What's the best safe method of removing
the powder marks and rings from
The cylinder of a smith and wesson model
60 without damaging the finish ?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I've just been using a brass brush and some Hoppes on my S&W 625. Brass is softer than stainless, so there's no possibility of damaging the finish. Go crazy. I usually let the Hoppes soak in for a few minutes and then scrub away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I've had VERY good luck using this on a Ruger SP101.
Amazon.com : Kleenbore Gun Care Lead Away Gun Cloth : Gun Cleaning : Sports & Outdoors
Caution: It'll take the finish off any gun not stainless...
I've found It works better, quicker, and more completely than a metal brush. You only need a small square to make it work too.
That cloth works wonders.

One thing--keep it away from ANYTHING blued--sights, etc--because it'll strip it down to bare metal.

I have also found that Gunzilla cleaner works wonders in cleaning powder fouling out of the forcing cone area.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Another vote for the lead remover cloth. Used one on my wife's Model 60 Pro, and it came out 98% perfect. Probably could have gotten it all off if I didn't get lazy. :D

·
Registered
665 Posts
Flitz metal polish will also work. I leave the burn rings on my SS wheel guns, they get shot again and the burn rings will be there again.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Eliminator bore cleaner and a brass brush, it comes right off. Hoppes takes a lot of scrubbing comparatively. Remington bore cleaner works well too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and a few q-tips. The polish can be had for a few bucks at any auto parts store. Comes off with minimal rubbing and a can of polish will last years. Yes, the more expensive items work well, but not any better.
Note: I have only used this on stainless guns.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I've used the Birchwood Casey Lead Remover cloth with great luck to remove lead rings on my stainless revolvers. Great stuff.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Small parts with powder fouling and carbon buildup go into the ultrasonic cleaner. One of the handiest and most used tools in my shop!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Another vote for Flitz as a safe and reliable way to get your stainless shiny. I use a microfiber cloth with it, but it takes a while to get a deep clean if I've shot a lot of rounds.

A more aggressive alternative is to use a piece of stainless steel sponge and some Ballistol. Using that method, it takes me less than five minutes to clean the face, flutes, and inside the topstrap, even with a lot of fouling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and a few q-tips. The polish can be had for a few bucks at any auto parts store. Comes off with minimal rubbing and a can of polish will last years. Yes, the more expensive items work well, but not any better.
Note: I have only used this on stainless guns.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
This. Works great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use Hoppes cleaner and one of those yellow/green scotch brite sponges.

The green side scrubs off the rings without hurting anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use Hoppes cleaner and one of those yellow/green scotch brite sponges.

The green side scrubs off the rings without hurting anything.
I use a scouring pad as well, except I use mpro 7 cleaner instead. It's one of the better ones out there for removing carbon.

I'd stay away from using metal polishes too often. Once and a while would be ok, but polishes do remove metal. I very tiny bit, but remove some nonetheless.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've always used a brass brush with (insert favorite solvent here) and let it pre-soak first. Than went to town on it with the brush.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts