Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one really has me stumped. I've been loading 4.2gr of Bullseye in my 9mm rounds using a Lee Classic Turret press and the Pro Auto Disk powder measure. The .49 disk consistently drops 4.2gr, once in a while dropping 4.3gr, but not often. So far I've probably loaded 1200 rounds without a problem. All of a sudden tonight in the middle of a reloading session, it started dropping 3.9-4.0gr and then after about fifteen of those, it started dropping 3.6gr consistently, not 3.7 or 3.8, but 3.6 every single time. I took everything apart and cleaned it, then tried the .53 disk. It was also consistently dropping loads about 1.3gr lighter than usual. Everything appears to line up correctly so right now, I'm at a standstill. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
If you've cleaned it and the chain is taut then I'm out of suggestions. When I used #2 it was so fine it clogged up the drop tube and I had to thoroughly clean it out, but I've never had a problem with Bullseye (the powder I use the most). The Lee disc dispenser is pretty reliable but using the chain to activate it, well, not exactly robust.

Good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
During my research into reloading I ran across some instances of problems others had with powder measuring. Not sure this will help but I'll relay the instances to you.
You may already know this stuff but anyway.

The one dude was having problems with his scale. It was a bar type with a pan. I call it a teeter totter scale. He said a fan was running somewhere in the area but he could not physically feel the air from it but it was messing with the scale readings. He said any air flow from air conditioning or furnace ducts could do this.

Another was certain things on the bench can mess with a scale. They said to clear the bench and put only your scale on the bench and zero it then one by one put your items back on the bench taking note of the scale and if it stays at zero.

The other was static causing powder drop problems. Adding graphite or one dude said to wash your powder drop equipment in soapy water and let dry....do not rinse because the soap film would stop static.
That's all I got.
If it was me I would want to verify that scale somehow to eliminate that.

I've got the Lee classic turret press with the pro auto disk and I love it so far. Mine drops powder by the shell case pushing a plunger up through the die. It doesn't have a chain.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've eliminated the scale and static from the equation but am focusing on a mechanical issue in the process. I didn't think much of it at the time, but when I removed the hopper, there was a small pile of powder sitting on the disk immediately behind the orifice that I don't remember ever being there before. Does yours do that as well or am I dealing with a situation where I'm not getting a full cycle each time I pull the handle? BTW, I don't have the chain either so I'm going to pull that die apart and see if something might be stuck in there.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I should have been clearer, the chain is on the Loadmaster. It works, but like the auto indexing it's not robust and requires pretty constant tinkering to keep it working.

As far as a small pile of powder I always have something left and the size of the pile depends on the powder. I use a good RCBS beam scale and my throws are consistent across the loading session.

·
Registered
298 Posts
No...... I don't get any "piles" of powder. I do get some on the disk but not collected really. I'm using accurate no 2 and its really fine spherical powder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts