Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering buying a Springfield Mil-Spec in stainless. I don't intend to carry it. It'll be a range and home protection piece. Does the stainless scratch or discolor any more so than a blued or Parkarized finish? I'm okay with the usual wear marks. I consider that "character". This will not be a safe queen. If I own it, I shoot it.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
SS is pretty tough. It doesn't get holster wear like that of the blued guns. As long as you treat it like any other gun and take care of it then you won't have any problems. Also if it does get scratched or marred and you aren't happy with it you can take it to a G-smith and have it buffed out depending on where the marr is. I prefer SS over Park/blue but that's more of a personal preference.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Bluing and Parkerizing are surface finishes. Stainless goes all the way through; it's the alloy. You can't wear the stainlessness off, and stainless tends to be pretty tough in addition.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
the nice thing i like about SS is that I can buff out any "Character marks".
try that with blued or parker finishes

p.s. the resale value is always much higher as it is desired more with older firearms, well even new ones too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys. This is just the kind of encouragement I need. My wife says I'm encouragable but I don't think this is what she means:confused: I'm starting to see that new stainless Mil-Spec next to my XD9 next to my Ruger Mark I (with lots of character). Sounds like the start of a good collection. I'll post photos when I get it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
:) I have a MkI with "lots of character" from 1955. That one was my dad's. They'll have to climb over a pile of their colleagues to pry that one from my cold dead fingers.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks Guys. This is just the kind of encouragement I need. My wife says I'm encouragable but I don't think this is what she means:confused: I'm starting to see that new stainless Mil-Spec next to my XD9 next to my Ruger Mark I (with lots of character). Sounds like the start of a good collection. I'll post photos when I get it.
Ha, my wife calls me "incorrigible", which might be a bit more appropriate for some of us gun enthusiasts.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
The only downside of a stainless finish is that it reflects light. If the gun were being used at Oh-dark thirty and a reflection of of the gun revealed your location to the bad guy, things might not turn out the way you would like.

A scratch on a smooth faced stainless would be easier to buff out than say one on my mirco-beaded Smith 1911.

A finish that I would steer away from is nickle plating. If you use an aggressive copper cleaner it will attack the nickle plating.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The only downside of a stainless finish is that it reflects light. If the gun were being used at Oh-dark thirty and a reflection of of the gun revealed your location to the bad guy, things might not turn out the way you would like.
ah the classic reflection giving you away line...
Since when has everyone become some ninja that is stalking in the dark with an unholstered gun? Does anyone have an actual experience with this, hell even a second hand story of such instances? Are we having quick draw competitions in the dark now a days?

First off, if you have your gun out and the bad guy doesn't know where you are, one would question your need to draw your weapon, let alone why you are waving it around to catch the light.

Second, suffice it to say if you are having to draw your gun and use it, regardless of the finish color/material, your day is not going to go too well, even if you win.

My advise, get the finish/material you want. I have both blued and stainless guns. i don't worry about glints of light giving away my position. I like the fact that stainless is a through and through finish and is more corrosion resistant than other finishes.

just my 2c

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
While I agree with the sentiment of getting the finish you want, I still maintain that reflection of the weapon is a consideration.

When would I have my pistol out and hopefully not having the bad guy know where I am - clearing my house. I should have an advantage since I know the terrain better and I need every advantage I can beg, buy or steal. Do I have stainless guns, yes. Do I trust them, yes. Is my nightstand gun stainless - no.

But, if I jump out of bed in the middle of the night and start clearing the house in my birthday suit, my dayglo white finish would probably offset the non reflective finish on my pistol quite nicely. I guess as a mall ninja, I should start sleeping wearing some cammo suit of some sorts.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
While I agree with the sentiment of getting the finish you want, I still maintain that reflection of the weapon is a consideration.

When would I have my pistol out and hopefully not having the bad guy know where I am - clearing my house. I should have an advantage since I know the terrain better and I need every advantage I can beg, buy or steal. Do I have stainless guns, yes. Do I trust them, yes. Is my nightstand gun stainless - no.

But, if I jump out of bed in the middle of the night and start clearing the house in my birthday suit, my dayglo white finish would probably offset the non reflective finish on my pistol quite nicely. I guess as a mall ninja, I should start sleeping wearing some cammo suit of some sorts.
Cammo jammies are for wannabes.

Real operators just wear bodypaint.;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I figure the muzzel flash will give away my position before anything else does. I ordered a SST Mil Spec yesterday. I'll post photos when I get it. Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Reflecting? Reflecting what? I thought we were in the dark here. If there's a light source strong enough to reflect off stainless, it's going to show you just as well, unless you've jumped into your ninja suit before clearing the house.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
perhaps on a polished stainless gun.
although most are satin finish

I feel you have the reflective boogyman haunting you.
we are not hunting here, are we?

A finish that I would steer away from is nickle plating. If you use an aggressive copper cleaner it will attack the nickle plating.
CAN harm- if the plating is thin or peeling, or especially left on or soaking in for toooo long

the newer electroless nickel plating contains no copper.
and your theory is mute

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
my theory has always been its easier to ID a shiny gun allowing for faster comprehension. if I"m about to get jumped i don't want them to know whats coming until they hear a bang.

I also think ccw if a sliver of the gun is uncovered they are more likely to notice it sticking out of my holster.

·
Registered
19,924 Posts
I love stainless and nickel guns for their looks.

I'm not really a fan of blued revolvers unless it's a nice high polish.

given the option of finishes, I'll take stainless over just about anything else every time.

That said, I reaaaaallly want an Ed Brown Executive Carry.

mmmm sweet sweet stainless...

that's not an executive...but still. mmmmm.

·
Registered
185 Posts
S.S. reflection, not a problem. have carried a S.S. 1911 for 10+ years and no one has noticed, even the Florida sun doesnt reflect off my ccw. guess thats why its concealed. hunting, no problem own 2 different hunting rifles both in S.S., never had a deer or hog run away from any glare or reflection, and in the Florida heat, humidity and swamps S.S. makes alot of sense. cannot beat S.S. for easier cleaning and maintenance. my .02 worth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts