Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to the HD family. I just purchased a XD-40 as my first gun. I spent about a week and alot in rental fees trying different things out at the range and decided this was the best choice (for the price, I really wanted a 1911, but the price is too much for a first purchase).

My question, or more like problem, is that I cannot easily fit all 12 rounds into the magazine. I can get around 7 with no problem, and 10 by trying hard, but it took me way to long and too much struggle to get the last 2 to make the 12. I'm hoping it isn't that I'm just a wimp. I only ask people about it because when loading the rentals and my friend’s guns, I had no trouble filling the magazines, and I shot all different types of ammo including 9mm, 357, 45, and even the 40 I'm trying to use now. I was hoping it is just because they are new and need to be used a bit to get looser and was hoping someone could shed some light on this. Thanks

Jacob Reach

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think it's anything to worry about. The Kahr I got early summer and the XD magazines are hard to load. The Kahr I had to buy/modify a speed loader. The XD came with one.

Both gun magazines (new) are very stiff. I think we need to shoot a lot more to "wear them in". But, I'm new too. jp;)

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
They do get easier, but that last round is still a pain. Did your kit come with one of the XD mag loaders?

If not, you might want to look into getting a www.maglula.com. One of the UpLULA's would be good.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Yep, the magazines are hard to load fully. Use the mag loader, if it came with your pistol or as SoLasVegas recommended, a uplula. I have a uplula and use it to load all of my magazines - XD, Glock, or Colt. Works with them all.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The mags will get easier to load the more and more you load and unload them. I had the same problem at first and always needed to use the speed loader but now I'm able to load all 12 by hand after 1500 rounds through the 3 mags that I have. It's just going to take some time. I see you're from Lubbock so hopefully you shoot at Patriot and if not you should definitely check their range out. I'm currently a law student here at Tech so feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about Patriot or other XD issues.

Chris

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm using the loader until my springs break in. I'm fine with the fact that I have sensitive little video game thumbs. :)

I could load the rented 16 round Glock mags down to the last round, but these XD9 mags are killing me!! I couldn't get them halfway full right out of the case. :(

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I've got 13,000 rounds through 5 different mags... 3 of them have taken the bulk having extended base pads for uspsa limited division shooting, mine are pretty easy to load now,... or maybe I just got good at it :p

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Shoot them and they'll break in. It will get much better !!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Get an UPLULA speedloader! It seems a tad pricey but they are awesome! And if you want to get a 1911 later, it'll load those mags too! I have had people at the range ask to borrow mine cause their thumb gets sore from loading by hand. If mine broke, I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat! I also just got the LULA for the AR-15, which is also awesome!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
+1 for the uplula. The best money I have spent. Well next to the XD.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I have seen a few posts about hard to load mags and i have never experienced this. Is it hard to load a mag or is it that you get sore after several loads?

·
Registered
331 Posts
just load the mags fully and keep them in a safe place when not in use, this will weaken the spring a bit. don't do this for too long though cause the springs can eventually become too weak.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
just load the mags fully and keep them in a safe place when not in use, this will weaken the spring a bit. don't do this for too long though cause the springs can eventually become too weak.
Actually there is no problem created by keeping the mags fully loaded. Springs are weakend by the compression and release during normal use, keeping them fully compressed will not harm them.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Even the the last 4 or 5 rounds on the XD 9 16 round mags are tough on new mags...The loader that came with the SA gear fixes that.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Yep, use the mag loader.. but if you have been renting, you probably didn't have it. Your XD kit will come with one...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts