Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could use some advice from those of you who've had trigger jobs done. I'm deciding between PRP and Springer. I've found a couple YouTube videos comparing the two jobs. It looks like the Springer trigger has the trigger set further back than the PRP trigger.

Any comments on the two trigger jobs (One more popular than the other)?

Also, any recommendations on trigger weight for CC purposes?

Below are the videos presented on YouTube.

YouTube - ‪Springfield Armory XD/XDM trigger jobs by Springer Precision‬‏

YouTube - ‪Stock trigger xdm vs. Powder river Precision match trigger kit (excluding trigger safety)
2/2‬‏

http://youtu.be/6bV4Q2mXzC4

Thanks.

·
Registered
786 Posts
U pays your money and takes your chances. 4to5 lbs min on Carry guns the last thing you want is a AD.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Both kits are excellent. Plenty of threads comparing Springer, PRP, and Springfields Custom Shop. Look at why you really need the trigger kit for? I wanted a Springer for a year, but I chose PRP at the end. I use my XDM for action pistol shooting and really needed the short travel.

If you are already good with your weapon and this is your carry what do you want to gain with the kit? I'm just asking.

Depending on what you are getting from each place they sell different parts for almost the same price. I installed the kit myself so I saved myself some money. I should of got the springer one for my other XD and then compare. But I put both PRP kits in.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both kits are excellent. Plenty of threads comparing Springer, PRP, and Springfields Custom Shop. Look at why you really need the trigger kit for? I wanted a Springer for a year, but I chose PRP at the end. I use my XDM for action pistol shooting and really needed the short travel.

If you are already good with your weapon and this is your carry what do you want to gain with the kit? I'm just asking.

Depending on what you are getting from each place they sell different parts for almost the same price. I installed the kit myself so I saved myself some money. I should of got the springer one for my other XD and then compare. But I put both PRP kits in.
What do I want to gain with the kit? Good question. I'm by no means an expert shooter but in most scenarios my groupings are center mass sized about the size of a hand. That includes shooting while moving and at decent ranges.

I guess the next step for more precise shooting (with practice practice practice) would be to have a cleaner break and less/no slack after reset. I'm very happy with the XDm but like the feeling of a Glock trigger.

Smoker03, thanks for the link. Good info. I was leaning towards PRP and that helps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
U pays your money and takes your chances. 4to5 lbs min on Carry guns the last thing you want is a AD.
I like the stock trigger weight and agree with you. Is there any way to figure how many lbs my trigger takes to fire? They always just give you a range of 5.5-7.7 lbs.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I love my Springer installed custom trigger job.

It is all personal preference.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Actually, not so much. He didn't follow the instructions, or he would not have had the problems he did. He made modifications that are not recommended or need also.

PRP didn't make a kit for the thumb safety .45 version at the time of the posting.

Beware many people who post on the internet do not follow instructions or ask for help from the manufacturer when they get lost.

We do not install kits in the shop either (we are asked this all the time) our custom shop work is custom, not a simple kit install.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think he did a good job on comparing the triggers but based on what he thought was a proper install of both. If you need help, ask for it.

I do have a question about the two triggers. Kits accomplish the same result but the method to get there is different? Is that correct to say?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hancock,

No, that is not correct, and if you understand the system and look at the parts involved, you with understand the key differences.

Before we made our own parts, we saw the weakness in the fire control system of the stock trigger bar (when they started spot welding the trigger pin and stamping them) and decided it was a must to replace it with a solid bar that was machined as per the original design of the part.

We also decided that providing a sear that was made from a proper metal so they could properly modify it to meet the needs of their customers was also a must to improve the quality of the fire control system.

If trigger travel and reset was my only concern in improving the trigger system, I would not have taken the route we did, but increasing reliability and durability are as important to us as trigger travel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hancock,

No, that is not correct, and if you understand the system and look at the parts involved, you with understand the key differences.

Before we made our own parts, we saw the weakness in the fire control system of the stock trigger bar (when they started spot welding the trigger pin and stamping them) and decided it was a must to replace it with a solid bar that was machined as per the original design of the part.

We also decided that providing a sear that was made from a proper metal so they could properly modify it to meet the needs of their customers was also a must to improve the quality of the fire control system.

If trigger travel and reset was my only concern in improving the trigger system, I would not have taken the route we did, but increasing reliability and durability are as important to us as trigger travel.

Thanks for answering my question and thanks for the great info on your trigger. I searched for the question but didnt come up with anything.

Thanks Again

Mike

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Mike (or anyone else) we answer all our phone calls and return all emails as timely as possible, so if you have a question and need an informed answer, please contact us. We can't keep track of all the forums, but we are here to help when we can.

We will also be greatly expanding our video section with HD video, so let us know if there is something you would like to see:

Contact Us :: Springer Precision

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hancock,

Very good to know. Thank you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I recently bought and installed the PRP ultimate easy fit trigger kit myself. These are the results, not the greatest video quality in the world, but I was excited right after I finally got it working.

I will say, I did have to watch the springer precision videos on how to assemble the XDm, because the powder river videos really weren't that well made. It took me about 20 minutes to install, and 3 hours to find out what I had screwed up (I just needed to sand down the trigger stop on the back of the trigger).

·
Registered
447 Posts
lvxdm,

I understand your need for a trigger kit now. I too wanted less slack and crisp feel. Like I stated before. Both kits are excellent. Up to you to make that decision. If I ever get another XDM I will get the springer one this time.

When I was at my local match, my buddy that shoots a XDM 9 like I do installed a Springer one in. We took both guns out and compared. Both to me feels the same but Springers kit sits back more so the pre travel is very close. I like them both.

When you do make this really "tough" decision let us know what you got.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I recently bought and installed the PRP ultimate easy fit trigger kit myself. These are the results, not the greatest quality in the world, but I was excited right after I finally got it working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnYUvDgrVY&feature=channel_video_title

I will say, I did have to watch the springer precision videos on how to assemble the XDm, because the powder river videos really weren't that well made. It took me about 20 minutes to install, and 3 hours to find out what I had screwed up (I just needed to sand down the trigger stop on the back of the trigger).
I have to disagree with the comment about PRP not being the greatest quality. All the parts I've ever received from PRP have been precisely machined. Springer also has been excellent quality. If you were having a tough time on the install, it is always a good idea to understand prior to working on a pistol how it completely works and how all the parts interact. When in doubt, call the manufacturer for guidance. Both trigger setups are great. I suggest that if anyone is going to use the PRP trigger kits, I would always upgrade the sear as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have to disagree with the comment about PRP not being the greatest quality. All the parts I've ever received from PRP have been precisely machined. Springer also has been excellent quality. If you were having a tough time on the install, it is always a good idea to understand prior to working on a pistol how it completely works and how all the parts interact. When in doubt, call the manufacturer for guidance. Both trigger setups are great. I suggest that if anyone is going to use the PRP trigger kits, I would always upgrade the sear as well.
I was saying the install videos on youtube were not up to par. I'm very happy with the quality of the actual trigger. I admitted to the fact that I did screw up, but after I fixed all of my mistakes I'm very happy with it. I fired 250 rounds through my gun that weekend (I haven't gotten to shoot since :() without any problems at all.

*edit* OHHHH I reread my post, I was saying that the video I made wasn't the greatest, as I filmed it with my phone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was saying the install videos on youtube were not up to par. I'm very happy with the quality of the actual trigger. I admitted to the fact that I did screw up, but after I fixed all of my mistakes I'm very happy with it. I fired 250 rounds through my gun that weekend (I haven't gotten to shoot since :() without any problems at all.

*edit* OHHHH I reread my post, I was saying that the video I made wasn't the greatest, as I filmed it with my phone.
Sounds good. I took it as you thought the quality of the parts were not all that great. But glad you think they are good quality. I think the PRP videos are good except they dont have a decent one for the XDM yet. THe videos for the XD are good however.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts