Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My police service weapon is the .40 cal XD Tactial model. When the last round in the magazine is fired and the mag is empty, the slide should stay locked to the rear. This past time at range it never locked back a single time. Its not the mags, I tried all three of my mine and several from other patrolman. The springs were "exercised" and tried again. Still had the same problem. It shouldn't have been the rounds I was shooting. We were all shooting the same rounds, but I was the only one experiencing problems. I wasn't "limp wristing", the weapon was cycling fine. I have shot this weapon for 2 years including hundreds of rounds while in the police academy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Normally the biggest reason for this happening is the thumb hitting the slide stop as it shoots and keeps the stop from engaging. Check where your thumb placement is while shooting.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Also, Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Make sure to introduce yourself in the new member forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I haven't had that problem before, but I will def check my grip and get someone to watch as I shoot.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
This is a common problem with the XDm models, not usually the XD as much though, and since you have not had this problem in 2 years of shooting the weapon... I would lean towards some kind of mechanical wear problem causing the slide release to not engage properly (definitely rule out your thumb first though).

Did it lock back properly if you manually pulled the slide back (without pushing the slide release up to engage)??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The weapon was def used before it was issued to me, just not sure how much though. With an empty mag and manually racking the slide it would stay locked "most" of the time, not all however.

I make sure the mag is always properly seated too.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The weapon was def used before it was issued to me, just not sure how much though. With an empty mag and manually racking the slide it would stay locked "most" of the time, not all however.

I make sure the mag is always properly seated too.
Definitely sounds mechanical then if it wasnt staying locked open after being locked open, thats definitely not a grip (thumb) issue lol.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
The mag springs could be worn out. Especially if the last owner took the springs out of the mags and stretched them from time to time. This causes the springs to wear out even faster. And they will not have enough upward push to lock the slide back.

You may need to order new springs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same issue, i blamed the mag but realized my grip would press the slide release. next time at the range try shooting staying clear of the slide lock and see how it does.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am having a similar problem. The gun is not malfunctioning in any other way (xd45 - 5"). I thought it was my reloads being lower power so I tried using last round commercial - still didn't lock back. I saw on Midway a reduced power recoil spring and thought I would give this a try. Has anyone else used the reduced power spring?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts