Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a xd9. can the slide be powdercoated to prevent it from rusting? if so, what would be good to remove the finish thats on it? any other parts that should be done while im at it?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I would not powder coat your slide, that finish would be way too soft.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know about it being too soft. I had a fellow who specializes in AK and SAR refinishing powdercoat my SAR-1 a couple of years ago, inside and out. Several thousand rounds through it and not a mark on it. Solvents don't affect it one way or another. Jet black and very nice looking.

Don't know that I'd rush to do it on a handgun, but if someone has the ability to do it on the cheap, it would be cool to see.

Three pics below, two close-ups to see the texture. Note that it's a very fine texture that the powdercoat puts on it, it's the crappy SAR finish underneath that makes it look uneven.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the opportunity to send my SAR-1 to a good friend in Texas who does powdercoating... I've been considering it, and will probably go ahead with it. The gun originally only cost me about $250, and I haven't done a whole lot with it since. I figure, worst case, I have the PC stripped off and get it refinished with another process. But they actually do quite a bit of guns, he's told me.

By the way, thats a nice stock. Does it actually fold/collapse, or is it a feinstein-folder?

And where can I get one? :D

I actually designed one when I was studying Solidworks (solid modeling design software)

·
Registered
182 Posts
If it were me and I wanted to keep it black on the outside, I'd go with a polymer coating on the outside and something like Robar's NP3 on the barrel and internals. Then you get the slickery internals for the parts that wear and nice black protection on the outside. If you didn't care about keeping it black, i'd go with NP3 all around (which is what I did). man does it slick up the gun. I can tell in the action between my 9mm that is coated and my 40 tactical that is not. the 9mm is SOOO much smoother to fire.

This montts Guns and Ammo (i think it was that one) has a whole article on different coatings.

From having dealt with powdercoating on 4x4 rigs, I would not put it anwhere near my gun. Over time on a lot of my truck parts where there is a scratch rust has formed. and unlike a coating like NP3, that rust keeps going underneath the powdercoating. With NP3 it is VERY localized. plus NP3 has a lifetime warranty. i doubt a powdercoater could say that.

and yes, i am a huge fan of NP3. and no i am not a rep for robar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well i guess i wont powdercoat then. i have a guy that would do it for probably 10 bucks. if even that. probably wouldnt charge anything if i just threw it in with whatever hes working on at the time.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
is powdercoating relatively cheap? If so, I might consider getting my CETME rifle redone in powder coat. and should a gunsmith do it, or could I just take it to a place that does powdercoating on everything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would agree that if you were to leave the rifle outdoors powdercoating (and most on the other finishes, including the stock XD finish) would rust right up. But, assuming that when you're done shooting and cleaning it you put it away indoors, it's no worse for wear than any other. Like I said, I've put thousands of rounds through the SAR-1 above and no exterior marks or damage.

And 03cbr600f4iguy, for $10 bucks??? I'd do it in a minute. You can have the coating removed it you don't like it. The SAR was just over $125. BTW, if that's not a friend price but a regular fee, I'll send mine over to him as well.

The fellow I went through for the SAR work is at: http://www.ak-103.com/home.html

The stock is through: http://www.aceltdusa.com/index2.htm They have all sorts of great options for AKs and ARs. They offer a folding option now, but I bought mine when that was a no-no. Don't need it, never went back for the adapter.[/b]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya hes a friend of mine, but that would be the cost if hes doing other stuff the same color. he pc'ed all 3 of my brake calipers for my bike and a couple other parts for 30 bucks. he had to do about 6 hours of prep work to clean up his shop to make sure other paint didnt get on the parts and he had to buy the powder. little things like that, he doesnt mind doin it real cheap.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I used to powdercoat for a living at one time! I personally wouldn't do it for one simple reason: scratches!!!
Powdercoating in one of the most durable coatings but once it is scratched, that's it! What sux even more is I have seen race cars,bikes and the such that had scratches that went to the metal and actually rusted it behind the coating (ya couldn't tell till you removed the finish) Which if I may add is a completely DIFFERENT story :lol: Hand sanding 5th wheels with 3 seperate coats (primer,silver,clear) WAS NOT FUN! Just my .02!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts