Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II Optics Ready Magpul MOE M-LOK

Well I guess procrastination killed the cat. I should have gotten a great AR-15 back before the firearm shortage. I thought I'd buy an entry level AR and add onto it as I find I need fit. I was able to finally snag one which don't laugh is a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II Optics Ready Magpul MOE M-LOK. 30+1, so at least it's something which is better than nothing. Down the road I could look at a finer quality one, or have the patience to build one when time permits. But here is the kicker! No AMMO around. I see SGammo it out of stock on almost everything. I am not going to ask that question, what ammo should I buy? I will stick with known mfg's Federal, Winchester, Remington, etc if I can find any. As soon as I do, I will get to the practice range! One thing I don't get is some ammo called Spirepoint soft Point Hornady Frontie - that is is made by Lake City. I will do some research on that one, I see they have a 20 box at $17.95.

They did have ammo in the back HSM Re-manufactured 223 Remington 55gr SP Rifle Ammo - 500 Rounds @0.57 cents a round.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats. Yeah if you don’t have ammo on hand you’re pretty much out of luck. Going to extend into 2021 no doubt.
Thank you, maybe after the election things will settle down. But more than likely your are right 2021.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At nearly $1.00 a round, I'd get enough to fill one mag and put that project on hold until ammo is back in stock. Then practice shooting it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thank you! A couple of weeks ago when I was luck enough to pick up a Sig P320 M17, the dealer did sell me a few boxes of 9mm target ammo they kept for people who were purchasing. When I got to my vehicle I loaded the Mag for it with an extra box of Federal HST I keep in the vehicle. Point being no firearm unless it for display should be empty. So if I am lucky to find at least a box to load one mag, it will have something in it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thank you! A couple of weeks ago when I was luck enough to pick up a Sig P320 M17, the dealer did sell me a few boxes of 9mm target ammo they kept for people who were purchasing. When I got to my vehicle I loaded the Mag for it with an extra box of Federal HST I keep in the vehicle. Point being no firearm unless it for display should be empty. So if I am lucky to find at least a box to load one mag, it will have something in it.
Yep, I agree with that. I don't have a single unloaded gun in my house/vehicles/body. Good luck on the ammo search. I wish I could stumble across some 9 or 45 at standard pricing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
M193 55 gr ammo is usually available online. There is good ammo out there, just keep looking.
Thank you for the M193 55 gr ammo suggestion. I will keep a watch out and keep searching!

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
At nearly $1.00 a round, I'd get enough to fill one mag and put that project on hold until ammo is back in stock. Then practice shooting it.

If this rifle—or ANY firearm—is for defensive use, I'd run at least a couple hundred rounds through it to zero the optics and make certain it's reliable, as well as get acquainted with the platform.

My life is worth that expense.

I will never just load a mag of X ammo and call it good to go without verifying function & accuracy first...that's just setting yourself up for a rude surpride.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If this rifle is for defensive use, I'd run at least a couple hundred rounds through it to zero the optics and make certain it's reliable, as well as get acquainted with the platform.

My life is worth that expense.
I'm assuming that this isn't his only gun.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will never just load a mag of X ammo and call it good to go without verifying function & accuracy first...that's just setting yourself up for a rude surprise.
Good point! It would not be the first firearm to grab for self defense, I have a few others. But good point! When the time for the range, and enough ammo is available I will for sure get a few hundred through. Nothing like rutroe, click!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm assuming that this isn't his only gun.

Yes I have a few for EDC and in my vehicle, even the boat! Thank you!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I actually own a couple guns that I've taken in on trade and have never fired. I've disassembled, cleaned them, checked for basically (dry fire) functionality, loaded them and stored them in the safe. If the time ever came that I had to defend my family, they would be the last guns I grabbed. Once I've exhausted all loaded mags from my other guns I'd trust those guns over trying to load a mag for a trusted gun during a gun fight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree, and the baseball bat is here too!

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
@masterchither - Get magazines now.

Their prices have yet to go too high (although it's already climbing). Grab for the time being one each of the Gen2 PMag, Gen3 PMag, Lancer L5AWM, Okay/Surefeed, and Brownell's/D&H. See what your gun will drop free and reliably achieve insertion with: Chuck Pressburg Talks Downloading AR-15 Magazines

Once you''ve managed to spec that portion of the equation out, buy a couple of ten-packs at bulk-discount.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@masterchither - Get magazines now.

Their prices have yet to go too high (although it's already climbing). Grab for the time being one each of the Gen2 PMag, Gen3 PMag, Lancer L5AWM, Okay/Surefeed, and Brownell's/D&H. See what your gun will drop free and reliably achieve insertion with: Chuck Pressburg Talks Downloading AR-15 Magazines

Once you''ve managed to spec that portion of the equation out, buy a couple of ten-packs at bulk-discount.
Awesome! Thank you for the Tip. The rifle is being shipped now to the store, and it's a great tip!

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
7 Posts
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II Optics Ready Magpul MOE M-LOK

Well I guess procrastination killed the cat. I should have gotten a great AR-15 back before the firearm shortage. I thought I'd buy an entry level AR and add onto it as I find I need fit. I was able to finally snag one which don't laugh is a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II Optics Ready Magpul MOE M-LOK. 30+1, so at least it's something which is better than nothing. Down the road I could look at a finer quality one, or have the patience to build one when time permits. But here is the kicker! No AMMO around. I see SGammo it out of stock on almost everything. I am not going to ask that question, what ammo should I buy? I will stick with known mfg's Federal, Winchester, Remington, etc if I can find any. As soon as I do, I will get to the practice range! One thing I don't get is some ammo called Spirepoint soft Point Hornady Frontie - that is is made by Lake City. I will do some research on that one, I see they have a 20 box at $17.95.

Semper Fi
I bought 10,000 rounds before this hit of 5.56 and 2000 rounds of .40 cal so I'm good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep, I agree with that. I don't have a single unloaded gun in my house/vehicles/body. Good luck on the ammo search. I wish I could stumble across some 9 or 45 at standard pricing.

It's here in quantity but at .50 cents a round for 9mm. I use all .40 cal and 5.56 and am stocked well

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got about 1,000 rounds of 9 (and several guns to shoot it) and a couple hundred rounds of 45 (only my 1911 is 45). I probably have 1,000 rounds of 223/5.56 and 3,000 rounds of 22LR.

So I'm not OUT by any means. I'm just not comfortably stocked.

I've got some self defense 40 cal that I'd trade to someone for 9/45 if they were close enough for it to make sense.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's here in quantity but at .50 cents a round for 9mm. I use all .40 cal and 5.56 and am stocked well
I did pick up a few hundred rounds at Academy for about $0.33/round a couple months ago. I didn't realize at the time it was as bad as it is. I've been back several times and the only ammo they seem to get is 12/20 gauge these days. Walls and walls of 12 and 20 gauge.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts