Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today loading primers with hand primer in several types of brass. Hornady, Speer, Winchester and Starline while doing this noticed that the Hornady and couple of Speer's that the primer went in easier than the others.

Shooting 357sig with 10.8gr of Reloader #7, 125gr Rainier full metal. The Hornady and Winchester brass has been shot 4 or 5 times. Speer unknown and the Starline 2 to 5 times, not sure there either, just depends.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I notice when hand loading primers with my random 9mm brass, the winchesters always seem to go in easier. There is a point in which your primer pocket can be to loose and not fit tight. You should inspect a spent round and see if you see any powder flashing marks on the outside the primer rim, if so I was told to not reload that round again. If your getting 4 or 5 reloads out of a piece of brass that is good, don't know what the limit would be, might depend how hot your loads are.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Could be several things, but generally, a loose primer pocket indicates the case head is stretching. That is headspace issues or over pressure issues, sometimes just soft brass. One reason I do NOT like Federal brass in any caliber but 38sp or 45acp, in low pressure loads. It's just too soft & you see primer pocketd open in as little as 3 firings.
Where did you come up w/ RL#7 for the 357sig? That is a very slow powder for any handgun round. If it is AA#7, you are still pretty close to starting loads, so I would say soft brass.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AA#7 Lymans book 11.5 is max. Not headspace consistently check as I load. Shooting good, been having some trouble with powder measure, ordered digital scales to watch more closely. They are not even accurate with my scale, so called MTM and they're sending me a new scale.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
AA#7 Lymans book 11.5 is max. Not headspace consistently check as I load. Shooting good, been having some trouble with powder measure, ordered digital scales to watch more closely. They are not even accurate with my scale, so called MTM and they're sending me a new scale.
That is what I thought. Alliant #7 is a fast rifle powder AccurateArms #7 (AA#7) is a slow pistol powder. I would segregate 10rds of brass that is once fired. Load those when ever you load 357sig & keep track of when the primer pocket starts to enlarge. They are not really safe to shoot after the primer pocket gets loose.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noticed last night that was putting the primers too hard and denting it a little. The other night night had discussion about soft primers, Federals being the worst and CCI being the best I'm using CCI.

Thinking it is being a different brass, if not going to find what it is causing the pressure. It handles different in a lot ways, only have about 20 from some of first rounds I bought.

Shooting auto's is a new experience for me, shooting faster and then go look for the brass.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Noticed last night that was putting the primers too hard and denting it a little. The other night night had discussion about soft primers, Federals being the worst and CCI being the best I'm using CCI.

Thinking it is being a different brass, if not going to find what it is causing the pressure. It handles different in a lot ways, only have about 20 from some of first rounds I bought.

Shooting auto's is a new experience for me, shooting faster and then go look for the brass.
One reason I am still a big revolver fan, you never have to chase brass.:mrgreen: Plus if you like raw power, nothing beats a big bore revolver, well, maybe a 50DE.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Revolvers, been thinking about them.
Every handgunner should own one big bore revolver. While the 357mag is not a big bore, it is very versitile. A 44mag or 45colt, just fun to shoot in any bbl length. I find 4" revolvers in any caliber perfect balance for me. A 6" will get you more performance, but not fun to carry. My hunting gun is a 7 1/2" RBHB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts