Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of people shipping primers on the auction sites with no hazmat fees involved which is great! All of the online retailers are charging $20.00 hazmat fees.

Question: Is it really legal to ship them without a hazmat fee involved ?

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
I see alot of people shipping primers on the auction sites with no hazmat fees involved which is great! All of the online retailers are charging $20.00 hazmat fees.

Question: Is it really legal to ship them without a hazmat fee involved ?
I'm sure it is, the shipping company is required to handle it definitely and will charge more for that. Not charging the hazmat fee probably means the seller is eating that cost.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I work at ups and have been for over a year i see all these ammo cans being shipped, shake them yep sound like ammo. I ask my supervisor why they dont need a hazmat sticker (we have sepical process for hazmats) he really didn't know but said their fine.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I work at ups and have been for over a year i see all these ammo cans being shipped, shake them yep sound like ammo. I ask my supervisor why they dont need a hazmat sticker (we have sepical process for hazmats) he really didn't know but said their fine.
It's stupid, but assembled ammo needs no HM, primers in any quantitiy do. Order enough & you still save over buying them in most gunshops.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ammunition can be shipped as ORM-D easily. For further info see my post here.

Powder and primers are a different animal. They must be given the full blown hazmat treatment and shipped as such. The hazmat fee is charged by the carrier to offset the expenses they incur.

Make sure of all shipping charges prior to bidding. Easy to overpay. I either deal with Powder Valley or my local reloading supply guy.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That's why reloaders buy in bulk or at the local fun show, I usually buy in with a couple of people to offset the $20 but we normally get 10-20K primers each and 16-24lbs of powder so I have to save my $$ for awhile to do this

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
That's why reloaders buy in bulk or at the local fun show, I usually buy in with a couple of people to offset the $20 but we normally get 10-20K primers each and 16-24lbs of powder so I have to save my $$ for awhile to do this
Yep, even paying the HM & shipping, if I order 10 units form PowderValley (any mix of primers & powder) that's only $2/unit. No sales tax & the shipping is less than what I would pay here for tax. I still save $4-5 per unit over buying at a local gunshop, where everything is straight retail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts