Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just got this new Loadmaster. Now I know I can change the turret and shellplates for different calibers once they're all setup and adjusted correctly but I'm worried about mixing up powders so is it better and safer to buy a new powder measure for each caliber or just remove the single one it came with and re-adjust it for every change? What are you guys running for multiple caliber setups?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I just use the same measure, though I am using a single stage and go long periods between actually changing calibers.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I use 4 powders so after a reloading session I dump the powder back into it's original container. Also by doing it this way I feel like any unwanted moisture won't find it's way into the powder if it's sealed in the original container.

If you do leave the powder in the measure you should know what powder it is just by the dies you have the measure mounted on. That is unless you experiment with different powders for the same caliber.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Here is the safest way to treat powder while having only one measurer. After you fill it up with powder take a piece of paper and write the name and number of the powder you just put in and place it on top of the powder under the lid. If you have to add more powder always move the paper back to the top again. That way you always remember what powder is in the measurer. If you need to change the powder take out the paper and put in a new one with the current information of the new powder and put the paper back on the top under the lid. Problem solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts