Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to the site, also new owner of the XDM.45ACP. Are there any tips i should do before firing the weapon for the first time. i am new to the polymer framed ACP. thanks for any/all advice

·
Registered
109 Posts
not sure why no one is responding.

in my case, i picked up my xdm and 3 days later i took it out for a shoot. did absolutely nothing but inspect the thing before i shot it. no hiccups whatsoever.

i did watch a ton of youtube videos of people shooting it just to see it in action. (youtube user hickock45 is a great resource). but again, not required.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
This has been discussed many times.
Short answer nothing is required.
I always field strip (or more) a gun before I shoot it the first time. Then I spray it down with gun scrubber and reoil as needed. BTW I use MiliTec oil and grease. Oil on the action and grease on the sliding parts. Lots use various oils all over.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the XDm .45 ACP club. I would recommend that you lube your XDm before you take it to the range. Lightly oil your slide rails and contact points around the barrel both at the muzzle and at the chamber. ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
nope just bring plenty of ammo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
plenty of ammo it is. thanks

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
While just bringing ammo and something to wipe the smile off your face is the minimum, it's better to field strip it and clean it as if you had just fired it BEFORE first firing. You really don't know if the bore is clear and clean unless you clean it. Using a tooth pick and some quality grease on the rails is good too. Not required as the gun is happy enough running dry.

Just be sure you DON'T oil the striker. Powder residue will build up in the channel and if you added oil it will turn to sludge, eventually resulting in light strikes and mis-fires. I like to take the striker out, clean it and the channel then spray with 100% silicone - but any "dry" lube that leaves no residue is ok. However, you can just clean it and leave it bone dry. As long as it's dry, the powder residue is able to get out and you won't have any issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts