Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my ticket as an XD Armorer has expired and my fingers have become more stiff, to the point that my manual dexterity with small springs and things has suffered, I would like to contact an Armorer for a PRP Spring Kit installation. Since I can't afford Overnight UPS rates, my search is limited to the Winston-Salem, Pilot Mountain, Mount Airy, NC area (Stokes and Surry counties being more preferable). The trigger on my new XDS 4.0 9mm is atrocious for the first shot.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Unless you have no vision and extreme arthritis you should at least give it a shot. It's a spring kit for crying out loud.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You could send the parts to James and get it done for about the price of overnight shipping. Yep, it will be gone a few days, but James is The Master.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
I would call a few gun shops in your area and ask if their 'smith can do it. Otherwise, I would send it to James...he is the XDs expert.

I did my spring kit using James' videos as a guide. Just required a few tools, time, and concentration. The ability to throw stuff when it gets frustrating is helpful :lol:

IMO, the spring kit is well worth it. I loved my stock trigger, but it was very heavy and gritty after the recall. The spring kit smoothed it out and brought the pull back down to around 5#.

Beautiful country up there in NC. My cousin lives in Statesville.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Since my ticket as an XD Armorer has expired and my fingers have become more stiff, to the point that my manual dexterity with small springs and things has suffered, I would like to contact an Armorer for a PRP Spring Kit installation. Since I can't afford Overnight UPS rates, my search is limited to the Winston-Salem, Pilot Mountain, Mount Airy, NC area (Stokes and Surry counties being more preferable). The trigger on my new XDS 4.0 9mm is atrocious for the first shot.
Sometimes I wonder if people actually read posts before replying... :roll:

Since overnight shipping isn't an option for you, and you don't feel like you could do it yourself because of your vision and (apparent) arthritis or similar issue, you are pretty limited.

However, checking with gunsmiths in the area as has been suggested is a reasonable approach if nobody replies with one they know is capable. Does SA publish a list of armorers or "authorized Service Centers" or the like? That might provide a resource if so.

Failing that, the option to have ajamesp51 do the work still isn't out of the question - I seem to recall he had one of the other members of the forum remove the trigger and sear assembly and just send that in along with the slide (to do the striker spring, etc.). Since at that point you aren't shipping a firearm, you can use less expensive shipping methods.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if people actually read posts before replying... :roll:

Since overnight shipping isn't an option for you, and you don't feel like you could do it yourself because of your vision and (apparent) arthritis or similar issue, you are pretty limited.

However, checking with gunsmiths in the area as has been suggested is a reasonable approach if nobody replies with one they know is capable. Does SA publish a list of armorers or "authorized Service Centers" or the like? That might provide a resource if so.

Failing that, the option to have ajamesp51 do the work still isn't out of the question - I seem to recall he had one of the other members of the forum remove the trigger and sear assembly and just send that in along with the slide (to do the striker spring, etc.). Since at that point you aren't shipping a firearm, you can use less expensive shipping methods.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!
I wouldn't trust the kit to any armorer unless he has done it before. I doubt that Gun shop armorers has enough experience installing the kit. I remember reading a thread about a guy that had his local armorer do the kit, and when everything was put together the grip safety wasn't working.

He can send the trigger assembly to James, and cut the shipping fees, he will also polish the trigger bar if requested, but still the owner will have to install the springs on the slide which it is not that hard but since he is admitting having some issues, I think it is appropriate having a Pro to do the job, also to re install the trigger assembly can be tricky due to the safety grip spring, and the little foot on the safety grip, that was the hardest part for me when did the kit.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Use Gunbrokers FFL finder
FFL Dealer Locator: Find FFL Dealers & Holders at Gunbroker.com

Usually FFL's that register with gun broker specialize in shipping things out. They will be able to send it cheaper than you would. And even with a convince fee it will be cheaper than over night UPS/Fedex. Call Several different FFL's and interview each, the cheapest is not always the best. And if you find one send me an e-mail and I will send you a copy of our FFL so your local dealer can ship to us.

For 30.00 I will just install the kit
For 50.00 I will install the Kit, polish internals and re-contour the safety button.
You will pay for return shipping. The one we just sent back yesterday cost 20.00 to ship since they sent the whole XDS pelican case. A smaller case weigh less.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Use Gunbrokers FFL finder
FFL Dealer Locator: Find FFL Dealers & Holders at Gunbroker.com

Usually FFL's that register with gun broker specialize in shipping things out. They will be able to send it cheaper than you would. And even with a convince fee it will be cheaper than over night UPS/Fedex. Call Several different FFL's and interview each, the cheapest is not always the best. And if you find one send me an e-mail and I will send you a copy of our FFL so your local dealer can ship to us.

For 30.00 I will just install the kit
For 50.00 I will install the Kit, polish internals and re-contour the safety button.
You will pay for return shipping. The one we just sent back yesterday cost 20.00 to ship since they sent the whole XDS pelican case. A smaller case weigh less.
What is re-contour the safety button?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I believe it is the striker safety button...reshaping the part that makes contact with the trigger bar.

·
Registered
144 Posts
+1000 for James. I sent him my XDS .45 for a PRP spring install and his "fluff-n-buff" job, as others have mentioned it to be, which included re-contouring of the safety button. James is super nice and his customer service etiquette is to modeled after. I will have the XDS back tomorrow (according to the tracking) and will report back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts