Springfield XD Forum banner

Powerballs and Safety Slugs

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  darrinlowe 
#1 ·
I know both of these ammo choices are expensive, overpriced in my opinion, but I was wanting to know if there was anyone out there that thought they are a practical carry round, and why? I know I can't afford them, my Gold Dots are enough already. I was also wanting to know if anyone who has shot them has an opinion on their performance.

#2 ·
I have never shot them but I have friends who swear by the powerballs. Of course, they have never "field tested them" though.

#4 ·
I like the powerball ammo, but it's expensive. It feeds well and goes bang real loud.

I pretty much accept the concept of the plastic ball helping control the expansion when fired through varying materials.

I've put about 100 rounds of .357 Sig Powerball through mine, but haven't wanted to pay the price for more. Nothing wrong with Gold Dots, Hornadys and PMC Starfires.

#6 ·
captdecoy said:
An interesting thing about both brands in the .357 sig is the high velocity. If the rumors on the gun boards are to be belived, rounds that go +1600 FPS will penetrate a IIA vest.
It also depends on what the vest is made of. If it's a second-rate company like Second Chance, it ain't stoppin ****.

The Forest Hills Police Department had a .40 S&W all but penetrate a Second Chance Monarch level IIIA vest. IIA is supposed to stop .40 cal. The round stopped in the last layer of the vest, and the backface deformation was apparently very serious.

Scary ****.

#7 ·
The Tengu said:
captdecoy said:
An interesting thing about both brands in the .357 sig is the high velocity. If the rumors on the gun boards are to be belived, rounds that go +1600 FPS will penetrate a IIA vest.
It also depends on what the vest is made of. If it's a second-rate company like Second Chance, it ain't stoppin ****.

The Forest Hills Police Department had a .40 S&W all but penetrate a Second Chance Monarch level IIIA vest. IIA is supposed to stop .40 cal. The round stopped in the last layer of the vest, and the backface deformation was apparently very serious.

Scary ****.
It stopped it though...lol

#8 ·
It should have stopped it within the first five layers, especially being a threat level IIIA vest.

The vest the FHPD officer was wearing had non-Zylon replacement panels in it that Second Chance used after they recalled their defective Zylon panels.

Still defective if you ask me.

#9 ·
captdecoy said:
I seriously doubt those powerball rounds will penetrate a good kevlar vest. Personally I think it's BS about the 1600 FPS thing too. If you've got a light little pistol bullet travelling at that speed (and it seems that from what little I've seen of them most of the pow'r ball bullets are light) there's most likely not going to be much penetration ability...especially through kevlar. Rifle is a different story.

brad cook

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.