Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been some discussions about training to reholster the XD with the thumb on the back of the slide in order to engage the grip safety. I've been doing just that ever since I've had my XD9, but recently thought of a possibly bad scenario. Suppose in the very unlikely event that I had my thumb on the back of the slide, the grip safety somehow malfunctioned, and something caught the trigger while re-holstering. Anyone ever think of how much damage would be done to my hand as the firearm cycled the slide?

I know it would take a lot to go wrong in order for this to happen, but I was just pondering... What do you think?[/b]

·
Registered
265 Posts
When I reholster I, too, use my thumb over the back of the slide to prevent my slide from moving back. I carry IWB always with my belt tight, therefore the slide has a chance of moving ever so slightly. Remember, too, that the slide cannot be racked unless the grip safety is depressed.

This being said, I do not tend to worry about esoteric "what-ifs" because if I did I would never cross a street since I could say "what if a car did this, or that and I didn't see them?". Common sense rules the day. Practice reholstering without depressing the grip safety. If using a holster with a thumb strap, make sure that it is not small enough to enter the trigger guard to catch on the trigger, and simply think about everything you do with the firearm in your hand, including when you put it away.

YMMV.....

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
MeanStreaker said:
...what do you think?
I think you may be doing it wrong.

MeanStreaker said:
...with the thumb on the back of the slide in order to engage the grip safety.
If your thumb is on the back of the slide how are you engaging the grip safety? Unless you have really meaty palms, if the thumb is on the back of the slide, the grip safety is not engaged and that's what people are referring to when using this reholstering procedure.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I think I'd be more worried about where the bullet goes than tearing some meat off of my thumb.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TomSwift said:
MeanStreaker said:
...with the thumb on the back of the slide in order to engage the grip safety.
If your thumb is on the back of the slide how are you engaging the grip safety? Unless you have really meaty palms, if the thumb is on the back of the slide, the grip safety is not engaged and that's what people are referring to when using this reholstering procedure.
When I say "engage the grip safety" I mean that my hand is away from the mechanism so that it is not being pressed into the grip, and thus making the gun safe. Although how I've just explained it makes sense to me, if it's common for the phrase "engaging the grip safety" to mean that you are holding down the mechanism and making the gun ready to fire, then I apologize. (To me, that's "disengaging the grip safety" to make it ready to fire.)

Anyway, I didn't want this thread to turn into people telling me not to worry about it or to focus on "where the bullet would go." I don't really worry about it and continue to holster my XD in this manner. I was merely bored and started thinking about what kind of damage could be done in the very unlikely event my thumb was positioned against the slide and the gun fired. This was intended for people that are familiar with the physical force of a cycling slide and what kind of damage it would do to a human hand. Broken thumb? Merely being forced to drop the firearm? An entire arm dangling by a slim thread of skin? :lol:

That's all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Your worry stems from the fear that the "grip safety somehow malfunctions." If it malfunctioned as you suggest, I'd be worried about bigger issues.

Regarding the damage to your hand/thumb that can be caused by the slide, if it was only your thumb over the slide, I'd imagine the firearm would jump from your hand and you might have some minor brusing, but I don't think the force would break it unless you were holding the slide with the bottom part of your thumb, closer to your palm. No expert though...

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]I think I'd be more worried about where the bullet goes than tearing some meat off of my thumb.
that's what I was thinking also!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello fellas my old man accidentally released the hammer on his 380 and it fired the slide caught his thumb and done one heck of a jam on it. :shock: It hurt em pretty bad but after a week or so he was just fine. But I promise you that he will never make that mistake again. So I figure the XD would punch a little harder but do about the same kind of damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts