Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$495 at a local shop.

I checked everything on it and it seems real solid. The finish is nice on the steel and the rails are nice and smooth.

So is this a good price? It looks like a much better AK than a WASR for not that much more money. Shoot, I've seen WASRs for more.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been trying to find this variant Hungarian model. So I'll try to be more specific. I will go back today and write down the model.

Most of the AMD's I've searched out are anywhere from the $400+ price range.

This one has a longer barrel. And a skeletonized type composite thumb hole stock. Wish I had a pic!

I cannot find pictures of this type. It looks like it's designed for longer range shooting.

Edit: After doing more confusing research. I believe it's an SA-85 with a composite Dragunov style stock and a muzzle break like the AMD 65. No threads to unscrew the muzzle break from what I can tell. It is 7.62x39.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
typical market prices. SA-85, 85M, and some used FEG receivers with Bulgarian parts. Look for any manufacturer info. Global Trades made a bunch of them from spare parts. Even Springfeild Armory sold some..SLR-??

SA-2000M...same as the 85 and 85M for the most part.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^ Thanks Einheit. I was hoping you would post.

That's the one!

Now when I looked at the mag well it seemed a little narrow. Do these not take standard AK mags and only the single stack?

I'm going back tomorrow to get more info as I did not take a real good mental note when I was there yesterday.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do remember for sure that the serial numbers matched on the receiver and the bolt carrier. I did not actually check the bolt.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay it is a single stack SA2000M.

All serial numbers match.

KBI Inc of Harrisburg PA was the importer.

FEG Receiver that says made in Hungary.

No visual canting of the front sight or gas tube. Fit and finish is way better than any WASR I've seen for similar prices.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm debating it right now. I'd have to find someone to do the conversion on the mags for me as I don't feel confident enough to open it up myself. I got a number for a guy who works on AKs that they recommended.

Guess I'll research what it takes to do it myself first.

It looks like it will be a real good shooter. A heck of a lot better than my beater WASR 10/63 UF anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldnt pay over 400 for it, and do some research, some of the Hungarian single stacks are hard to convert due to the way the internals are made. If you need to spemd 500 on an AK, then buy an unconverted Saiga and convert it. You will come out around the same price and have a threaded barrel.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Einheit said it's really easy to convert and I trust his word on it. As far as internals the only difference I see is with the mag well.

But anyway at this point I think I'm gonna pass. I came real close to purchasing it but it does seem over priced after doing some research when I can get one already converted for $400 online.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I wouldnt pay over 400 for it, and do some research, some of the Hungarian single stacks are hard to convert due to the way the internals are made. If you need to spemd 500 on an AK, then buy an unconverted Saiga and convert it. You will come out around the same price and have a threaded barrel.

or buy the converted one from classic arms for 499 :D

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
The internals are no different than other AKs. It all depends on which FEG receiver is used. Same with VePR rifles from the Ukraine. they are well built and made to last, not like the cheap WaSR, Wum, 991/992s from Romania. Hungary has their own distinct way they build them. Not hard at all, you just need a little more finesse than you do with a Saiga or WaSR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a AMD and I love it. Shoots any ammo with any magazine all the time. If that's any indication of how Hungarian rifles are made, I'm a fan. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts