Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I reload shotgun shells for clays. We have a formula that works well. Now, since 00 buck is hard to find and expensive we want to also do that with the shells/primers/wads we have if we can. I am concerned that the shot won't fill at the same density, and all I am finding is a weight/wad/shell/powder spec. Does it make a difference to make a big jump in shot size?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
All the shot shells I have reloaded for, I go by weight of the shot, not the physical size of it. The shotgun or the powder doesn't know the difference between a 1 oz slug or 1 oz of #9 shot.

The main things you may need to be aware of is how much buckshot you can stack in the wad you're using and how much that weighs. The Hornady wads are taller than the Winchester or Remington figure 8's for instance and the latter won't hold as many buckshot in the cup/wad.

I often will use an overshot card underneath a fold or roll crimp if the buckshot are somewhat loose and the crimp goes in too far, and sometimes I use a 20ga felt wad underneath of the pellets to raise the load up if you need to. But again, it really depends on the wad and shell and how much powder you're using because all of that affects how much room you have to put everything in there.

You just kind of have to play around with it if you're just trying to fill the shot cup up.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
What size shot are you planning to use? Shot shells have so many different requirements for the brand of case and the size of shot you are using. If the load weighs less that the smaller shot it will still be safe to load and shoot I load shot shells and have some load data which I will need to look up to answer your question if you supply more data. You may want to load a magnum type of load if you are thinking home defense loads. I can find load data for most cases if you supply more information.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Yeah, that was what I was getting at too. Don't put a lot more buckshot (weight) than the comparable load data that you're already using.

And don't fill up the wad too much and compress the powder because you crammed too much in the wad trying to get it crimped.

A small bonus, if however many buckshot total weight you can fit in the wad, if the total weighs a little less than your average birdshot payload you're already loading for, if you charge it with the same amount of powder, you'll get an increase in velocity from it without harming anything.

But If you pack the shot too heavy or too tight, you'll unfortunately increase pressure and that's where you'll get into trouble at.

If you're already loading for 1-1/8 oz, if you can fit 1-1/8 oz of buckshot in the wad, you don't have to change anything.

But you don't want to load 1-1/2 ounces of buck with the same powder charge.

Reactions: Knucklebuster

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was kinda my question. It seems that there will be more air between buckshot pellets vs 7-1/2 bird shot. I currently have tons of once-shot 27 Remy Nitro hulls, and I load them with 1 oz of shot and WAA12SL wads with a little over 17 grains of Clays powder for trap. That formula gets decent velocity and shoots fairly softly. I have some other wads that are a bit smaller (WAA12L which is a little bit shorter than the SL, and a couple of others). I have been collecting Win AA shells at the range, and they load the same as the 27's. I don't mind trying a few to see how they crimp, but thought that there might be quite a bit more air in the buckshot shell. I might also go to 1-1/8 oz loads. I don't ever plan on shooting 100 rounds of buckshot in one setting and if need more than 3 or 4 rounds, I will be happy to have the extra projectiles.

The cheapest I found 12ga buckshot online was a little over $2 per round before shipping. "Free" shipping packages were $7-$9 per round. Oooof.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Empty Air space doesn't weigh much.

But if you're worried about it, you can pack it with cream of wheat or grits if you're wanting filler.

Ballistics products also sells a buffer just for that.

BPI Original Design Buffer (500cc)-ballisticproducts.com

But seriously, you don't need any of that stuff.

And with filler, you wouldn't want to shoot that through a semiauto. Just pumps or single shots.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
That was kinda my question. It seems that there will be more air between buckshot pellets vs 7-1/2 bird shot. I currently have tons of once-shot 27 Remy Nitro hulls, and I load them with 1 oz of shot and WAA12SL wads with a little over 17 grains of Clays powder for trap. That formula gets decent velocity and shoots fairly softly. I have some other wads that are a bit smaller (WAA12L which is a little bit shorter than the SL, and a couple of others). I have been collecting Win AA shells at the range, and they load the same as the 27's. I don't mind trying a few to see how they crimp, but thought that there might be quite a bit more air in the buckshot shell. I might also go to 1-1/8 oz loads. I don't ever plan on shooting 100 rounds of buckshot in one setting and if need more than 3 or 4 rounds, I will be happy to have the extra projectiles.

The cheapest I found 12ga buckshot online was a little over $2 per round before shipping. "Free" shipping packages were $7-$9 per round. Oooof.
Here is some shotgun load data from Hodgdon. to give you some ideas about what is involved. Pick your 12 ga, then select shot = lead buckshot, then shot weight = 9- 00 buckshot or 27 #4 shot
, manufacture = all, powder = all, then get data.
www.hodgdonreloading.com/
Alliant has some 00 buck load data but they use card and fiber wads.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Libertad, using the chart I listed check out some led shot loads using 2 3/4" AA compression formed cases, there are loads using your wads. I have loaded Turkey loads using #4 led shot and you can get velocities in the 1400 to 1500 fps using my favorite powder "Longshot". Longshot also loads most pistol loads in 9mm, 45APC and others. You can select "all" for powders and get over 1000 different combinations. I use 1 1/8 for shot loads and these Turkey loads will be 1 shot stoppers for home defense out to 30 yards.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. I was concerned that the same weight of large diameter shot would consume more space in the shell and smash the powder and wad.

I wasn't able to select 1-1/8 oz loads on the Hogdon website and I figured out why. I had selected 2-1/2" hulls instead of the 2-3/4" hulls that I have. That opens things up considerably. It looks like I might be able to make it happen with WAA12 wads and the clays powder that I already have. I will probably need to change the shot charging bar from 1 oz to 1-1/8, but I won't have to adjust the powder much. I will try a few and see how well they crimp. The house is going to be more zombie resistant soon.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Load and stack the buckshot into the wad by hand.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I just went into the basement and pulled out a Winchester wad and some shot just to try to make this easier for you.

Stack the pellets 2x2x2x2. That will fill a wad and weighs .975 ounces so round that up to an ounce.

If you're already loading shot for 1-1/8 oz you can keep your powder charge and that will just increase your velocity a little without and danger of hurting anything.

ETA. The Hornady wads are somewhat deeper and will hold up to 10 pellets without causing crimp problems. Again this all depends a lot of the powder you're using and how much you fill the hull. This is where nitro cards and felt wadding may come into play to make up the difference in heights that your combination may end up being. But with 10 pellets and the Hornady wads, you'll need to charge the powder for 1-1/4 oz shot because it equals out to ~ 1.215 oz for ten 00 pellets.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Load and stack the buckshot into the wad by hand.
I will try that. I could see how the shot charge could vary quite a bit with the autoloader. I am only going to load a couple of boxes, anyway. What else do I have to do with my time?

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
Not related to shotgun reloading but....there are no stupid reloading questions. I've had a double charge-gun-blew-up event before, not fun.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not related to shotgun reloading but....there are no stupid reloading questions. I've had a double charge-gun-blew-up event before, not fun.
I have had one hot load. Didn't harm anything. The first charge in a session or from a new hopper sometimes has more powder than when running at steady state. It seems to settle and pack an additional 10-20% of powder. I started recycling the first shell after that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts