Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...has anyone else used these two powders and noticed that as well. I just picked up some PP a few weeks ago and opened it today then thought maybe I had bought an incorrectly labeled container.

As a side note I did load some 45ACP 200GR XTP's at 7GR of PP. Light recoil and awesome off hand accuracy at 10 yds. I didn't run them across the chrony, just wanted to check feed reliability in my RIA CS which was consistently good, no issues at all.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
...has anyone else used these two powders and noticed that as well. I just picked up some PP a few weeks ago and opened it today then thought maybe I had bought an incorrectly labeled container.

As a side note I did load some 45ACP 200GR XTP's at 7GR of PP. Light recoil and awesome off hand accuracy at 10 yds. I didn't run them across the chrony, just wanted to check feed reliability in my RIA CS which was consistently good, no issues at all.
Except for certain powders, it's almost impossible to tell one from another by appearance alone. I have NEVER heard of a miss marked canister, never. Keep one can on the bench only, always replace your powder before going to a new one. Keep a tmep label on your measure w/ the powder type written on it & change it when you change powders. Mistaken powder ID is responsible for many KBs. Always pay close attention to what you are using, never guess. It's ultimately cheaprer to throw powder away if you don't absolutely know what it is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the good tips. I never leave powder in the measure after loading.

I thought I had read somewhere about some incorrectly labeled powders however, I can't remember where or what MFG it was.

ETA: Found it. On THR under powder recall sticky. Apparently some 8lb. containers of Unique may have actually been filled with Bullseye. Having said that I am however certain that the Power Pistol I have is labeled correctly.

All of the powders I currently use have a slightly different appearance but not PP and BE. Definately need to be careful with these. I did measure the two for a comparison and BE appears to have a slightly higher density.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
That is why I always put my powder label inside the measure on top of the powder with the lid on. Use a piece of paper large enough to not get lost inside the tube and write the powder name in big letters. If I add powder I return the label to the top of the pile. No mistakes can be made with this system even if you leave the powder in the measurer for 6 months.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Power Pistol is a larger flake variant of Bullseye and gets its slower burn rate from the larger flakes. Load data is significantly different so don't confuse them.;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Power Pistol is a larger flake variant of Bullseye and gets its slower burn rate from the larger flakes. Load data is significantly different so don't confuse them.;)
The coating is diff too. Many powders look alike, especially extruded & ball/spherical. Always best to keep the containers separate, one on the bench only & mark your powder measure, even if you empty it every day. Ya never know. Loading BE w/ PP data would be very, very bad.:shock:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
By marking the powder measure are you saying the grain measure and type?
No, you ALWAYS verify charge wt before loading, always. I put a removeable label on my measures, write down the powder type that is inside. The label in the measure is a good idea, but anything that clearly IDs the powder you are working with works. I have three measures on my bench, so can be using three diff powders at any given time. Keeping track is really important. If you even haev a thought you have the wrong powder, dump it onn the lawn, $4-$5 worth of powder is never worth your gun coming apart because you used the wrong data. Yes I have seen it happen to more than one newb reloader.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Off topic now. Jack, is that the walls of Fort DeChartre in your avatar?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts