Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eyes are way to young to feel this damn old.Its getting to a point that I can not see my sights even with my tri-focal glasses I currently wear. Does anyone suffer the same.And if so, what is the remedy. Thanks in advance.8)

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I have a pair of perscription glasses I wear when I'm on my bike at night. Walmart hooked them up for me. They've taken bugs, rocks, walnuts and all kinds of abuse over the last few years, and I can still see. They have a pretty decent selection and I'm sure there will be something that will fit your needs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wiley X makes very nice shooting and safety glasses; they will also install prescription lenses if you send them the info when ordering. I was required to wear safety glasses while on the production floor at my last job. The choices provided by the company were not only uncomfortable, but were very nerdy looking. I purchased my own set from Wiley X for work and to be used at the range as well and couldn't be happier.

I just noticed I am wearing them in my profile pic.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I've got the same problem. Tri-focals work but take too long to find the front sight when shooting competition. I settled for the mid-distance prescription for a pair of glasses. Front sight perfectly clear and the targets a little out of focus. Helps if you take the slide to the eye doctor's with you so he can get it right.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Optx 20/20 Stick On Bifocal Lenses

Soft, pliable, plastic lenses for near focusing. Harder than hell to find in the power I need, but works well for shooting. You get a pair, but I only use one for the dominant, left eye.

It essentially sticks onto your shooting glasses - just follow their directions. But do use cold water - warm to hot water will have dissolved gasses that will bubble up between lens and shooting glasses. I know from personal experience.

This will work indoors or out, but be aware your depth of field will be heavily impacted under low-light. For me, at my indoor range, it's low lighting relative to an outdoor range. Pupils dilate, depth of field (DoF) goes to crap, and for me the target is totally blurred at 8+ yards. It's so blurred I don't know what part of the orange/white target I'm shooting at.

Under bright conditions, pupils constrict and DoF vastly improves. I can see target fairly clearly 15 yards out and front site is still in focus. Yes, this is the diopter eye I'm talking about in both cases.

Another caveat is refractive error, depending on where you put these on your shooting glasses. I had one put them near the top of my glasses, and was shooting low. Moved the lenses lower, and dead 6 o'clock on.

On another pair of shooting glasses, the base curve was so aggressive that when looking forward, the shooting glasses plane was at an off-angle. Refractive error was large that I was shooting to the right of my sight picture.

No, it was not operator error. Took the time to properly sight up, and broke a shot - right of target. Did it several times and same results. Next, I removed the lens from my glasses, and shot again. Dead on.

In summary, these are great for shooting as I have normal vision for one eye, and corrected close-focus for the other. I find this aids in both eyes open shooting - just try it, you'll see. Yes, I'm normally a winker when it comes to shooting, but am trying to do the both eyes open.

The caveats are listed, but to me you just need to be aware and plan accordingly.

Skate

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
wileyx if yhou have access okleys via ussstandardissue (if he's not profiting if you know a service member he can help you here)

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
My eyes are way to young to feel this damn old.Its getting to a point that I can not see my sights even with my tri-focal glasses I currently wear. Does anyone suffer the same.And if so, what is the remedy. Thanks in advance.8)
Is this for just everyday carry use or target shooting? I recently put on a fiber optic front site for a gentlemen that lives near me. Although I don't need them yet he surely did, the green ones worked well for him.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Here's a guy I know who can fix you up. He's world reknowned and works with alot of big time outdoorsmen, hunters, shooters and fishermen. He specializes in sports optics. A really good guy.

Tell him I sent you. Not that you'll get any special treatment, neither will I. LOL He just asked so he can thank me later.

Name is Chris Vogler and he's near St. Louis. Here's his info:

Web site www.safevision.net
Number -1-888-254-7406

Our hours are
Monday- Thursday 8 AM-4:30 PM Central Standard Time
Friday - 8 AM to 4 PM Central time
Closed weekends

My Email address is [email protected]

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I need prescription for distance. Last few years had been having trouble with handguns because front sight not in focus. For a while I shot without my correction, just with normal safety glasses. Also decided that I would not wear my glasses all the time like I had been - started wearing them only when needed for driving, at a movie, watching TV, etc. My theory was that if I ever had to use my CCW, would shoot better without the glasses. Another thought was that if ever had a bump in night, my gun would be close by but my glasses might not be.

No correction helped with front sight but sucked at matches where quick sight on target is important, especially if no shoots were close to A zones, etc. Some of the experienced guys (with older eyes like mine) suggested a local optometrist who is also a shooter. He had me bring my gun right into his office for his tests. Got me into proper shooting glasses with different lenses. My dominant eye has the correction dropped way down so front sight is in focus. My other eye has more correction so that targets in focus, but correction dropped just a bit to reduce difference between two eyes. Works very well, my scores at matches have improved a lot. He explained that our brain will use the best eye for whatever we ask - focus on front sight and my brain uses that dominant eye with less correction, look out to target and my brain uses the other eye with more correction. Sort of cool when think of it that way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am the person Vidego was speaking about- If you need some help, your more than welcome to drop me a line [email protected] or to call. 1-888-254-7406-

I just happen to be an Optician, however I have a passion for Hunting and shooting.

So many times, there are those of us, that try to shoot with our regular glasses and it just does not cut it- what I have been successful in making is an inverted bifocal Set for the distance between your cheek and your front sight, this bifocal is upside down, on the top of your shooting eye- I leave the other eye alone for your regular prescription- This way you can then See distance and see your front sight! All that I am doing is tricking your brain and allowing it to see two different focal lengths at the same time.

Once we reach 40 plus years old, our eyes because to loose the elasticity that allows us to focus on more than one focal length at a time- I just figured out a way to trick your brain and let it focus on the target and the front sight.

People ask " Why do you put the lens at the top?"
Well this is to Help us to return to proper shooting form- leaning into the recoil, looking straight down the barrel and having much quicker target acquisition! 2nd and 3rd shots come much faster. Too many of us older shooters, start lifting our Chin up and we are leaning back- actually throwing ourselves out of balance and making it extremely difficult for the follow up shots.
The inverted system allows for normal movement around a IDPA Course, or any combat/self defense course- Some of my shooter describe wearing the inverted lens, is like wearing a basball cap pulled down tight, but you get used to it being there- however, when you drop your chin, maybe 1/4 inch, you are now looking through the top bifocal for almost immediate target acquisition- If you can see it you can hit it, if you cant see it you will never hit it-

The rest of the formula is figuring out what bifocal power you need- is it the same power your have on your normal glasses? NO! your normal glasses are set at near 15 inch focal length, and ie if your shooting and Xd 40 and your about 6 ft tall, the distance between your front sight and your cheek - st your dominant eye- is going to be about 24-25 inches, so you will need a weaker sticker to move your focal length out to the proper distance..

Sorry for the Optical theory here- regretably I had two cups of coffee today- and most folks around here, keep telling me, I sure am wound up!

If anybody would need to ask any questions, If you could have this information with you, it sure would help

Your current prescription

Your pupil distance- The metric distance between your eyes- please get this from the last people that made glasses for you- most of the time it is not on your prescription

Your height
Your weight- some get annoyed by this question- A frame that will fit someone 5 foot tall and weighs 100 pounds, will not fit someone 6 foot 11 inches tall and weighs 375 pounds

The distance between your cheek right under your glasses out to your front sight- on the different lenght guns-

Please know this, a lot of current normal glasses are not designed for shooting and a lot of sports frames are not designed for shooting safety-
when your aiming proper form- you should be looking at lens- not the frame all lens- something that gives you good peripheral vision-
take a look at this article from gun blast
Prescription Safety Glasses, Goggles, Military Sport = Eyewear,Motorcycle Sun Glasses - SafeVision,LLC - Z87

and this one from Field and Stream
Prescription Safety Glasses, Goggles, Military Sport = Eyewear,Motorcycle Sun Glasses - SafeVision,LLC - Z87
We used the saem pictures-

I hope I haven't gone over board, but we need to keep shooters shooting and stop the longtime shooters from quiting.

thanks Chris- CSpots

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I chose the Genesis XC safety glasses with a prescription insert. The glasses and the insert are inexpensive, getting the lens cut for the insert, will maybe your optician is less expensive than mine. You get the wrap around protection and easily changed colors and if the lenses get scratched or damaged, the prescription part is protected.

I use progressive bifocals in real life, but I chose to go with a hard bifocal for shooting. I chose to have the close vision (cut for front sight distance) cut high so that as my head is at a neutral position, I can see the front sight clearly. The upper part I had cut to see cut for a 25 yard distance, and I have to dip my head down slightly to have that in view. That way, as bring the sights to bear, I go with my head slightly dipped down to see the distance and then bring the head neutral position to shoot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the shooting glasses I would recommend Decot Shooting glasses. These guys know what they are doing when it comes to Shooting eye-wear (considering its all they do) and they have options to fit most budgets. I would give one of their dealers a call. The one I use is on eBay.
His phone number is 602.903.5029 and will consult you based on your specific shooting needs, be it front sight clarification to simply varying lighting conditions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have worked extensively with Wayne Morgan at Morgan Optical in Olean NY... gotten frames and lenses for my guys for 15 years... the biggest Randolph Ranger dealer in the US, sells internationally... this man knows his optics - can cut and dip a lens to meet any need... no one better.

Google Morgan Optical Sport Glasses...

Jay Spitz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts