Springfield XD Forum banner

PRP striker spring

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Roycephus 
#1 ·
I installed the PRP striker spring today and it made a big difference in the trigger pull. Do I or should I change all the other springs as well? I can't see where it would make any difference.

#3 ·
Um, yeah, definitely change the other springs. The grip safety spring makes a difference because it puts pressure on the sear, and the sear spring is stronger which counteracts the striker spring. I think the sear spring makes a just as much difference as the sticker spring, IMO.

#4 ·
If it were me, I'd replace the striker spring and shoot it for a while. If you are happy with the function and the trigger feel, I'd leave it at that.

In my case, all of the reduced trigger pull weight my RCBS spring scale was capable of measuring happened when the PRP striker spring was installed. Perhaps the remaining springs make a difference in reliability or smoothness so if you choose to not install them (I did install them) I'd put a couple of hundred rounds through it to make sure it functions reliably.

#5 ·
For me, if I recall correctly about 1lb was due to the striker spring and about 3/4lb due to the others (I did not attempt to quantify the differences the other springs individually caused, but I imagine the grip safety spring was most, if not all, of the remainder.)

#8 ·
In the "pre-recall" PRP trigger spring kit, all of the springs were installed EXCEPT for the striker spring in my XDs. They yielded 1 ounce of trigger pull reduction as measured on a Lyman digital gauge. Worth the effort? Not.

I've no experience with the post recall spring kit. I wasn't going to waste my money a 2nd time.

#9 ·
In the "pre-recall" PRP trigger spring kit, all of the springs were installed EXCEPT for the striker spring in my XDs. They yielded 1 ounce of trigger pull reduction as measured on a Lyman digital gauge. Worth the effort? Not.
In the post-recall world, the grip safety spring has been shown to add to the trigger pull weight so you would expect that you could see some change from replacing it (and in my case, there was - to the tune of about 10-12 oz.) The others? I'm not really sure what effect they could have - probably mostly to make you feel like you got your money's worth from the kit.

#10 ·
That was my first thought too but those who sell, for example, reduced power striker springs for Glocks often warn not to also install an increased power trigger spring (which helps reduce felt pull weight) as the combination can cause failure to fire issues. The XDS trigger design is obviously based on the Glock trigger design but where it varies, ok it's almost completely diferent, is in the sear block so the same risks may not apply. PRP doesn't really say which springs in their kit are reduced power and which are increased power, and it may not really matter for reliability, which is why I suggested to just install the PRP striker spring then go shoot it a bunch. If it runs flawlessly, then you probably can skip the rest of the springs unless the slightly lower trigger weight is *really* important to you. If there are any reliability issues at all that weren't there before, install the rest of the springs. I can attest that mine runs flawlessly with all springs installed and the total trigger weight reduction was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 to 1.25lb.

The others? I'm not really sure what effect they could have - probably mostly to make you feel like you got your money's worth from the kit.

#11 ·
After much deliberation I went ahead and installed all the PRP springs. Glad that I did as the trigger pull weight was reduced even more and the trigger feels a lot smoother. The installation took longer than expected because I had problems with the grip safety spring. Now every is fine and I'm looking forward to my next trip to the range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.