Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I'm giving the Edge back to my Dad and gonna shoot production for a year or two lol.

Just got a couple questions about gear. Right now I'm using a Double Alpha belt and I think I'll pick up 5 of the Double Alpha mag pouches.
My question is, would 5 mags on my belt and one in the pocket to start the stage off with be enough typically? Or will I need another puch or two? Also will the DA stuff be legal? I'm pretty sure as long as it's behind my hip bone and lined parallel with my body I'll be ok right?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I assume you are talking about USPSA Production division.

I carry 4 mags in mag pouches and 1 in my pocket to load the gun at the start of the stage. I've never run out of ammo in a stage. Most stages have a round count of about 24 rounds, now you may need more if you miss a lot. But if you are missing that much you need to slow down and shoot accurately.

My then 13 year old son came close to running out a couple of times when he shot production. Now he shoots revolver and uses 5 speed loaders on his belt and one to charge the gun at the beginning of the stage.

I'm not familiar with the Double Alpha holster.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
So.. I'm giving the Edge back to my Dad and gonna shoot production for a year or two lol.

Just got a couple questions about gear. Right now I'm using a Double Alpha belt and I think I'll pick up 5 of the Double Alpha mag pouches.
My question is, would 5 mags on my belt and one in the pocket to start the stage off with be enough typically?
That should be enough.

Or will I need another puch or two? Also will the DA stuff be legal?

Should be legal.

I'm pretty sure as long as it's behind my hip bone and lined parallel with my body I'll be ok right?

Make sure you check the diagram in the USPSA manual for placement. I found out that I was wearing mine too far back and I could move it forward a little. I was alligning it with the seam on my pants and realized that my pants are cut with my seam about 3 inches back from my "hip" bone (it points at the pelvic bone in the diagram). Of course that could be because I am a curvy woman!

:D

·
Registered
688 Posts
......Also will the DA stuff be legal? ....
Double check your Handgun Model against the approved USPSA list just to be sure. Not everything is legal. Welcome.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Double check your Handgun Model against the approved USPSA list just to be sure. Not everything is legal. Welcome.
Howdy Bob!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What the ichy?!

Mags just have to be placed behind the point of your hip. Also I'll just shoot my XD. My Dad moved to Austin so the Edge and safe will be going with him since for right now I'm a bit of a wanderer atm lol.

Also the only reason I think I need so many mags is that our match director around here LOVES giving us 45 or so round count stages lol. He does about one a match just for the hell of it and I want to make sure I can reload when I want to instead of pushing hits because I'll let one or two fly every now and then on plates.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Always have one more mag than the highest round count stage.

32 round stage, have 4 mags on the belt. The one in the gun and 2 mag changes leaves you with an extra for misses and an "OH SH!T!" mag for backup.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i use 4 on the belt and one on the pocket to start the stage... only once have i almost ran out when our RO setup the stage with 6 8" round steel plates at 35 yrds being part of it.... they are a little hard to hit but thats the only stage i had trouble with.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not worried about misses so much as I am our MD puttin up those 45 round stages. I want to make sure I can reload where I want to, not where I have enough mags to lol.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gah... 61? Thats 3 mags right now! lol this may not work, heck i may go 6 cuz the oh sh!t mags are always nice to have when you need em.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
LOL! Production is 10 rounds max per mag so that is 6 mags plus your "Barney" round. Any stage that uses all of those = YUCK!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the rules for mag count in production lol..
What I was saying was that NOW with the STI 61 rounds is 3 mags.

Note the "thats 3 mags right now" lol. What I was getting at was that I knew it was only 10 a mag, but I hadn't thought it out to that 3 of my SV mags=6 mags in production. I mean I knew thats how it was, I just hadn't really taken it into consideration.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Ever shoot a Texas Star? Better stick a couple more mags in your pocket! Spinning 8" steel plates suck mags dry real fast :eek:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My first attempt at a Texas star I was ohhhhhhhh 12? I ran a 170mm mag dry lol. Sadly that red dot or the 28ish rounds did nothing for me. Man that was embarassing.

Then the next stage was Pack em and Stack em. I was still so flustered from the start that i BOMBED it lol. It was a bad bad day.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
My husband decided my first moving target EVER would be the star...he is a bastard! ;)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My husband decided my first moving target EVER would be the star...he is a bastard! ;)

Stars are fun!!

First one I ever shot I cleared in 5 rounds. Don't think I've done it very often since then. Usually takes me 6 rounds, I get going too fast and screw one shot up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I remember shooting a 30 round stage at a sectional match. The stage basically had 5 shooting positions with 2 paper and 2 steel at each location. All the production (& limited 10) shooters basically needed to reload 4 times!!

It was funny watching a fellow GM retreat to pick up a previousily dropped magazine when his last mag failed him. Moral of the story.... Don't shoot a 10-round division without the ability to carry 5 spare mags on your belt!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts