Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won't post direct pics to site...but you can click linky

He just sent me some pics of his 216 yard prairie dog kills...he has a 1/8 Bushmaster Predator .223/5.56, w/ 3x9x40 Tasco scope, using Hornaday 55 grain HP match ammo..

Single shot kills to the head/upper body at 216 yards, one shot kills! That's pretty impressive considering its about a 2" target out that far, and he was in the sitting position and using shooting sticks!

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp279/WarHawk-AVG/prarie%20dogs/prariedoga.jpg
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp279/WarHawk-AVG/prarie dogs/prariedogb.jpg

He usually stacks 3 shots under a dime at 100 yards, reach out and make some varmints go bye bye!

He usually uses the 75 grainers to send coyotes to the promise land

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
Nice shooting.

I don't hunt prairie dogs, but I have been known to shoot gophers. Gophers only need a 22LR. Most shots are under 50 yds, but some shots are out to 100 yds or more.

Regardless, it's a great way to spend a day and the variation in range, the changing winds and weather, the movement of the gophers (or prairie dogs) and the fact you get a reaction from the target make it much more enjoyable and challenging than target shooting. Shoot gophers regularly and your marksmanship skills will increase dramatically.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hornaday 55 grain HP match ammo

That's all he runs thru it...

We tried shooting some steel case stuff in it and it hated it...and it took us 2 hrs at the range to get one out of the chamber on his Contender

·
Registered
165 Posts

He just sent me some pics of his 216 yard prairie dog kills...he has a 1/8 Bushmaster Predator .223/5.56, w/ 3x9x40 Tasco scope, using Hornaday 55 grain HP match ammo..

Single shot kills to the head/upper body at 216 yards, one shot kills! That's pretty impressive considering its about a 2" target out that far, and he was in the sitting position and using shooting sticks!

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp279/WarHawk-AVG/prarie%20dogs/prariedoga.jpg

He usually stacks 3 shots under a dime at 100 yards, reach out and make some varmints go bye bye!

Who is "he"?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Nice shooting.

I don't hunt prairie dogs, but I have been known to shoot gophers. Gophers only need a 22LR. Most shots are under 50 yds, but some shots are out to 100 yds or more.

Regardless, it's a great way to spend a day and the variation in range, the changing winds and weather, the movement of the gophers (or prairie dogs) and the fact you get a reaction from the target make it much more enjoyable and challenging than target shooting. Shoot gophers regularly and your marksmanship skills will increase dramatically.
I enjoy groundhog hunting too. Though in my neck of the woods shooting must be a little different. Rarely get a shot within 100 yards with most being between 100-200...but have taken some out to 500+. .22-250 Browning A-bolt with a 6.5-20x Leupold. And at the 500+ yards someone behind you with a good set of binoculars telling you how to adjust. At that distance they usually wont run at the shot. Great fun. The longest kill i have witnessed was close to 800 yards. I had a buddy shooting a .220 Swift with the same glass i have and i was on a 50x spotting scope. Killed on either the 4th or 5th shot.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
I enjoy groundhog hunting too. Though in my neck of the woods shooting must be a little different. Rarely get a shot within 100 yards with most being between 100-200...but have taken some out to 500+. .22-250 Browning A-bolt with a 6.5-20x Leupold. And at the 500+ yards someone behind you with a good set of binoculars telling you how to adjust. At that distance they usually wont run at the shot. Great fun. The longest kill i have witnessed was close to 800 yards. I had a buddy shooting a .220 Swift with the same glass i have and i was on a 50x spotting scope. Killed on either the 4th or 5th shot.
The flickertail (we just call them gophers around here) is pretty stupid. Just pull up in the pickup and park. After a few minutes they come out to look around. They might see the truck and stay low, but if they don't see a lot of movement, they actually start to run around. If they hear a shot, they'll duck down for a minute, but come back in a few minutes.

There's also a pretty good trick to get them to come out and look around. Take a .22 casing and blow across it like a pop bottle and you get a high pitch, almost silent whistle. This makes them curious if done just right and they will come up for a look around.

Also, ground hogs, prairie dogs and flickertails are not the same.

A groundhog is between 16"-26" long and weighs between 4-9 lbs. It is not communal and primarily lives in the eastern US and most of Canada.

A prairie dog is between 12"-16" long and weighs between 1-3 lbs. It is communal and lives in large clusters called towns. Their range is primarily the plains states from North Dakota to Texas.

A flickertail is about 9"-11" long and weighs between 0.4-0.9 lbs. they also live in communal groups but the clusters are typically smaller. They also inhabit the plains states in a similar range as the prairie dog.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp279/WarHawk-AVG/prarie dogs/prariedoga.jpg

Where i shoot prairie dogs a 200 yrd shot would be considered close range!

300 yrds and over are average.

don

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where i shoot prairie dogs a 200 yrd shot would be considered close range!

300 yrds and over are average.

don

pics or it didn't happen :p

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
How did you do this to so many animals
and think this is a sport? This isn't a sport, it is murder!!! To do this
from this range- you must have great aim, I bet you kill them all the time.
How about hunting something that actually puts food on the table instead?
It's obvious you put a lot of money into your equimpent and setup to do this.
I think it is wasting hard earned cash just to to kill defenseless animals for fun.
I bet you get a kick out of watching them blow up like furry little bombs.
Someone should kick the living crap out of you for doing something so evil as this.
I know I would!!!!

Also, skip every other line ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
How did you do this to so many animals
and think this is a sport? This isn't a sport, it is murder!!! To do this
from this range- you must have great aim, I bet you kill them all the time.
How about hunting something that actually puts food on the table instead?
It's obvious you put a lot of money into your equimpent and setup to do this.
I think it is wasting hard earned cash just to to kill defenseless animals for fun.
I bet you get a kick out of watching them blow up like furry little bombs.
Someone should kick the living crap out of you for doing something so evil as this.
I know I would!!!!

Also, skip every other line ;)

Hahaha....awesome :razz:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The flickertail (we just call them gophers around here) is pretty stupid. Just pull up in the pickup and park. After a few minutes they come out to look around. They might see the truck and stay low, but if they don't see a lot of movement, they actually start to run around. If they hear a shot, they'll duck down for a minute, but come back in a few minutes.

There's also a pretty good trick to get them to come out and look around. Take a .22 casing and blow across it like a pop bottle and you get a high pitch, almost silent whistle. This makes them curious if done just right and they will come up for a look around.

Also, ground hogs, prairie dogs and flickertails are not the same.

A groundhog is between 16"-26" long and weighs between 4-9 lbs. It is not communal and primarily lives in the eastern US and most of Canada.

A prairie dog is between 12"-16" long and weighs between 1-3 lbs. It is communal and lives in large clusters called towns. Their range is primarily the plains states from North Dakota to Texas.

A flickertail is about 9"-11" long and weighs between 0.4-0.9 lbs. they also live in communal groups but the clusters are typically smaller. They also inhabit the plains states in a similar range as the prairie dog.
I see...i thought those were groundhogs in the picture. You can do the same thing to get groundhogs to stand up. Blow into an empty cartridge...thats why they call them whistle pigs. They really do whistle to each other. But, they are a little more leary by the sounds of it. You can catch some stupid groundhogs that will watch you walk up to them and shoot them early in the spring. But they get educated quick and learn to hide. Plus we shoot a lot int he hay fields so it doesnt take much length on the hay to be able to hide a groundhog when he ducks down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts