Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a .40 Glock 35 Practical/Tactical for a couple of years now and love it. It is without a doubt the most accurate gun out of the box I've ever seen. I know a lot of people are abandoning their Glocks in favor of the SA-XD models...I'm considering it...what are the pros/cons of the XD over the Glock?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, the glock uses the same width slide as the 21 and 30, whereas the xd uses the same slimmer slide as the regular models.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is kind of where I am at also (different caliber though). I like the XD better than the Glock personally because of the grip angle and the stock trigger feel but there are number of things that have recently come to my attention which makes the Glock more attractive to me. these are not faults of the XD just things that are favorable in my eyes.

One is the ability of the consumer to change his own sights. XDs sights pretty much need to be changed by a gunsmith or someone with a LOT of patience where as just about anyone can change Glock sights in a few minutes.

XD sights are set for 6 o'clock and I prefer centermass. XD adjustable sights (Dawson Precision) are in excess of $100 and Glock adjustables are $25. Yes I know the Glock sight are plastic but that hasn't been a problem for me yet.

I tried to buy a XD OEM barrel from Springfield and couldn't. Glock OEM barrels are very easy to purchase. Yes I know there a number of aftermarket barrels available for the XD but I wanted OEM (I've got my reasons).

The next reason I have no personal experience with but will here shortly. The XD has the best stock trigger but they both have a lot of overtravel and that can be corrected on both. Correcting it on the XD requires gunsmithing approaching a cost of $100 with shipping. You can buy a Ghost connector for $25. Now I know the Ghost connector won't come anywhere close to the professional trigger job of a good gunsmith but it is an option.

Overall the Glock is easier/cheaper/more fun to customize than the XD. This does not make the Glock a better pistol quite the contrary. I think the XD has more potential than the Glock but I am in the mood for a fun custom project and don't want to spend $500 plus all the shipping costs to send it back and forth to Rich. I want to do it myself and the Glock is more friendly in that area. This whole project idea might just turn into a nightmare and then I will realize that the XD is once again the better choice but I have to at least try.

I will always have my XDs and I plan on buying more but for now I'm thinking Glock.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Something I do like about my Glock is that you can reset the trigger without the long pull. After you fire a round you let the trigger out until you feel a "click" (which is about a 1/4 of the trigger pull) than the gun fires in what feels like single action. I like the compactness of the Glock in its midsection. I like the Tenifer finish.

But considering all I like about Glocks, I still like my XD more.

·
Registered
93 Posts
XDs have a more vertical grip angle, and a smaller grip.
Glocks have more aftermarket parts and modifications.
Glocks are Tenifered.
Holster selection, at the moment, is greater for the XD, since the XD45 has the same external dimensions as the XD40.

Your preference for trigger feel may play a small part in your decision. The grip angle was what did it for me. I used to modify Glocks to fit my hand. But with XDs, I don't have to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the views/opinions guys. I guess I'm going to have to rent/borrow a couple of XD to get some range time if I'm going to figure out which is the most comfortable one in my hand. Thanks. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I prefer the larger Glock grip when shooting with two hands, but like the smaller XDs grip when shooting one handed. I added a piece of inside out bike inner tube to my XDs grip which only made a minor difference. I own a few Glocks, but the XDs was my first Springfield XD

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
New record?
giphy-7.gif

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
I prefer the larger Glock grip when shooting with two hands, but like the smaller XDs grip when shooting one handed. I added a piece of inside out bike inner tube to my XDs grip which only made a minor difference. I own a few Glocks, but the XDs was my first Springfield XD
necrothread.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts