Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What practice and defense ammo you recommend to use with the Hellct?

Any ammo I should avoid buying because of the short barrel? Can I use the +P ammo?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I practice with whatever is cheap. PMC brass case, WWB, Federal, PPU, Magtech, whatever. Carry mags are currently loaded with 124gr standard pressure HST's. HST's or Gold Dots are about the only thing I ever carry for a SD load.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think someone ran 10,000 rounds of +P through the Hellcat, but I just use standard pressure in everything.

I second what @MrBoxx said, for practice the cheapest, reputable brass ammunition I can find--generally CCI Blazer, Federal American Eagle, Browning, or even Norma (thanks to 2020 equalizing the different brand prices somewhat). Occasionally, I'll run a magazine or two of defense ammunition to ensure good function, but most of the defense ammo I buy doesn't feel significantly different than the ball ammo I use. Right now, I'm carrying Sig Sauer Elite V-Crown 115 gr-- want to try a few boxes of Hornady 100 gr Lite though.

Reactions: LXDG50

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's the two defense ammo I was planning to try. Let me know how they compare once you try the Hornady.
Will do. I'm hoping to get out to my range next week, but the weather has been incredibly fickle lately so it might be a little while longer. Mid 80's with high winds earlier this week and a high in the low 60's with rain today!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm also planning to try the Sig Sauer 115GR, ELITE V-CROWN, 365 JHP.
I'd like to hear how that goes when you get a chance to do so. I have standard power Elite V-Crown and it is only slightly (if at all) more spirited than regular 115 gr ball ammo.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
for the range use, also say whatever you can find that is cheapest..... with an exception to the steel case stuff. Your gun will most likely run fine on it, but there is increased wear on the gun and is a bit dirty. I have actually found I like the Herter's brand aluminum case / nylon jacket stuff.... was plenty cheap and ran fine in everything. (Haven't used it in a while due to lack of range time).

For self defense, find whatever cycles best in your gun and stack that plenty deep. Find out what local LEO's use as well as check out the bazillion test reports that are out there. Pretty much now, everything is doing well on the FBI tests. The big sames, speer, federal, hornady, etc, etc all have good self defense rounds. Good time to be a shooter... as long as you can find the ammo

Reactions: LXDG50

·
Registered
11 Posts
Find that ammo works best for you. Once on range however, use whatever is a bit more cheap so you can get more shots out for money you've spent. Federal, PPU and CCI come to mind, but just search for good deals on web and buy in bulk.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Weather was good this morning, so I cleared my calendar (we supposedly have thunderstorms or wind the rest of the week).

I would like to start by saying that these are subjective observations that reflect my experience with my Hellcat only. Please keep in my mind that your mileage my vary.

I tested 4 different 9mm defense loads in my Hellcat:
  • Federal 150 gr Personal Defense HST Micro 9mm
  • Hornady 100 gr FTX Critical Defense Lite 9mm
  • Sig Sauer 115 gr Elite V-Crown JHP 9mm
  • Winchester 115 gr Silvertip 9mm
I also brought a box of CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr 9mm FMJ.

In terms of the most pleasant recoil, all of them were fine, but I personally would assign the following rankings:
  1. Federal 150 gr Personal Defense HST Micro 9mm
  2. Hornady 110 gr FTX Critical Defense Lite 9mm
  3. CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr 9mm FMJ
  4. Tied: Sig Sauer 115 gr Elite V-Crown JHP 9mm & Winchester 115 gr Silvertip 9mm
Reliability:
  1. Four Way Tie: Federal 150 gr Personal Defense HST Micro 9mm, Sig Sauer 115 gr Elite V-Crown JHP 9mm, Winchester 115 gr Silvertip 9mm, & CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr 9mm FMJ
    • No issues at all.
  2. Hornady 100 gr FTX Critical Defense Lite 9mm
    • One failure to feed.
I have put a lot more Sig Sauer 115 gr Elite V-Crown JHP 9mm downrange in my Hellcat than any other defense load and I had the best groups with it in the quickest times and it is what I will continue to carry for the time being. In my opinion, the Hellcat is a really forgiving small gun and I don't personally think it is necessary to use a lower power load to be able to achieve the necessary speed, accuracy, and control that is possible for me with standard power defense loads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts