Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a home defense cartridge for my 9mm XD-M. If someone come through the glass of my front door and I wing the bad guy through the shoulder with a FMJ there is a possibility that the bullet will travel across the street into a neighbor's window...possibly harming someone.

Magsafe makes a frangible bullet that is half the weight and better than twice the velocity (+P) of lower cost FMJs...but it will shatter after the first hit greatly reducing the chance of harming an innocent beyond the line of fire.

Two questions:

(1) are the +P cartridges OK for use in the XD-M 9mm?

(2) They claim top superior stopping power because of the interior damage caused by the fragmentation (presuming good placement) at 540 ft-lbs of energy. Has anyone used this cartridge or at least an opinion?

(The price is about twice the best jacketed hollow points I have seen, but it is infinitely cheap compared to hurting a neighbor)

Their blurb is below: THANKS !!!
==========================================
Magsafe Ammo 9 S +P, 9 MM, Pre-Fragmented Bullet, 64 GR, 1950 fps, 8 PK

MAGSAFE AMMO INC Handgun Ammunition MagSafe 9MM 64 Grain Pre-Fragmented Bullet
#9S + P Max Load 64gr. 1,950fps/540fpe - Replaces #9P
Best all-around 9mm load

Maximum loads offer magnum performance, yet less recoil than standard, less powerful JHP ammo. MagSafe ammo was designed with the concept of magnum performance with safety. The core is made of #2 or #3 shotgun lead pellets, in specific patterns, and stabilized by a custom blend of epoxy resins. Bullets can be designed for deeper penetration, wider wound channel, some even to break apart in sheetrock walls. The use of larger pellets definitely reduce the Ricochet Hazard, and because of its light weight, bullets are much faster with less recoil.

MagSafe's revolutionary design uses large lead shotgun pellets rather than solid lead for a bullet's core.

Early in the design process, hundreds of videotaped test shots were made into ordnance gelatin. Then, viewed in slow motion, you could see how a core's pellet size and pattern created the greatest wound damage for any given caliber.

It was quickly learned that using much larger # 2 or # 3 shot gave perfect penetration depth in gelatin or flesh-form 10 to 13 inches (two to three times as much penetration as our competitors). A large man's chest is only 12 inches thick from front to back, and any more penetration was wasted energy that would endanger innocent people.

That was the first goal reached - ammunition that won't overpenetrate a torso and hurt or kill innocent bystanders.

MagSafe Ammo is faster, recoils less, and stops attackers faster than any other ammunition in the world.

MagSafe works. It's expensive, but it works.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: 9 S
Category: AMMO CENTERFIRE
Caliber :9 MM
Bullet Type :pre-Fragmented Bullet
Bullet Weight :64 GR
Muzzle Energy :540 ft lbs
Muzzle Velocity :1950 fps
Rounds/box :8 PK

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
[LEFT said:
bcavender[/left];1488084]I am looking at a home defense cartridge for my 9mm XD-M. If someone come through the glass of my front door and I wing the bad guy through the shoulder with a FMJ there is a possibility that the bullet will travel across the street into a neighbor's window...possibly harming someone.

Magsafe
makes a frangible bullet that is half the weight and better than twice the velocity (+P) of lower cost
FMJs
...but it will shatter after the first hit greatly reducing the chance of harming an innocent beyond the line of fire.
So I'm sitting here and it is 11am. The thermometer reads 27 degrees, up from 16 last night. Given the temperature, the guy coming through my door will be wearing heavy clothing. Even assuming that under the pressure of the situation I could aim and hit his shoulder will frangible bullets stop him?

IMO, your first mistake is thinking that you could hit him in the shoulder. If you miss the bullet will travel to your neighbors house and if it like mine penetrate the vinyl siding and go into the house in a number of fragments. My thinking is very different. I have a .45cal, the first 3 rounds are Gold Dot
JHPs and the rest are WWB FMJ. I shoot for the center of the body. If the GDs don't stop him because of the clothes their impact will set him back until I get to the FMJs.

As for a second mistake IMO, why do you have doors so easy to get through? Even my sliding glass door to the patio is heavy framed with thick double pained glass, doubled locked, and has a vinyl film that will hold the glass from first 2 or 3 strikes.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
First, I would NOT be using FMJ for a SD/HD situation in any caliber. No point really, any JHP is a much better choice. Second, any prefrag round, like Glaser, is a compromise. Maybe, maybe as a first round in the chamber, but everything after that is JHP. You may miss in a hurry w/ your first round & a Glaser offers a margin of safety. You may also have to fire follow up shots if the Glaser doesn't penetrate deep enough on a COM hit to stop the BG. Your call, but definitely dump the FMJ. If your XD doesn't like some JHP, try Rem.124grGS, they are the most like FMJ in rpofile & should feed in anything.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Magsafe ammo is overpriced crap....

1.) +P ammunition is ok for yer XD
2.) Magsafe ammo is crap

Please check out this informative link on Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

For yer 9mm XD, there are tons of excellent ammo choices noted in the link above.

Magsafe, Extreme Shock, Glaser Safety Slugs, and RBCD ammunition are all overpriced mall-ninja rubbish.

==============================================

Gold Dot
Ranger T
Golden Saber
HST
DPX
XTP

The above loads are recommended

·
Registered
891 Posts
First, I would NOT be using FMJ for a SD/HD situation in any caliber. No point really, any JHP is a much better choice. Second, any prefrag round, like Glaser, is a compromise. Maybe, maybe as a first round in the chamber, but everything after that is JHP. You may miss in a hurry w/ your first round & a Glaser offers a margin of safety. You may also have to fire follow up shots if the Glaser doesn't penetrate deep enough on a COM hit to stop the BG. Your call, but definitely dump the FMJ. If your XD doesn't like some JHP, try Rem.124grGS, they are the most like FMJ in rpofile & should feed in anything.
I pretty much agree with this. One proviso though, make sure the glaser/magsafe or whatever prefrag. will cycle the silde enough to chamber the following hollow point.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Magsafe ammo is overpriced crap....

1.) +P ammunition is ok for yer XD
2.) Magsafe ammo is crap

Please check out this informative link on Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

For yer 9mm XD, there are tons of excellent ammo choices noted in the link above.

Magsafe, Extreme Shock, Glaser Safety Slugs, and RBCD ammunition are all overpriced mall-ninja rubbish.

==============================================

Gold Dot
Ranger T
Golden Saber
HST
DPX
XTP

The above loads are recommended
+1

These bullets are not going to stop a bad guy and I would never trust my life, or that of my family to crap, mall ninja ammo.
High quality HPs are designed to penetrate trough heavy clothing, sheet metal, or other intermediate barriers, then expand in the BG and stay in the BG, there's no need for FMJs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts