Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to start reloading and I am looking for a couple different powders to start off with. I dont plan to buy more than 1# until I find one that I like and plan to stick with. So what powders are worth trying? Ive been told that Win 231, Unique and Accurate #2 (I think it was 2) are good powders to try so I will try them but Im looking for some more advice. Thanks WM

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I use win 231 in my .45 ive heard alot of ppl use unique as well.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have run maybe 8 diff powders thru the 45acp, I always return to WST. It is clean burning, great accuracy w/ any bullet type, good case volumn, low recoil for identical vel, not much to dislike. For target to std vel loads, WST is my 45acp powder of choice. If you want to run std vel to +P, then Unique or WSF or Universal are better choices. Nothing wrong w/ W231/HP38, it's a bit smokey w/ lead bullets but has a useful vel range. If yo ulike W231, you'll love WST.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use Unique for 230 gr FMJ and 230 XTP in my XD 45. Bullseye can be used for target loads if your recoil spring will allow. Consult reloading manuals for the appropriate data.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use Bullseye under plated 230 FN for soft target loads. A little cleaner and more economical than Unique. Always heard W231 was superior and flowed better thru powder measures- want to try it sometime too.

·
Registered
950 Posts
W231 is my fav for a few different pistol cals seems to shine in 45ACP.

·
Premium Member
22,590 Posts
231 here.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I'm the odd man out here because I use AA #7.

Why...? Because it's a slow burning powder that fills the case up, and I am a new reloader as well. I wanted to be able to easily see if I ever had a double charge. I have had 2 or 3 double charges, and dumped them back out and did it right. I also only have a single stage and do all of the stuff by hand & not just pulling a handle to get a bullet.

I don't know if the others fill the case as full, but it's something to think about.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I'm the odd man out here because I use AA #7.

Why...? Because it's a slow burning powder that fills the case up, and I am a new reloader as well. I wanted to be able to easily see if I ever had a double charge. I have had 2 or 3 double charges, and dumped them back out and did it right. I also only have a single stage and do all of the stuff by hand & not just pulling a handle to get a bullet.

I don't know if the others fill the case as full, but it's something to think about.
I think you will find Unique has a higher volumn per charge wt, about 1.5x more volumn, & easily over flows a 45acp case w/ a double. IMO, AA#7 is just too slow for the 45acp in anything but a +P loading. So Unique is a great choice for anyone concerned about double charges & you'll use less powder & it will run fine @ medium to std pressure loads.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I think you will find Unique has a higher volumn per charge wt, about 1.5x more volumn, & easily over flows a 45acp case w/ a double. IMO, AA#7 is just too slow for the 45acp in anything but a +P loading. So Unique is a great choice for anyone concerned about double charges & you'll use less powder & it will run fine @ medium to std pressure loads.
Nice. Well then, when my 1 lb of #7 runs out, I will get me some Unique. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Nice. Well then, when my 1 lb of #7 runs out, I will get me some Unique. Thanks.
I like AA#7 in high pressure rounds like the 357sig & 40, but the 45acp runs almost half the pressure. Slower powders need higher pressures to burn completely. If you want a good universal powder for most handgun needs, Unique is tough to beat. Some complainabout metering, but I can get 0.1gr accuracy in my Dillon & RCBS measures. WSF meters better, almost identical pressure w/ the same charge wts but it isn't as high volumn. Still, it has about 33% higher volumn than AA#7, fills about half the 45acp case, still easy to see a double.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I've used 231 for over 30 years in my 45ACP loadings. There are other good powders but some don't meter as good as the 231.
Think of WST as cleaner burning W231. A tiny bit faster, a bit more loft, but really, next time you buy powder try it, especially if you shoot lead bullets.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Bullseye is great but you will swear it is black powder.
I think it hasn't changed formula since it was manuf at the end of the BP era!:shock: Bullseye was introduced by Laflin & Rand in 1898.
BE leaves a carbon much like BP does IME, that & the small charge volumn put me off 35yrs ago, never went back to it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts