Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was making some loads for my 357sig with a Hornady powder measure . Every 10 or 20 cases I put a measure of powder on the scales. Since switching over to the pistol scale it has always seemed to go up or down a grain or so. So anyway last night I'm making some loads and then I noticed that the case didn't look very full. It went from 8.0 grains to about 3 or 4 of Longshot. So I made the adjustment and went back to loading then not long after, it did it again. This is dangerous, so today I sent for a MTM digital scale with tare weight capabilities. That way the loads can be measured easier, faster and most importantly more accurate while loading on the fly, because I can't trust the measure any more. Any suggestions on a powder measure or what's wrong?

·
Registered
9 Posts
New to reloading but a few things you may or may not have tried its a very simple machine only a few things can make it go wrong mechanically looking at it I would try to take it apart and clean it might have gotten a clump stuck or some powder stuck to the walls and not all is falling into brass

·
Registered
950 Posts
You need to take it apart and clean it with Hornady one shot dry lube or another dry lube. I had a problem with it when I first got it but after reading the Hornady instructions that say to do so throws dead on. Powder sticks to the oil it comes packed with like mad.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
In-activity for a while and high humidity will cause powder to "stick" to the plastic powder bin on the measurer. If you were starting from an empty powder tube and just filled it with longshot (or any other powder) some sticking occurs until the tube gets some graphite coating on the inside from the powder. When this happens run about 20 loads into a bowl and dump all back into the bin. It will quit sticking about that time. When opperating the handle give it a firm thump at the end of each stroke during those 20 drops. It will even out after doing this procedure. Sticking does not usually happen if the powder was already in the tube after your last session. There is nothing wrong mechanicly with the measurer. I use the same measurer and have for years.

Now, a good habit to get into is to measure all the first 10 or so loads when first starting up. Get a powder trickler if you don't already have one and when a load comes up 1/10 gr or 2/10 gr short trickel it up to exact weight. Because I don't shoot hundreds of rounds each month, I measure 100% of my loads. The measurer is very accurate. I set the measurer 1/10 gr low and have my scale sitting next to the measurer and drop the powder into the scale cup, then set it on the scale and trickel up to exact weight. Works for me, and I never have any problems.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Be sure that the drop tube (extension that goes into the powder die) is tight and lubed with One Shot or some type of dry lube. Mine runs dead solid perfect on most powders unless that tube gets a little loose. Powder check die lets me know when there is something wrong.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a little time today, so it was set screw on the barrel. Tightened it up, now it don't move so easy. I bought used several years ago so there is no instructions.

You guys are great, it has set for some time, so I am going to do what you guys said. Going to take it apart and clean, dry lube it. Then run through about 20 loads when starting out.

Still excited about getting the digital scales, will give a product report. Should have ordered a trickler though.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
First let me say I am pretty frugal (cheap). I use the Lee powder through expander die since I don't need it for my LNL. Install the die in the 3rd station and adjust to where the case doesn't contact it on the way up. Use rubber washer sized to fit inside the top of the die and fit the proper sized wooden dowel rod for the ammo you are reloading. Once you have your powder measure set and throws are consistent use an O-ring on the dowel rod set even to the top of the open die. If the O-ring shows to be too high or too low you have a problem. Works as well as powder cop dies; you need to see that O-ring rise and fall on each pull. Since I had unused dies I thought it was worth a shot and it so far has not failed.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
First let me say I am pretty frugal (cheap). I use the Lee powder through expander die since I don't need it for my LNL. Install the die in the 3rd station and adjust to where the case doesn't contact it on the way up. Use rubber washer sized to fit inside the top of the die and fit the proper sized wooden dowel rod for the ammo you are reloading. Once you have your powder measure set and throws are consistent use an O-ring on the dowel rod set even to the top of the open die. If the O-ring shows to be too high or too low you have a problem. Works as well as powder cop dies; you need to see that O-ring rise and fall on each pull. Since I had unused dies I thought it was worth a shot and it so far has not failed.
Great idea Pops! Beats $30 for a COP die & does the same thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts