawlessly. Firearm was cleaned and lubed while apart for trigger kit install. It's seems ironic that OP had identical issue with identical model. ie. Tactical. Other than this issue, shot really sweet with mild recoil. The bi-tone slide is beautifully machined. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks. :smile:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had this problem until I changed the striker safety spring to the lighter one provided by Prp. With the slide off the gun the trigger reset fine. Then with the slide on the pistol the striker safety spring was too heavy with factory spring to depress and allow the trigger all the way forward. Once I changed it out to the prp provided spring it has reset fine. Mine was an XD Mod 2 tactical.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey Jlr99, Thanks for jumping in. Your solution totally makes sense. I too found the trigger reset fine with the slide off. Unfortunately, the "easy fit" kit does not come with a lighter striker safety spring. It only comes with a reduced power sear and trigger spring. I did solve the issue by putting the OEM trigger spring back in. It provides a little more tension then the reduced power PRP spring. I now get a nice solid reset. So I guess there's more than one way to skin this cat. Enjoy your tactical. It's an excellent firearm.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had a similar reset issue with my XDM & PRP Ultimate Match Target trigger. Random reset failure. Worked fine with slide off, sometimes fail to reset during live fire after initial install. After discussion with the fine folks at PRP, I hadn't completely finished the install. I had to take some material off the little triangular protrusion on the striker safety lever to allow the hook on the trigger bar to reliably drop in to place.

CaLL PRP when your at your work bench and explain what's going on. As they are talking to you, you can field strip and see what they are talking about. Really helpful.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Everything requires a bit of fitting.
Nothing is drop in 100%.
I fine polish every area that contacts another.
All parts should freely move back and forth that are supposed to move without springs present.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mine has 1/16" take up, with another 1/6" or so "creep". I used the stock springs rather than the ones that came with the kit... as I was after a shorter travel... not a lighter pull.

Might give the stock springs a try and see if it feels better to you.... worth a try. Not a big difference... but noticeable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts