Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project M14 started simple enough. First, we took a standard Springfield Armory M1A with synthetic stock, added a Harris bipod and adapter, Nikon Monarch 3.3-10x44 glass, Warne tactical rings, scope covers, and an A.R.M.S. mount/base. Next, we sent her off to Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville, TN for a unified gas system, trigger job, stock bedding, and paint job. It came back shooting sub-2MOA, but the Flat Dark Earth looked more like Flat Dark Pudding. Something wasn't right with the color scheme. It needed something else.

So, last weekend the boys and I got some Mission Specific Duracoat from Lauer Custom Weaponry and decided to "get creative." With Flat Dark Earth as our base, we first applied some Woodland Brown to create contrast. I used some banana plant leaves from the backyard to create naturally smooth lines. The leaves were placed about 1-2 inches from the surface of the rifle and I sprayed from another 6 inches back. The technique worked well with a fast sweeping motion.

After letting that cook in the backyard for an hour, I came back and applied Woodland Tan as an accent. The results speak for themselves. It was a quick, easy, and inexpensive upgrade. Best of all: if the project had become a train wreck, Mission Specific paint can easily be removed without damaging the base coat. So, start with a traditional Duracoat base and go crazy with Mission Specific paint. It worked for us.

Have a good one.
-- Evan

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Love the gun, but love the boxer even more. I have one and they are a wonderful breed. Congrats on both!

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
iam a a sick fan of the boxer dog if i could tell you had a boxer form the rear quarters, despite never owning one myself. i was already to post up: show a pic of the boxer ! then scroll down sure enough there it is

Gawd dang i need me a pup.

sweet gun.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
are you a giant, or is your girl like 4'11?

good looking pup, he looks pretty well muscled up on that bridge stretching out.

I'm 6'3 and she is 5' even, so it's more her being short than me being extremely tall. He is definitely a tank, but can be the sweetest guy in the world. He is able to tip toe around our 3 lbs shltzu pup without ever hurting her (he is about 70-75 lbs). He is also extremly alert and intimidating to those who don't know him, and I have no doubt that he would protect me and my wife.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm 6'3 and she is 5' even, so it's more her being short than me being extremely tall. He is definitely a tank, but can be the sweetest guy in the world. He is able to tip toe around our 3 lbs shltzu pup without ever hurting her (he is about 70-75 lbs). He is also extremly alert and intimidating to those who don't know him, and I have no doubt that he would protect me and my wife.
Sounds like me and my fiancee. I'm 6'4" shes 5'2". He is a tank. He's so stocky at first I thought he was an american bull.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Sounds like me and my fiancee. I'm 6'4" shes 5'2". He is a tank. He's so stocky at first I thought he was an american bull.

I get that American Bulldog comment a lot. For those who are very ignorant to dogs, some ask if he is a Pit. He obviously looks nothing like a Pit with those huge slobbery jowls :D.

Sorry I got this thread off track! That really is a beautiful rifle!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
What is this unified gas thing your talking about?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
+1
I'm 6'1" and she is 4'9".

That is a very nice gun, and pup.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Great rifle cool dog...But That rifle out of the box should be shooting sub MOA with the work I would expect .5 MOA or better...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I get that American Bulldog comment a lot. For those who are very ignorant to dogs, some ask if he is a Pit. He obviously looks nothing like a Pit with those huge slobbery jowls :D.

Sorry I got this thread off track! That really is a beautiful rifle!
He's obviously cooler than any hateful pit ever thought of being

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Project M14 started simple enough. First, we took a standard Springfield Armory M1A with synthetic stock, added a Harris bipod and adapter, Nikon Monarch 3.3-10x44 glass, Warne tactical rings, scope covers, and an A.R.M.S. mount/base. Next, we sent her off to Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville, TN for a unified gas system, trigger job, stock bedding, and paint job. It came back shooting sub-2MOA, but the Flat Dark Earth looked more like Flat Dark Pudding. Something wasn't right with the color scheme. It needed something else.

So, last weekend the boys and I got some Mission Specific Duracoat from Lauer Custom Weaponry and decided to "get creative." With Flat Dark Earth as our base, we first applied some Woodland Brown to create contrast. I used some banana plant leaves from the backyard to create naturally smooth lines. The leaves were placed about 1-2 inches from the surface of the rifle and I sprayed from another 6 inches back. The technique worked well with a fast sweeping motion.

After letting that cook in the backyard for an hour, I came back and applied Woodland Tan as an accent. The results speak for themselves. It was a quick, easy, and inexpensive upgrade. Best of all: if the project had become a train wreck, Mission Specific paint can easily be removed without damaging the base coat. So, start with a traditional Duracoat base and go crazy with Mission Specific paint. It worked for us.

Have a good one.
-- Evan

Sweet gun. I'm thinking of committing on a M1a Match this Feb. 1st. I think nthe SA M1A is the sweetest, sexyest rifle in the world

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is this unified gas thing your talking about?
It's a way to regulate the gas pressure up front so that it is more consistent from shot to shot. Tighter groups.

Sure, we wish this thing would shoot sub-MOA. But, the only way to achieve that is to re-barrel the damn thing-- and that's too expensive. This one fits the budget and our requirements. We only need MOM (minute of man) accuracy in a battle rifle.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Great paint job on a beautiful rifle!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts