Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had Glocks, I was advised to lubricate them in a few strategic places using Breakfree. However, with my XDm 3.8I have been using Slide Glide. It occurred to me that if the Breakfree worked for the Glocks, it should work for the XDm, and there would be no issue of picking up lint in the Slide Glide. (1.) Is there a consensus on this, and;(2.) If Breakfree is the way to go, where should it be applied?

HiCap

·
Registered
480 Posts
I couldn't find any diagram for the XDm but here's one for XD9... I saw this one from the Gunsmithing and Maintenance Forum.

I use and apply a small amount of Gunslick's Ultra-Lube gun oil on the gun's lubrication points and I use Eezox on the outer surface of the slide for corrosion protection.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
IMO...nothing wrong with Breakfree. 20+ years ago, this all the military used to clean and lubricate their small arms. Use sparingly for your lube anywhere metal to metal is riding and locking up.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I run my daily carry XD9SC almost dry. It's well broken in, and the parts fit is nice and smooth. It gets a thorough cleaning with Hoppe's after every range session, even if it's only a few rounds. I wipe it dry with a chamois. I MIGHT put a toothpick point dab of gun grease on the slide rails. NEVER grease or oil the striker channel. I wouldn't use any type of silicone-based lubricant because of the residue it leaves. YMMV

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
NEVER grease or oil the striker channel. I wouldn't use any type of silicone-based lubricant because of the residue it leaves. YMMV

That's good advice! I do however use a silicone dry lube on the striker and in the channel. Probably any "dry lube" that leaves no residue would be ok or just running it totally dry. Bone dry is way better than even on drop of oil.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I use Breakfree to clean my xd's then use one drop of oil on rails. That's it. easy and quick. My guns have worked flawless for years. I do more with my 1911 of course.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Call me crazy but I have even used vaseline to lube guns.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Call me crazy but I have even used vaseline to lube guns.
I was thinks of Mentholatum.....

But seriously, should one lube the edges of the slide that ride the rails, or the rails themselves ? And what about the non-metal polymer rear slide guides, would it be better here to use oil or grease. I have a big can of wheel bearing grease and a thin film of this might work great ...or might not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Use FROGLUBE for both cleaning and lubing in one process. It really is the best stuff me and my family have ever come across in 60+ years of firearm ownership.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Use FROGLUBE for both cleaning and lubing in one process. It really is the best stuff me and my family have ever come across in 60+ years of firearm ownership.
Where do you get your FROGLUBE? It looks expensive everywhere. I have been thinking of switching.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think that I am definitely going to try out the Froglube! I have watched videos and I think that it is awesome. I like the fact that it is all natural. I have only used Hoppes, but it is harsh. I am going to get some Froglube now. I have heard nothing bad about it yet.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Just slather on some bacon grease and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Just slather on some bacon grease and call it a day.
Dang it, tried it, but the gun would get hot and I'd get hungry! :rolleyes:

I stick to CLP. Detail (or pretty much so) clean, then wipe down with silicone rag.
Touch of miltec on wear points.

I use foam make up applicators and they work great. Just a drop on the tip, run it along the rails and slide where ever you see wear. Just a thin film. Works great.
Don't end up having it run out anywhere.

I use the same technique on all my weapons.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts