Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around where I live, we have no public shooting ranges, but we have dozens of private skeet, rifle and a few “rifle and pistol” clubs. Most are by invite only. There are a few that anyone can join, but there are membership caps of anywhere between 65 and 750, depending on the club and they are always full. So, I’ve put the word out for a while with people I come across that I’m interested in shooting and I’ve also added myself to waiting lists on some clubs that allow that to happen. Well, apparently I’ve been here 5 years and for some reason this spring, people seem to think I’ve been around long enough to actually welcome me to the community. So, I’ve finally been invited to join a few clubs. Additionally, my name finally came up to a club that has a cap of 250 members and they will hold my spot until June 1st. So, now I have to make a decision regarding which to join, or do I join more than one. I hate to offend people that are inviting me, but at the same time, the one where my name came off the waiting list has an indoor range (which is nice here in WI) in addition to their outdoor range.

So, for those of you in private shooting clubs, what did you look for in deciding to join? How can you tell a good club? Are any of you in more than one, and why? I shoot both rifle and pistol and annual dues are between $50-75 with some work hours (less than 10) required a year. Maybe I just join more than one and see what I like best.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I grew up in Stevens Point. Join the one with the indoor range and then look at the others and find the one with what you think is the best outdoor. We had a 380 acre farm that backed up to public marsh land so it was not a problem for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts