Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola, guys and gals. Hey I just recently just purchased another ar-15 and shot it last night for the first time. The rifel in question is a brand new Smith & Wesson MP 15T. Basically just took the gun right out of box and loded her up and fired 50 rounds. Now the ammo I was using was Hornady 5.56 NATO 60gr SP W/C LAW ENFORCEMENT rounds. They come 50 to a box.

Ok so anyway on to my issue out of the 50 rounds fired I had three rounds that had their primers fall out causing the next round not to fire and of course got to remove mag and shake out bad primer.

Should I be concerned with this ammo? Should I call Hornady?

I'm kind of furious cause i've never had this happen before with other brands and it greatly concerns me. This is soft point stuff I bought for home defense and being marked Law Enforcement I would assume you could stake your life on it. Well not if primers are falling out.

Open for any suggestions or ideas.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the primers were falling out and causing a Failure, I would definately call Hornady and give them the info. They are very Consumer Friendly, they'll probably want the incident cases back, hope you still have em.
Here's the info:

Box 1848 • Grand Island, NE 68802
308-382-1390

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It is most likely bad ammo. You do not need +P AR ammo for self-defense, like you might have +P handgun ammo. Regular .223 ammo will do more than enough damage. Extra powerful ammo can cause reliability problems.

If it was my gun, I would not fire it again unless I had the head space checked out by a competent gunsmith. The face of the bolt should prevent primers from blowing out. If the head space is wrong, it could allow the primer to blow out, or worse cause a burst shell and/or injury to the shooter. Call around and ask local gunsmiths if they can check the head space on an AR. It involves testing with "go" and "no go" chamber fittings. If the action closes with the "no go" fitting, the head space is too large. If yours passes inspection, then it is a simple matter of finding a better brand of ammo.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Could be the ammo or it could be excessive headspace. Have the rifle checked before firing it again to rule out excessive headspace.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Hornady is top of the line stuff. This isn't to say that it is the ammo. Like everyone else is saying, I would ask a GunSmith to check the gun, and if that is ok then call Hornady. They will definitely not want bad ammo out there and will replace it for you for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Let me see if I have this correct. Brand new hi end AR15. Brand new LE hi end ammo and you had THREE primers COMPLETELY back out of the cases in only 50 rounds? Wow.

I gotta ask this. Why did you continue to shoot after your had the FIRST primer back out? Perhaps you have just "dodged the bullet" here. You may be a very lucky person.

Grab the other fired cases and eye ball them. Look for backed out or loose or bulged primers. Look every case over for pressure signs. Did the ammo fired seem hot to you?

OK everyone, what happened here? Wow again. Don't fire another shot with your new S&W! PLEASE don't shoot ANY more of that ammo. Your next step depends upon your character.

I for one would get to a professional trained gunsmith knowledgable on the AR15 platform. Have him look over your brand new Smith and also look over the ammo you shot off.

Basically, you want to preserve any legal evidence. Yeah, what happened to you is VERY dangerous and should not have happened. I would call both the ammo and gun makers.

Explain to them calmy what happened and gage their reaction. Crazy things happen. Might be surprised what they may do to correct the situation. Was it the ammo or the gun?

I have no idea. Best guess it is the ammo. Stuff happens. If you get a lawyer involved at this point is totally up to you. Give the manufactures a chance first. But just one point.

DO NOT ship the ammo or the gun back yet. Have a good gunsmith look at them first. Might be good money to talk to an attorney to protect your legal rights. HB of CJ :) :) :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts