Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from the range with the new XD9 with 170 rounds through it; what is the proper method for cleaning the bore? I understand how to maintain the rest of the gun but the bore has got the best of me.

What I have done is swab with a patch soaked in solvent, let sit, run the bore brush through, swab again with solvent and repeat this process another two or three times. Then run a dry patch through, then an oiled patch and then another dry patch to leave just light oil.

The finish inside looks shiny, but there are still scuff marks, wear marks on and inside the the rifling. The guy at my LGS said that the bore should look perfectly clean and with a mirror finish. What is acceptable for a clean bore?

Oh, by the way you guys are the best. Keep up the awesome work and thanks for helping out all the XD newbs including me.

Blane :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
i usually take a tooth brush soaked in Hopps #9 and dab it in the chamber and let it sit in while im cleaning the rest of the gun then take a wire or plastic bore brush and run it threw a couple times then run a patch with solvent then a dry patch then i run a patch with "bore Lube" it came with my cleaning kit then run a couple dry ones in it. some times ill take a cut up hanes T shirt and stuff it threw the barrel to make sure i get all the dirt, solvent, lead and burnt powder out. usually comes out looking brand new.

I always clean my gun though even if i put 20 rounds threw it! lol i cant stand having a dirty gun. i always have this feeling that the spent powder is going to cause some kind of corrison in my gun :O that and i dont want any rust problems with my slide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blefferd, are there still scuff type marks inside your barell? Mine looks totally clean but there are what look like scuff marks and they don't seem to be coming out. :?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Neltech said:
Blefferd, are there still scuff type marks inside your barell? Mine looks totally clean but there are what look like scuff marks and they don't seem to be coming out. :?

i just checked mine and it has the light scuff marks on the sides of the rifelings i always assumed they where normal wear but like stunksinatl said im sure its prolly just copper deposits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is it true that with a fully clean bore there should be no scuff like marks on the rifling? Is the process of getting the barell to a like new finish very lengthy and is it needed to be kept in ths condition constantly or just finished this way once in a while?
My bore is very clean as far as fouling or dirt goes and all dry patches come out clean. But if I soak with solvent then brush and then swab, the patch come out with a good black residue. I have repeted this process four times and still the scuffs remain.
Any tips would be great, thanks again. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
No point getting every last bit of fouling out of a pistol barrel. Your first shot through a clean barrel will put it right back in there.

If you get 90% of the fouling out, and keep the chamber and crown clean, that will serve you well for the life of the pistol.

I will say that Blue Wonder does a better job than most bore solvents I've used. It seems to work quickest, at any rate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts