Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this XDm 9mm this afternoon and will be putting around 300+ rounds through it tomorrow at the range. The 19+1 rounds of 9mm in the each mag that came with it was a plus and I get 2 more free mags and another carrier with mail-in.

So far the look and feel is IMO, better than my XD's, but it still suffers from a long trigger pull and reset. I've been shooting 1911s allmost exclusively of late, which will spoil a shooter. I'll most likely want a trigger job done on it.
So tomorrow the range...:twisted:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Dang look at all those round count holes, or whatever they're called, in the mags, 19+1 SWEET!!!! I'm soooo jealous I want an XDM 9 really bad!!! Nice pistol congrats!!! I'm looking forward to the range report!!!

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Nice pick-up, arb ;) .

Hey, how'd you luck out with an OD case with your M :confused: ?

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I just had a Springer Precision trigger job done and I am very happy. It probably still won't feel like your 1911 but it is a tremendous improvement. Take up is almost 0, there is a little creep, and the reset is much shorter. I sent my gun to them on a Tuesday and got it back the following Tuesday. My groups at 10-15 yds tightened up nicely. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got my XD(M)9mm on the 11/26. No sense starting a new thread. I'm a 1911 guy too. My carrying piece has been a Kimber CDPII for the last six years or so. I wanted to switch to 9mm for ammo cost, the capacity, SA's rep and all the good things I hear about the XD's is what drew me to it.

I'm just wondering if carrying 58 is enough? After all, Those Goddamn Zombies Aren't Going to Kill Themselves.

/tg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my XD(M)9mm on the 11/26. No sense starting a new thread. I'm a 1911 guy too. My carrying piece has been a Kimber CDPII for the last six years or so. I wanted to switch to 9mm for ammo cost, the capacity, SA's rep and all the good things I hear about the XD's is what drew me to it.​

I'm just wondering if carrying 58 is enough? After all, Those Goddamn Zombies Aren't Going to Kill Themselves.​

/tg​
Well....if you get the 2 extra free mags that'd make 76 rds. and that's a lotta zombies.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used 200 rds of 9mm Blazer and 6 shoot-n-see targets
I shot at 3yrds, 5 yrds, 7 yrds, 10 yrds and 12yrds.

Warm-up: I wiped the gun down and applied just a spot of oil prior to firing. Since this was more break-in than target practice I was firing a full 19 rds at each target using a modified Weaver stance. I was also seeing how a new set of prescription shooting glasses worked. They have the focal point set to my front sight, bringing it more into focus while firing.

Impressions:
There were no failures to fire out of the 200 rds, the XDm 9mm never jammed, missfed, or failed to eject at any point. I don't believe I've owned a pistol that's done this first time out, including my 1911's.

Putting 19 rounds into the stock mags is a chore even with the niffty auto-loader and almost impossible without it. The rounds tend to bunch-up and I'd have to press the down on the rounds with my right thumb while working the auto-loader. I may have to see what other autoloaders are out there.

The grips do help one keep on target and percieved recoil is light.

Shooting:
As I stated earlier I was breaking in the XDm more that shooting for target practice, but I wanted to ensure that I was able to get decient shot groups. The first 2 targets at 3 and 5 yrds gave me 1 inch groups, but I noticed that most of the groups were left and low, a sure sign that I'm moving the muzzle angle as I pull the trigger. I don't have this problem with my 1911 because of the short pull and reset, also the pull is set to about 4 lbs. The XD and the XDm's both have the 5.5 to 7.5 trigger pull, add to that the long pull and reset I imagine that one is more prone to movement.
At 7 and 10 yrds, I concentrated more on a slow trigger pull and follow-up to see if I could get back to center mass on the targets. This was mostly successful, but at around 10 rds I find that I was moving left and low again. I think this was due to trying to hold a position through the whole 19 rds. If I rested between 5 rds shots, I was getting back into the center mass again.

At the 12 yrd target I used the slow fire method by limited the number of rounds to 5 and rested, I was able to get 1.5 inch groups which is not bad for a new weapon. Even when they went low and left the groups were consistently 1.5 to 2 inches.

I also did some one handed strong and weak handed fireing on targets from the 5 yrd mark. I was able to stay on target with only a few flyers.

Conclusions:
The XDm 9mm is definitely a keeper, but really needs some tweeks.
  1. Most definetly a trigger job
  2. A good set of night sights
  3. I might change out the guide rod.
The XDm as a CCW, I see as limited, at 4.5 it is 3/4 of an inch longer than my S&W 1911PD (Gunsite edition). It's also less concealable due to the thickness and grip size. Those of us that look more to the quanity of ammo between the two will undoubtedly disagree with me. I could also conceal it better when I wore casual cloths, but I work in a business dress environment so I'd most likely have to test with a shoulder rig.
During winter months it would be easy, just wear a thick cover garment, but this wouldn't go with shorts and sandles real well and remember a full mag, even of 9mm has weight, so carrying a spare or 2 will have your pants down around your knees in a short time.
I see this as a good home or auto defense weapon and possibly a really good IDPA shooter.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The XDm as a CCW, I see as limited, at 4.5 it is 3/4 of an inch longer than my S&W 1911PD (Gunsite edition). It's also less concealable due to the thickness and grip size. Those of us that look more to the quanity of ammo between the two will undoubtedly disagree with me. I could also conceal it better when I wore casual cloths, but I work in a business dress environment so I'd most likely have to test with a shoulder rig.
During winter months it would be easy, just wear a thick cover garment, but this wouldn't go with shorts and sandles real well and remember a full mag, even of 9mm has weight, so carrying a spare or 2 will have your pants down around your knees in a short time.
I see this as a good home or auto defense weapon and possibly a really good IDPA shooter.
I keep hearing this, but again, I must disagree.
I've been carrying my XD-M 9mm for the last few weeks in a crossbreed supertuck IWB holster.
It is supremely comfortable and concealable for me.
I wear a tucked in t-shirt or polo type shirt with a nice fleece vest in winter or looser outer shirt.
I find it EASIER to carry than my XD-45 service, which I've carried all year round.
Gun is IWB, strong side around 3:30 to 4:00 with a spare mag in a pancake style OWB mag holder, weak side at around 8:30.

It would be quite easy to carry this way in summer, as I use some outer cover shirts that are pretty cool in summer, or with a nice elastic waisted type shirt that would blouse out a bit from the waist, or a tucked in polo.

My pants stay up fine, and I'm a bit rounded in the middle...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep hearing this, but again, I must disagree.
I've been carrying my XD-M 9mm for the last few weeks in a crossbreed supertuck IWB holster.
It is supremely comfortable and concealable for me.
I wear a tucked in t-shirt or polo type shirt with a nice fleece vest in winter or looser outer shirt.
I find it EASIER to carry than my XD-45 service, which I've carried all year round.
Gun is IWB, strong side around 3:30 to 4:00 with a spare mag in a pancake style OWB mag holder, weak side at around 8:30.

It would be quite easy to carry this way in summer, as I use some outer cover shirts that are pretty cool in summer, or with a nice elastic waisted type shirt that would blouse out a bit from the waist, or a tucked in polo.

My pants stay up fine, and I'm a bit rounded in the middle...:mrgreen:
I don't see problems with casual wear, I can use an FBI cant owb or an IWB and conceal just fine, my problem is daily wear with business clothing. You could break the bank so to speak and wear larger pants, but I find that my Colt Defender or S&W 1911 work just fine and I don't have to change my wardrobe. I feel at this point we get into a philosophical debate, is 19 rounds better than 8 rounds? IMO it's purely situational. If I'm in the Taj Hotel in Bombay, trapped in a room, I want all the firepower I can muster, but day to day I error on the side of reasonable response. If I need 19+ rounds of ammo, then I most likely need a rifle anyway. This is only a personal opinion though.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Nahhh, I just keep hearing people say they think the new XD-M is too big, bulky or heavy for effective daily CC.

Of course, the mode of dress comes into play. I just want to refute the thoughts that some will draw that this gun isn't a good CCH rig.

With the right holster & attire, it's great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts