Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys,

Got me a 3rd gen HS 2000 last week and am now lookin' for a holster. There seems to be too many to choose from. I have finally decided that Small of the Back carry is best for me. Will those of you that use this type of holster provide some feedback on them and tell what maker you use? Opinions from others are welcome also.

TIA,

Michael

·
Registered
308 Posts
SOB holsters are uncomfortable and dangerous if you fall on your back the gun is right in the middle of your spine - - - :shock: could be a dangerous situation. On the plus side they sure look cool on TV don't they? :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know...never really thought about what would happen with a fall backwards...you made a valid point and I think I need to re-evaluate my plan.

Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's no harder to conceal a good well fitting IWB or a properly worn pancake holster and a whole lot safer!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I can't really think of any pros to SOB. Aside from the problems mentioned above they also stick out a LOT when you bend over...moreso than IWB at 4 o'clock.

brad cook

·
Registered
11 Posts
I carry SOB, and its very comfortable for me, different body types I guess.

I'm not worried about falling backwards on the small of my back. I think people usually fall on their sides anyways, never straight back. Unless you got knocked out by someone... shouldn't have gotten that far though, know what I mean? :wink:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Speaking as someone with two crushed vertebrea I strongly recommend trying out other options first. It's your risk to evaluate. Think carefully.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Being a lefty, I bought a right handed holster for SOB position with my Kel-Tec P3AT. I've only worn it around the house and practiced drawing with it a bit. I haven't actually carried with it yet. I've found it to be very comfortable with an untucked shirt. Drawing from it takes some extra concentration at first, so that you don't sweep your body while doing so. Personally, I don't think falling on your back and landing on a relatively flat P3AT would be that bad (but I haven't tested that theory). And yes, I have been formally introduced to Miss Lower Back Pain, and avoid her if possible.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I slipped on some ice this winter and landed SQUARE on my back. Had I been wearing a SOB holster, there could have been a major problem. I've also been involved in force-on-force training and landed on my back, though not quite as squarely.

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
Two concerns I have always had about SOB carry were, drawing from a sitting position, especially like in a car when you are leaning back and if you are attacked from behind, like a bearhug for instance.

bd

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with not carrying in the SOB. As a prison guard we are taught not to carry anything on our belt, cuffs or whatnot, in the small of the back for the fact that someone may strike you there, intentionally or not, and cause serious spinal damage. If you fall it may be just as bad.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i agree wit hthe back issue but i still cary this way. if tis for you its for you but i really like it . i use the blade tech sob for my 4 inch forty and it conceals very well and its comfortable sitting , as i write this i have it on and it doesnt bother me . as far as sitting and drawing just make a habit while in the car to not sit on your shirt . i personally like it and it conceals the best for me and yes i put it to the test . my girlfriend with out her knowing i wear around the house and she can tell when im wearing a iwb or a pancake or paddel but when i wear the sob she can never tell. as a matter of fact she tried to kick me in the butt and ended up hurting her toe cause she didnt see me wearing the sob . but like i said the chance of hurting your back is a issue

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not only is it bad if you fall but think of this (Bad guy notice's gun all he or she has to do is grab gun tilt backwards slightly pull trigger you now have large hole is lower back, chances of that happening SLIM) is it worth the risk thats your decision.) I am know expert and don't claim to be just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
875 Posts
As long as you are not planning on sitting down SOB isn't so bad. If I conceal my J frame SOB it and then sit in my car it is not much fun. I prefer a strongside belt holster any day.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I commute on a motorcycle more often than not, and I originally considered SOB as a carry option for that purpose. Not that I would need to draw while riding ( :shock: ), just that the rest of your front parts are pretty much squashed to metal while riding and SOB would be most comfortable. Then I thought of what even a low-speed fall on my back would feel like with a metal object lodged squarely at the base of my spine, and decided against it (shudder)

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I think the drawing without sweeping some part of your body would be the toughest part. That's why so few of the top instructors / writers don't recomment SOB. I do know a guy who is really happy with the mexican carry though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Honestly, there really are NO pros to SOB carry.. and in self defense situation its too far to have to reach for your firearm.. you could expose your concealed firearm alot easier that way too.. imo best place to carry concealed would be with a decent iwb holster, strong side almost directly under your arm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts