Springfield XD Forum banner

Properly gripping the XD

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  sloopy70 
#1 ·
Okay, so what I'm trying to do is get my grip as high up on the bore axis as possible while also avoiding slide tats. However, when I fire the last round from my magazine, about half the time I end up releasing the slide because my thumb kind of rests on the slide stop lever. I've tried gripping the pistol with my thumb actually on the thumb rest/indentation and it feels like there's too much gun "above" my hands and I'd lose control of it when if fire.

What are you guys/gals doing? What works best for you? I have noticed that if I keep the tip of my thumb tip away from the slide stop lever, I do a little better (slide actually locks to the rear). I guess I'm looking for more of a 1911-style grip but I have nothing upon which to rest my thumb.

Taking suggestions.

#2 ·
?? Looking how I hold my 40 service, my hand almost doesn't have enough room. My thumb is pretty much on the thumb rest area. So I guess I don't understand the Qs...
My hand cannot go any higher. To me it doesn't feel like there is too much gun or feels "top heavy".... do you have small hands?? I guess if your 5'5" maybe the gun would feel top heavy... ?

#3 ·
GO to the springerprecision.com website and find the grip video.... OR if your really interested in learning proper shooting techniqe go to United States Practical Shooting Association and find your nearest local club using the club locator on the right... attend one of these matches... there is an infinite amount of learning to do there...

#4 ·
#7 ·
I know this is a different weapon, but reading this post really helped my shooting out.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-hs2k-sa-xd-talk/30361-gripping-subcompact-step-step.html
This is exactly what I was looking for. My grip is almost exactly the same as in the pics, however, my right thumb usually rested against the weapon as opposed to resting on my left thumb/hand/thumb-knuckle/whatever part that is.

Here ya go...
Thanks for that pic as well, sloopy70. Overall, I think I have a good starting point to work on my gripping technique. Thanks again everyone.

#9 ·
If you rest the thumb on the gun, you will most likely over grip it with your strong hand, which is not good. The photo is a good one, though I rotate my weak hand wrist further forward.

The Combat Handgun Grip
Same here. Sloopy's grip is very good. Mine weak (L) hand is a bit heigher and rotated more, but the same fundamentals. If your weak hand is where it should be, your strong hand shouldn't be able to interfere with the slide lock. I used to shoot with my strong hand inside (closer to the gun), and wrap my weak hand around it...I changed that and I am shooting much better now!

#10 ·
If you rest the thumb on the gun, you will most likely over grip it with your strong hand, which is not good. The photo is a good one, though I rotate my weak hand wrist further forward.

The Combat Handgun Grip
Ditto!!

Thanks for providing the Pic sloopy70 ... It saved some looking.

#11 ·
My right thumb is in-between my left palm and the thumb rest. Looking at Sloppy70's pic, my right thumb is never that high...
If you put your thumb between your palm and the gun you are sacrificing alot of surface/friction area that helps control recoil...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.