Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the Power River Precision (PRP) drop in kits in my two XDMs, I decided to upgrade my XD Mod 2 9mm with PRP’s newly released kit. I don’t have a trigger gauge to test the trigger pull, but the trigger pull is lighter and crisper, and reset is quicker. The replacement striker safety lever (Part# 25) is thicker which makes it more difficult insert the sear (Part# 10), but it does fit.

You can refer to the PRP XDM drop in kit video with one exception: The XD mod 2 9mm does not have a disassembly bar like on the XDM so you can ignore any references to in in the video.

Here are some tips to make the installation easier:

1) Once the slide is removed, and before removing any of the original parts and pins, use the camera of your phone to photograph the configuration of each parts in the slide and frame for future reference.

2) When removing the sear pin (Part# 11) cup your hand over the top of the frame to prevent the sear spring (Part# 13) from shooting across the room.

3) To make the re-installation of the sear (Part# 10) easier, wrap a rubber band around the grip to hold the safety grip in which pulls the internal safety back.

4) Hold a finger over the striker safety (Part# 33) while removing the striker safety retaining pin (Part# 26) to prevent the striker safety from shooting off the slide. There is a very small spring under it!

5) When installing the striker spring (Part# 32), use a center punch to fully compress the striker spring guide (part# 28); I center punch fits in the hole just enough to fully compress the striker spring guide making it much easier to slide the striker locking plate (Part# 27) over it.

Once I finished the installation of the kit, I place all the removed original and unused PRP parts in two separate zip locked bags labeled “Original XD Mod 2 9mm parts” and “Unused PRP-053-9-40 parts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Installed a PRP pre-fit trigger (PRP-064-9) in my 9mm mod.2 service yesterday. Definitely a worth while upgrade. Cut the trigger travel and reset by half. It's now consistently breaking at 3.8-4.0 lbs. But in my view the biggest improvement is the reset. Speed on follow up shots is greatly enhanced because the reset is now about .2 inches versus .4 with the stock trigger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Installed a PRP pre-fit trigger (PRP-064-9) in my 9mm mod.2 service yesterday. Definitely a worth while upgrade. Cut the trigger travel and reset by half. It's now consistently breaking at 3.8-4.0 lbs. But in my view the biggest improvement is the reset. Speed on follow up shots is greatly enhanced because the reset is now about .2 inches versus .4 with the stock trigger.
But where's the cheapest place too buy one at for the mod 2 .40

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After installing the PRP on my Xd Mod 2 9mm, my trigger breaks consistently at 4 lbs. The reset is smaller too. So far after shooting 500 rounds of junk ammo through it, I had no firing or feed issues.

My accuracy improved a lot after installing the PRP drop in trigger mod.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Me, I don't mind the weight of the pull, after 3K or so rounds, I'm well familiar with it...however, the breaking point and reset are my only gripes...more the reset.

Being used to a Glock trigger prior to my Mod.2 (which is by FAR my favorite gun)...would you say that the Trigger Kit takes care of this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My I don't mind the weight of the pull, after 3K or so rounds, I'm well familiar with it...however, the breaking point and reset are my only gripes...more the reset.

Being used to a Glock trigger prior to my Mod.2 (which is by FAR my favorite gun)...would you say that the Trigger Kit takes care of this?
Yes. My main complaint with the factory trigger was the reset, not the trigger pull itself. The PRP trigger cuts the reset in half. It also reduces the trigger travel distance, which is nice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did the PRP spring and sear kits on my XDM, XD mod 2, and XD-S. Both the XDM, and XD mod 2 were easy because they have a newer design than the XD-S. With the XDM and XD Mod 2 you do not need to worry about the grip safety springs, but on the XD-S you have to deal with the grip safety spring and the small lever attached to it.

IMPORTANT: On the XD-S if you do not correctly position the lever attached to the grip safety before assembling the pistol, the trigger will be stuck in the rear position and will not allow the slide to cycle. You will NOT be able to remove the slide from the lower frame because you need fire the pistol before removing the slide! Ask me how I know :(

As others posted there are plenty of Youtube videos out there - mostly out of focus on the critical re-assemblies -LOL

Review the videos several times and before popping any pins, use your phone to photograph the internal parts on the frame and slide, so you have a reference as to what their relationships are when correctly assembled.

When removing or replacing springs, place the part in a clear zip-loc gallon bag, so if you slip the spring will stay in the bag.

On the XDM and XD Mod 2, you can place a rubber band around the trigger guard and grip safety to keep the grip safety depressed while replacing the sear and other parts.

I would keep the original parts in a small zip-loc bag and store them in the gun case just incase you need to return the gun back to Springfield in the future, resell the gun, don't like the PRP trigger pull, etc.

If you have any further questions, just let me know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.