Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas -

I want input on how to prioritize my purchases. Got money for Father's Day (my wife is awesome as are my kids). Here's a list of the things I want/need. So, what would you do first?

Kimber TLE/RL II for my wife (if I get this for my wife, I get her 4" TLE/RL II)
Gun Safe
Ammo
New AR or parts to build an SBR
Sig p228 (already have one but want a backup)
Sig mags
Sig p225
ACOG
Free float rail for one of my ARs
3x magnifier with flip to side mount
AR mags
Bolt gun for my wife

I have a few ARs and only 1 that needs any work to put the finishing touches on it. Any thoughs are helpful... I have too many options and not enough money to do it all.

joe

Edit to add: I put this in the wrong forum. Mods, if you could move please.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Ammo and professional instruction. It may not be as exciting as a new gun, but sometimes our collection outgrow our skill to use them.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
My take based on my own personal rules of acquisition... Secure what you have, feed what you have, fill in missing capability, add capability to what you have, and then finally getting gee-whiz stuff:

1. Gun Safe
2. Ammo
3. AR mags/Sig mags
4. Bolt gun for my wife
5. ACOG or 3x magnifier with flip to side mount
6. New AR or parts to build an SBR/Free float rail for one of my ARs
7. Kimber TLE/RL II for my wife (if I get this for my wife, I get her 4" TLE/RL II)
8. Sig p225
9. Sig p228 (already have one but want a backup)

Of course, we don't have a complete picture, but there you go.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent input. I may be able to do the instruction and the gun safe.

Do y'all have a good recommendation for a gun safe that will hold 20 rifles or so? I'd like one with storage on the door for pistols as well.

·
Registered
29,825 Posts
Excellent input. I may be able to do the instruction and the gun safe.

Do y'all have a good recommendation for a gun safe that will hold 20 rifles or so? I'd like one with storage on the door for pistols as well.
A 40 rifle safe.

Trust me. Double the size you think you'll need.

After that, I'd stay away from stack-on, etc. I've got a couple of Brownings that I like.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
A 40 rifle safe.

Trust me. Double the size you think you'll need.

After that, I'd stay away from stack-on, etc. I've got a couple of Brownings that I like.
Yep. Bigger is better. My overflow handgun collection is in a big rolling toolbox. No reason for a third safe for my wife to ask about.

·
Registered
547 Posts
THe 24 wasn't big enough, the 32 was wasn't big enough... them together about covers it... about...

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Fellas -

I want input on how to prioritize my purchases. Got money for Father's Day (my wife is awesome as are my kids). Here's a list of the things I want/need. So, what would you do first?

Kimber TLE/RL II for my wife (if I get this for my wife, I get her 4" TLE/RL II)Kimbers are a gamble and your on a limited budget, so no kimber.
Gun Safeyou have multiple ars and don't have one? GO buy one, go now
Ammoammos always good
New AR or parts to build an SBRmeh
Sig p228 (already have one but want a backup)do you only have 1 handgun? why a sig anyways
Sig magshow many do you have
Sig p225put this at the bottom
ACOG as an acog teacher this rates its own thread, why do you want an acog?
Free float rail for one of my ARs the MI Keymods under 200 bucks, or the 12 lightweight is 200 not too pricey if you think about it, how many assembled ars do you have what are they?
3x magnifier with flip to side mount what optic does this go with, why do you want it
AR mags how many do you have? How many good ones do you have
Bolt gun for my wifebe more specific? Does she want one, why can't she shoot an ar?

I have a few ARs and only 1 that needs any work to put the finishing touches on it. Any thoughs are helpful... I have too many options and not enough money to do it all.

joe

Edit to add: I put this in the wrong forum. Mods, if you could move please.
questions for you in red

Each persons different. You need to look at your life and ask what do I NEED to survive to 2016. Tell us where you are and we will talk.

IMO Safe
Can safely operate a handgun
Can safely use a handgun from concealment
Can quickly use a handgun from concealment
Can quickly safely use a handgun in the dark
Knows basic medical
Home defense knowledge and equipment. If its an ar/shotgun/handgun depending on your needs and training budget. then in the dark
Ability to fight around your vehicle.
toys

·
Banned
0 Posts
Manuel lock 48 gun safe. Don't go cheap.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
questions for you in red

Each persons different. You need to look at your life and ask what do I NEED to survive to 2016. Tell us where you are and we will talk.

IMO Safe
Knows basic medical
Home defense knowledge and equipment. If its an ar/shotgun/handgun depending on your needs and training budget. then in the dark
Ability to fight around your vehicle.
toys
ACOG's are not really necessary as you can purchase cheaper optics that will work just fine however... In a SHTF situation I am glad I personally own one myself as they are one of the best set of optics you could own due to the fact that they don't run on batteries and they are nearly indestructible... (not to mention that they would still work after an EMP attack... :rolleyes:)
Now, with you training people how to use the ACOG, you know all too well that there is a learning curve when tying to use the ACOG for both close quarter to long distant shots utilizing the Bindon aiming concept... this does take a lot of practice but when you perfect it... the ACOG becomes one sweet set of optics and well worth the money invested in one... :cool:

But we certainly hope that our country never enters that sort of crisis but I like to live by the creed: "Pray for the best, prepare for the worse"...

OP.... Gun safe is definitely a must if you already own quite a few firearms. All the extras and ammo and scopes won't do you an good if your house is broken into and your firearms are gone...

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
If you do not have burglar proof storage I'd say get a quality safe FIRST.

Why add more expensive guns when the chance of having them all stolen remains?

-brickboy240

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In reply to questions.

I have 4 sig mags. I have several pistols, but the sig 228 is my favorite and is my primary firearm.

I have 3 ARs. 2 BCMs and a Del-ton extreme duty. The optics in place are EoTechs or Aimpoint PRO so the magnifier would go with one of these. My primary goal is to increase my range just a bit - I feel comfortable out to 200 yds and would like to be more comfortable to 300+; I mostly just want to be able to see a little farther a little more easily. The ACOG is an option for this, but certainly not a necessity. A leupold or other magnified optic would work as well - I just really like the ACOG.

One of the ARs is set up for my wife, but she wants a bolt gun, and who am I to say no to such a request?

As far as mags, I believe I have 24, 14 pmags and 10 GI mags - all function flawlessly. Need more.

Hope that satisfies you.

joe

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
In reply to questions.

I have 4 sig mags. I have several pistols, but the sig 228 is my favorite and is my primary firearm.

I have 3 ARs. 2 BCMs and a Del-ton extreme duty. The optics in place are EoTechs or Aimpoint PRO so the magnifier would go with one of these. My primary goal is to increase my range just a bit - I feel comfortable out to 200 yds and would like to be more comfortable to 300+; I mostly just want to be able to see a little farther a little more easily. The ACOG is an option for this, but certainly not a necessity. A leupold or other magnified optic would work as well - I just really like the ACOG.

One of the ARs is set up for my wife, but she wants a bolt gun, and who am I to say no to such a request?

As far as mags, I believe I have 24, 14 pmags and 10 GI mags - all function flawlessly. Need more.

Hope that satisfies you.

joe
IMO if both of you have this continuum met
IMO Safe
Knows basic medical

Then I'd move onto the bolt gun, seems like the item that you don't have, and a happpy wife is a happy life.

2 dedicated carry mags that don't get dropped.

Next if other pistols you have would make a good back up if you shoot someone. I would get a primary arms 3X magnifier for the etoch, as strang as it is a 75 buck magnifier works as well as a 300 dollar one. Now the money you have into the aimpoints/eotechs was worth it but the magnifier doesn't need to be so pricey.

Then I'd get a spare handgun. Sig if you must but you should really move into the 21st century and get either a glock or an MP :mrgreen:

MI keymod rail is amazing IMO no need for grips, the rail itself is great, get a 12/15" and depending on position you can put your hand wherever it lands and it works.

I'd buy ammo before the acog I'm no acog fan.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know if I should admit this or not... But my wife has the M&P. I have shot it, shoot it well. I have thought about picking up a full size M&P, but the sig is so concealable and easy to shoot.

I appreciate the feedback. The magnifier is a good option... The PA LER 3x is the one I had been looking at. If I get that one, I can afford to get a safe, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts