Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive the question if it offends delicate sensibilities, but I have always been curious about this.

What makes one brand of ammo better than the other? For instance, I look at a box of Winchester Walmart special .45 ACP and it runs $17.99 here in Colorado. Next to it is a box of Blazer Brass (which I use more often than not) for $14.99. Then, I head off to my local gun store and spy a box of Black Hills which will go for $27.99. All for the "same" ammo. So I'm curious as to what makes one brand supposedly better than the other? Are they using different powder/bullet/manufacturing technique? Or is is a case of brand name driving up the price?

I'll hang up and listen :)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I dont think it makes much difference when you are using it for practice ammo . I buy anything , mostly Winchester White Box for practice but others may be ok . But as far as practice concerned , you are ok .

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Performance is the biggest factor, and marketing is the second.

When a company spends money on a design and developes something that performs well ... They will marhet it as such, and coincidently attempt to recover some of those development costs via a higher price.

There are many things that can change the performance ... Such as a different metal composition being used for a fast bullet (9 or40) versus a slow bullet (45) ... Using the same composition in both will allow one to possibly perform well, while the other one does not do as one might expect.

Example: DPX makes a defensive use bullet in .380 that was specifically designed for the typical short barrel that most guns of this caliber use ... It performs very well .... If they used the same metal composition as they use in a .44 magnum ... It would never expand at the slower velocities that a .380 is capable of.

Plus, there are differences in powder and primer choice that will affect performance ... But IMO, the biggest performance difference is the composition of the bullet.

Everything else is marketing.

Choose a caliber form this page - terminal ballistics and you will see that some of the not so famous names perform as well or better then the ones with all the marketing hype.

For target ammo ... The cheapest is usually going to be the best.
For keeping you alive ... The most expensive better work, but it really doesn't have to be THE MOST EXPENSIVE ... It just needs to work reliably in your gun.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
One more thing,
Target ammo is usually thought of as cheaper = better ... But if you have a gun that will accept surplus import ammo, keep an eye out for the corrosive stuff ... It works, but you don't want to shoot a bunch of it and then put the gun away saying I'll clean it tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
mostly the type of powder, Blazer uses some really dirty stuff that can be a pita to clean sometimes.... the cleaner the powder, the more $$$$ The cleaner the better.

I usually buy Rem UMC in the 250 pack for a range trip. I usually buy it at Mao-Mart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts