Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first 1911, Springfield RO 9mm. Loved my friends so got my own. I noticed when I got it that the slide was almost "locking" back and i'd have to tap it forward for it to go back. The slide lock wasn't the issue. I put 200 rounds through it thinking that everything is just tight but after coming home and cleaning her I see that the hammer is the issue. If I pull the slide back it will catch on the hammer, but if i get a screwdriver and lightly touch down on the hammer the slide will drop. I see wear marks on the hammer. Advice on what I should do? continue to shoot and let it wear in and eventually it won't effect the slide, sand the hammer so it doesn't make contact, or is there a hammer adjustment. I just dropped my glocks for the 1911 and I am completely lost(just being upfront). Otherwise this 1911 is on point. Never been able to shoot as good as I have with the 1911.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Not following

"tap it forward for it to go back" ??

Hammer catching slide is unusual

Have your friend who has one take a look. Local gunsmith?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I'm going to take it in. It wasn't the hammer it's the disconnecter either sticking or something. I don't want to jack something up so i'm just going to wait.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Ah the disconnector. That makes more sense. Can feel it drag, even on a well used 1911. Are you sure it is catching even when power stroke it? If it does not catch while shooting but does catch while racking then you need to power stroke and not ride slide.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guy on another forum said for me to trying a 10# spring. I had a lot of fail to feeds and just assumed that the stopping of the slide was the cause since it's stopping in the same exact time. I can barely tap the slide and it will push forward and I can continue. I know to expect some malfunctions during break in and was actually good practice.

I'm shooting 115gr WWB and 115gr brass maxx. It ate my federal HST 124gr JHP no problem like a champ. Do I need to look at stepping up to 124gr? I know it did wonders in my little 938.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Shoot it! Should smooth out just fine. Are you running it wet? Might be a good idea til broken in a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Send that dude into Springfield. They'll get it running right.

Sounds like something wasn't fitted right so why bother dicking around with suggestions when you're not familiar with the platform.

Springfield will take good care of you

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Send that dude into Springfield. They'll get it running right.

Sounds like something wasn't fitted right so why bother dicking around with suggestions when you're not familiar with the platform.

Springfield will take good care of you
You pay for a lifetime warranty - use it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when I get back from leave I'm going to send it in. I'm going to put another 100 rounds tomorrow just to get to 500. The first 200 were extremely rough..stovepipes, fail to load, and fail to eject. I noticed today a couple pieces of brass were dented in on both sides so I saved them. The next 200 were better, had a couple fail to feed but after I stopped and ran a rag over everything and reoiled it all it went back to normal.

I don't know if I should move to a 10# spring or 124gr (only reason I say that is my 938 had issues feeding and sig said switch to 124 gr and it went away.) Springfield seems on point with warranty work and i saw where someone people paid to have their sights swapped while it was in for warranty work. I need fiber optic or something else I have trouble finding that front sight. Otherwise I can shoot extremely fast/accurate. sorry for the long thread.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Sounds like you're not lubricating it enough. Skip running a lighter spring, it should function with the stock spring unless you're running bunnyfart target loads (aka handloads with a light powder charge).

I'm also going to suggest you send it in with a full description of everything that's going on. Let the pros handle it, I'm not quite confident you know enough about the platform to be doing much with it other than cleaning and lubricating it. Not an insult, just an observation. As someone that runs both 1911's and Glocks, I can say there's a world of difference between the two. The Glocks will run dry, but the 1911s? Not so much.

·
Registered
100 Posts
is a 10 lb recoil spring "heavier/stronger" for the 9mm 1911? cause the standard spring for the .45 is 16 lbs. Sounds to me like you'd be wanting a stronger spring than currently is in the gun?

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
is a 10 lb recoil spring "heavier/stronger" for the 9mm 1911? cause the standard spring for the .45 is 16 lbs. Sounds to me like you'd be wanting a stronger spring than currently is in the gun?
Seems a tad lighter. I think they run a 12 stock.

The only reason to mess with recoil springs is if it's too weak and battering the slide or you're running powder puff loads that aren't cycling the slide. Or if its just flat worn out.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
1911's are junk. Get a Glock. :wink:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It came stock with a 9lb spring. Wilson combat recommends 10-12 lb for springs. I am going to just send it in. I'll see if they can swap sights on it when it's there

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I mailed her to Springfield and they got it last weds afternoon and 3 business days later they told me she's on the way back to me. Ordered a couple Wilson combat mags magwell and a 10 pound recoil spring. Trying to find info on the rear sight change the adjustable isn't what I want plus it's sharp and even walking with it on my hip it Knicks me if I touch it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts