Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am not sure if you have seen this before, but my slide is completely STUCK!

I was reassembling the gun and the feed ramp for the barrel got wedged in the locking block in the frame.

Below are the pictures. Any suggestions? I mean it wont budge! :confused::confused::confused:

HELP!

-J

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
this one is the one

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-gunsmithing-maintenance/45123-fix-slide-stuck.html

here are a few more

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-sa-xd-xd-m-talk/74463-barrel-ramp-jammed-locking-block.html

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-gunsmithing-maintenance/167946-stuck-slide-while-assembling.html

or try this

mavro said:
Agalindo, your link to the "Fix for Slide Stuck" has pictures that were identical to what I experienced. However, after banging with no success I called SA and spoke to John. He advised me to 1) point the gun at the ground holding about 3 inches above the ground. 2) take a crescent wrench and open it slightly to fit around the skinny part of the guide rod. The side of the wrench should sit on the dime sized end of the guide rod. The end of the wrench can rest on the ground. 3) While holding the gun grip (gun not touching the ground), stike the crescent wrench with a hammer, forcing the guide rod forward. VOILA! Sqeeze the trigger and move the slide forward and off.

The culprit is not perfectly aligning the guide rod upon reassembly of the slide/barrel/guide rod. It was slightly off center. The link referenced above by Agalindo has great pictures of a misaligned guide rod. Thanks to everyone who assisted here. My XD is now functional again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Fixed her but clamping a vice grip to the guide rod and pulling as hard as I could.

Will need to get another as the SS aftermarket one was gouged all to hell.

Thanks everone for all of the help!

-Jason

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Do you think you could have avoided this situation if you took more time and made sure things (guide rod) were lined up better? Just curious what the cause was to prevent me from having the same problem someday.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Do you think you could have avoided this situation if you took more time and made sure things (guide rod) were lined up better? Just curious what the cause was to prevent me from having the same problem someday.
I've never had this problem, and I always make sure the guide rod is properly seated, and then flip the slide and frame upside down when I put them together.

I don't know if it helps, but it's something I started doing years ago, when this problem first surfaced ... Truth be told, I put all my pistols back together this way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think so..just pay attention and I think it wont happen.

Upon inspection, it doesn't look like anything beyone the guide rod was messed up.

Thanks again for all of the help.

-J

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've never had this problem, and I always make sure the guide rod is properly seated, and then flip the slide and frame upside down when I put them together.

I don't know if it helps, but it's something I started doing years ago, when this problem first surfaced ... Truth be told, I put all my pistols back together this way.
Great piece of advise in the above. I also have been putting them back together this way for a lot of years. Granted all of my others are 1911's.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
What's the advantage of doing this?
Mostly a gravity issue, with the guide rod down, gravity can move it easier, also if you do it upside down you can see better what the rod is doing in case it moves

1 - 14 of 14 Posts