Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I went to the range and like any other time I came home and started cleaning my gun. I field stripped, cleaned and lubed it and just as I was about to put it back my girlfriend came over and asked me to show her how to do it. Now just so you know she hates guns, despises the fact that I own one and hates even more that I want more. So I showed her how to take it apart, explained how it worked, what are the parts were called and then I explained the major safety rules associated with all firearms. After that I couldnt believe that she wanted to see if she could take apart and put it back together herself, but bless her heart she couldnt even lock the slide back by herself. Its ok I helped her. I was still impressed that she remembered every step. I was so proud of her. Now I have to try and get her out to shoot sometime. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
There was thread some where with a video showing a young girl breaking down and re-assembling an M4 (?) or something like that, but she was FAST!!! You never know, your g/f may turn into a gun junkie. Keep it going, keep her involved. Give her a lot of praise! It takes a lot for some people to step up to the plate and show that they are not afraid of weapons! keep us posted on progress, it helps others!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good job! I have found people that really hate guns, can change their mind if someone shows them that they are not evil. Once they learn that they can't go off without a person actually having to do something, they find out they really enjoy it.

Keep up the good work.:cool:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good job on working with her. Sounds like she is coming around.

I consider myself very lucky to have married someone who grew up around guns and loves to shoot (my ammo.) She never thinks twice when I bring home a new gun or want to stop at the range for some practice.

So keep up the good work and she will eventually come around.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Awesome! My wife hates them too and is NOT looking forward to me having them (alas... I am in Kazak-NewJersey-stan and have to wait months for a permit...), so I find this post very encouraging. My wife loves a challenge, so if I could just get her to the range once... she'd be hooked.

Let us know when you get her to go shooting with you!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Make sure you atart with a .22 the first time...I fyou scare her first time out it will be the last. BTW my wife hates them too, but she put me onto an opportunity to be part of a hunting lease to get back into hunting.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I hear you. My girl was "okay" with them but kind of scared of them because of her lack of knowledge. I got her to go with me to the gun store, finally, when I bought my AR15 and she liked it. I have been trying to get her to let me get her the Walther P22, so I showed it to her and she felt it. She liked it and was all excited about it, went back today to put a deposit on it. :D

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think enjoying guns to girls sometimes is a little taboo. its pretty trendy right now to be anti gun.

my wife didnt really like the idea at all until we went through our basic pistol course for CCW. she is waaaay more open now and even shows interest.

good to hear that she is coming around!!

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
That's a good start, she's showing interest on her own. She'll soon want to shoot, have her own pistol and have you show her how to clean it. :)

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
She's going to sell it as soon as you leave for work lolol

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Yeah, now she can give a demo.
Yea, she'll demo it and sell it and when you come home, "look honey, I bought a better gun for US... isn't it pretty?" You'll look down and see an all pink gun... lol

Well, if anyone busts your nads on it, just tell them you bought it this month, it IS Breast Cancer Awareness Month after all. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
good to hear a positive story like this.

I had a similar experience with my fiance this week. She is pretty anti gun but for the first time ever she asked to go to the range with me. Said she wanted to learn how to shoot the xd40 in case she ever had to.

I tried to talk her into shooting a .22 pistol but she insisted on using the 40. So to make sure the gun wouldn't be too much for her first time, I handloaded the lightest load I could to just cycle the gun. Worked great and she wasn't overpowered by the recoil.

I find that when I talk to antigun people, especially female, it almost always boils down to a lack of exposure or knowledge on the subject.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I tried to talk her into shooting a .22 pistol but she insisted on using the 40. So to make sure the gun wouldn't be too much for her first time, I handloaded the lightest load I could to just cycle the gun. Worked great and she wasn't overpowered by the recoil.

I find that when I talk to antigun people, especially female, it almost always boils down to a lack of exposure or knowledge on the subject.
My girl was the same. It took a TON of convincing for her to get a .22 for her first gun. I told her if she wants more, we can buy another gun, but it'd be a great range gun since ammo is so cheap.

I agree completely about the anti-gun people. My Mom was against guns and didn't really see the need in it, she's a Democrat. Well after some education and safety instructions, she goes to the range some times and shoots my Pop's M&P 9mm. That's not even it !! She'll be voting Republican this year, too !! :lol: :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts