Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. First I wanted to say that this forum is awesome and very informative.

I am new to the forums and XD pistols. I have been doing some research on here and trying to find out what problems, if any the XDs have. I notice that the striker retaining pin breaking seems to be a fairly common issue so I ordered the PRP Pins.

In their site I also noticed they sell a striker for the pistol as well. I was wondering what the advantages are over just using the stock striker? I don't mind spending the $40 if it'll improve the pistol. Thanks guys

·
Registered
216 Posts
I believe the only improvement is that it's polished. It's actually the only part I didn't bother to replace on my guns.

I saw no reason to spend the money and just polished my own.

I'd it were made of titanium or lightened, I would have ordered it.

Not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the only improvement is that it's polished. It's actually the only part I didn't bother to replace on my guns.

I saw no reason to spend the money and just polished my own.

I'd it were made of titanium or lightened, I would have ordered it.

Not worth it IMO.
Thank you. Aside from the striker retaining pin issues, anything else I should look for or replace on my XDM?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Depends what you're using it for. I've replaced everything on both my .45 and .40 5.25". Stainless guide rods, triggers, springs, titanium striker safety's, titanium striker indicators, aluminum striker indicator guides, extended mag releases, lighter recoil springs (tuned to lighter loads), sights, grip tape, magwell, you name it. Any more mods to my 5.25 and I'd have to run it in open class.

If it'd just a range/defensive gun, I'd recommend a trigger kit and truglo tfo's.

·
Registered
216 Posts
But the guns are solid. Like really solid. You'll be able to run thousands of rounds through it without a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But the guns are solid. Like really solid. You'll be able to run thousands of rounds through it without a problem.
Great thank you. I had two glocks and sold them both due to problems with the ****** 10rd mags that we get here in CA. My recent purchase was a Glock 17 Gen 3 and out of the box I had 10 FTF out of the 50 rounds (PMC 115gr) I put through it. So I sold them both and got an XDM 9 3.8. Haven't gotten it yet but I am very excited to try it out. Now if I could only find 10rd mags for it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
the XD platform is very rugged. It is a combat pistol. Yes, the striker retainer pin is probably the most touted "weak link" in the whole design,but it does not fail on every model. If you want to change it out for peace of mind, go right ahead. Nothing else you really need to worry with. . .just get ammo and shoot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the XD platform is very rugged. It is a combat pistol. Yes, the striker retainer pin is probably the most touted "weak link" in the whole design,but it does not fail on every model. If you want to change it out for peace of mind, go right ahead. Nothing else you really need to worry with. . .just get ammo and shoot.
Thanks. Yeah I ordered the pins from PRP, figured id change them and also have a few spares.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
lol
one of the funniest threads I've read all week :)
It's a wonder SA can even sell such a flawed weapon!

·
Registered
45 Posts
One other site sells striker pins . It's a set of 3 for 12 bucks . Can't remember where off hand. Also, Mcmaster -Carr sells a box of the same thing for like 9 bucks . Of course you get like 500 hundred.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I changed the striker retainer pin in my XDm 9 3.8 at 3,500 rounds. The factory still looked new. Dry fired probably 10,000 times/no snap caps. Must not be too weak any longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my xd9 and .40 back in March and April , and fire around 100-150 rds a week. Never had a ftf or any problems. I figure if something fails and it's not catastrophic I will replace it at that point in time. Love them btw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts