Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you might know from other threads, I ordered a black XDs 3.3 45 about a week and a half ago.

Well I picked it up today! Great little gun. Can't wait to actually shoot it.

If any of you are local to central PA I'd highly recommend Hit or Miss Gun Shop in Halifax. His price was excellent. He was $120 cheaper than any other place I called in the Harrisburg area.

Alien Gear holster on the way...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome, mine came home Monday... shot 60 rds this afternoon. (45 cap) recoil was just fine no FTFs NDA my 3 free mags are to arrive Monday..
. you'll have a riot... Welcome!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Marko,

I now there are real "He-Man" types here who'll shoot 500 rounds through their pistols in one range session, but in truth, it's neither necessary or wise. Any time you start getting into micro-pistol categories, you increase the need to have proper physical mechanics for reliability. This is the greatest reason the XD-S had and still has a reputation for being finicky. It is. But it requires dedicated and experienced shooters to make it sing and all others, may experience problems.

I'm a firm believer that this gun is not meant to be a "repel all boarders" pistol designed for the fortress walls during a zombie apocalypse. It's meant as a dependable and accurate defensive firearm that should take care of any and all social issues its owner finds himself or herself embroiled in.

I think a gun should have 2 to 300 trouble free rounds fired through it before it's holstered for defensive purposes. But not all fired at the same time!

My suggestion is to fire 3 or 4 magazines and put it away clean. Do this every time you have a range session and I'd bet you'll find it far more reliable. I fired a few more rounds than normal for me the other day, and found that by the 50th round, my palm and fingers were getting a bit sore. Also, I noticed a bit of wrist soreness from the torque. (My load is 225 grains at about 880 fps which is hotter than ball). It's a kicker of a load in this little killer.

People who try to break in the gun all in the first session are the one's who most complain of malfunctions. Neither my gun nor my son-in-law's XD-S have experienced any difficulties, and we keep our range sessions to 50 or less rounds per. Then we dig out other guns and have fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have to agree with you Daniel. Though I'm new to the XD forums, I've owned 4 xd .45's and now one XDS .45, and I have to say the little gun is tight and well thought out. Range report from yesterday - 50 rounds and no issues. Even with my 13 yo son shot 10 rounds. Now - rinse and repeat. (Mechanix gloves help with the soreness).

Considering that the pistol is meant to be a carry/defense firearm, why in the world would you not make sure it goes bang every time and every time with the ammo you mean to shoot when carrying. I used Federal 230 grain FMJ and CCI Gold dots for functioning. Outstanding little pistol, accurate, surprisingly easy recoil, I really like it.

Side note: I came back to Springfield from the Ruger LC9 line. It's a good gun in its own rights, but if you ask me Ruger got cheap with the LC9s. I'm not trying to flame, just my observation.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gave the gun it's initial cleaning today. Hopefully I can get out and actually shoot this thing next weekend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I posted these 2 on other related XDTalk forums:

I have been very happy with my Nate-Squared tactical (N8Sqd) made for my 4" XD full size but I use my XD-SC in it... this holster covers the WHOLE GRIP and keeps any sharp tactical grip edges from cutting your flesh. During our "summer" I wore this with a short-sleeved casual/dress shirt and no tee. It also locks the gun in place and it will not "walk/squeeze out" when getting up and down from sitting... as did my Firestar in a more expensive holster. That walking-out cost one CCW holder his permit when he lost his gun in a theater right after that Arizona massacre.
This is "Tuckable" and has only one clip exposed on the belt. Keep all options open and don't fixate on brands. Good luck.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
I recently saw a gun review where the major brand and expectedly accurate weapon shot large and random groups... that reviewer remembered other test-guns he reviewed had had many HUNDREDS of rounds thru them before he tested... he stripped, cleaned and completely lubed that gun; shot about 300 rounds thru it then cleaned again; groups were then 0.9" at 25 yards.
Most likely it's your shooting technique BUT still be prepared to "BREAK-IN" any brand new gun.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Congrats on the new XD-S. I previously owned one and it was very reliable.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got to shoot it yesterday. 54 rounds down range. I'm shooting low and right, as I tend to do. Recoil is very manageable. I had one FTL, but I used my opposite hand that time when I racked it. So I tend to blame myself on that. No other issues. Shot great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts