Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at an XD9 yesterday with an Advantage Tactical sight like this:
Grass Office supplies Font Plastic Rectangle

It also has a ported barrel, two 15 rd. mags and some kind of grip tape applied. It's a consignment and the asking price is $700.

Is this enough info. to give a reasonable opinion of the price or is more needed?

Thanks.

And, sorry if this post is misplaced.

·
Registered
29,860 Posts
The factory porting (assuming it’s factory—should have holes in the slide for it…if it’s an extended ported barrel, it’s aftermarket, and the manufacturer would determine how it impacts value) will give it a slight boost in value, but that’s wildly overpriced, imho.

$4-500, top end…and that’s in the overpriced current market. Two years ago, that would be a $350 gun at best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I looked at an XD9 yesterday with an Advantage Tactical sight like this: View attachment 845959
It also has a ported barrel, two 15 rd. mags and some kind of grip tape applied. It's a consignment and the asking price is $700.

Is this enough info. to give a reasonable opinion of the price or is more needed?

Thanks.

IMHO, move on. For that kind of money you can score an XDM Elite.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The factory porting (assuming it’s factory—should have holes in the slide for it…if it’s an extended ported barrel, it’s aftermarket, and the manufacturer would determine how it impacts value) will give it a slight boost in value, but that’s wildly overpriced, imho.

$4-500, top end…and that’s in the overpriced current market. Two years ago, that would be a $350 gun at best.
It must then be a factory barrel, I didn't even notice the porting 'til the counter man racked the slide before handing it to me.

Thanks for ALL replies, quite useful!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two additional questions just occurred to me.

1. Does a ported barrel need more cleaning than a non-ported barrel?

b. Does the mentioned aftermarket sight add any value? Or, is that an 'eye of the beholder' sort of thing?

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
No aftermarket additions/customizations carry inherent value: sellers will always try to bill it as-such, but it's very much like a car. So, yes, "eye of the beholder." For you, in driving you bargain, you should just say that you don't like them and will need to change them: so not only does their value now go down to zero, but you're going to negotiate for another $50 lower. ;)

Typically, the only concern with ported barrels is that you'll want to exercise additional care when shooting from-retention, as it will strip "plating" from some range-fodder grade bullets, which can cause discomfort and even potentially injury to the shooter.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I looked at an XD9 yesterday with an Advantage Tactical sight like this: View attachment 845959

Thanks.

Way over priced. Ported guns suck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No aftermarket additions/customizations carry inherent value: sellers will always try to bill it as-such, but it's very much like a car. So, yes, "eye of the beholder."
Hmm, interesting.

Typically, the only concern with ported barrels is that you'll want to exercise additional care when shooting from-retention, as it will strip "plating" from some range-fodder grade bullets, which can cause discomfort and even potentially injury to the shooter.
Which is what I normally shoot (gun in hand, pointing down) at steel plates - Berry's plated 115 gr. I assume the discomfort is from flying shards of plating/bullet material?

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Hmm, interesting.
Gotta drive a bargain! ;)

Typically, the only aftermarket modifications that are worth anything would be work done by a noted person, or if the work somehow makes the item truly more collectable. Again, the car analogy works - i.e. famous hot-rodder or for example, if the car was featured in a noted historical context (and can be vetted accordingly).

I assume the discomfort is from flying shards of plating/bullet material?
Correct.

The porting strips the plating and produces a spalling effect, which makes it at-best uncomfortable for retention shooting, and at-worst dangerous with any eye-protection short of full-sealing goggles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct.

The porting strips the plating and produces a spalling effect, which makes it at-best uncomfortable for retention shooting, and at-worst dangerous with any eye-protection short of full-sealing goggles.
Well, that's a screenout element for me. I'm gonna let this one go.

Thanks for insights!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@First XD - Just so you can see that I'm not BS'ing this one ;)
Never thought you were. A bullet splattered on a plate twenty yards away last year and embedded itself in my calf (wearing shorts - Hey, it was hot that day!). It just stung a little but the point was well made.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
^ I know you weren't thinking I was leading you astray. ;)

Yeah, I've caught plenty of bounce-back. Luckily none as bad as a fellow student did once - he caught a full .45 slug that managed to bounce back from a rock in the backstop, from some 50 yards away. It was a total freak thing, but we found the "slug" (more like a pancake!) as soon as he took himself off the line because of just how much it hurt...luckily, it hit him in the chest!

I know, not quite the same, but I'd rather not have tiny bits of plating in my eye. :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Weren't the early ported guns called V10?

Didn't they discontinue them for a reason several years back, I'm thinking the frame or barrel cracked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
IMHO, move on. For that kind of money you can score an XDM Elite.

I concur with chris_a, $700 is too high... I saw a new XDM Elite OSP today for $689.99; otherwise you could buy a new XD-9 for around $330 to $400 and do a lot of upgrades for the cost difference.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Weren't the early ported guns called V10?

Didn't they discontinue them for a reason several years back, I'm thinking the frame or barrel cracked.
Bingo had plenty of trigger time with a V10 40. Every time I shot that thing I felt it on my forehead. Not to mention just how much louder it is. I use plugs only after a few rounds the noise was starting to bug me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I concur with chris_a, $700 is too high... I saw a new XDM Elite OSP today for $689.99; otherwise you could buy a new XD-9 for around $330 to $400 and do a lot of upgrades for the cost difference.
I found an Elite Tactical OSP for 679.00 last week. Couldn't pass it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts