Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

1st post here. I got a chance to shoot an XD9 last month in Las Vegas and have been on an XD kick since. I'm seriously thinking of buying one or more in the next 2 weeks, but would like some information on the pistol.

I have a 2nd gen G19 and it's own of my favorite pistols. I was in Las Vegas last month and rented a 3rd Gen G19 and, on a whim, an XD9. I was surprised by how easy it was for repeat shot recovery. Reminded my of a Browning High Power I used to own.

I live in NJ and we have a 15 round mag limit here. As far as I know, this rules out the XD9, XD9M and XD40M. I'm not really a fan of .40. I'm interested in the XD9C w/ 4" barrel, XD45 Service, Tactical & C. So, some questions...

Any thoughts as to the shootability of the XD45 Service vs. Tactical? I'd be looking for either w/ a manual safety. This would possibly become my bedroom gun.

Thoughts as to how the XD45C compares to the G30SF? I've had an itch for a compact .45 and these 2 are leading the list.

How is the grip of the XD9C? I'd be interested in a 4" barrel/slide version. Is this available w/ a manual safety? Thoughts as to how this compares w/ a G19?

Regarding manual safeties.... how do they work on the XD? I have an HK USP45F and find it's controls perfect. I love the fact that the safety can be on, but the slide can still be cycled. Does the XD do this?

Aftermarket and maintenance - I know Glock has a fairly strong aftermarket support business. How does the XD compare? What is available in trigger choices, sights, barrels, spring kits, etc? Also, can anyone provide a schematic or video of how the gun works? One thing I like about Glocks, is how easy they are to work on. How does the XD compare in this regard? Are there tools available (sight pushers, pin removal tools, etc.)?

Thanks for your responses!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can answer a couple of your questions, and I'm sure very shortly someone will be able to do a good job of filling in the rest:

I live in NJ and we have a 15 round mag limit here. As far as I know, this rules out the XD9, XD9M and XD40M. I'm not really a fan of .40. I'm interested in the XD9C w/ 4" barrel, XD45 Service, Tactical & C. So, some questions...
XD9's are actually not ruled out as they are sold in 10-round versions.

How is the grip of the XD9C? I'd be interested in a 4" barrel/slide version. Is this available w/ a manual safety? Thoughts as to how this compares w/ a G19?
For the time being, the only model available with the thumb safety is the XD45.

Like I said, somebody else will surely have more answers for you shortly. Good luck with your decision!

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I've read that the older XD9 high-capacity mags held 15 rounds, rather than the current 16 rounds. Thus, you could buy the gun with the current-issue 10-round mags, then perhaps buy some used 15-rounders.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'll chime in with a couple of answers:

The XD9 is available with:
3" barrel - XD9sc
4" barrel - XD9 Service
5" barrel - XD9 Tactical
There is no XD9 compact with a 4" barrel and a compact grip.

The XD9 15rd mags are available NEW from SA.

Hope this helps :D

·
Premium Member
127,768 Posts
Go with the XD with 10-rounds mags. High capacity mags are interchangeable.

·
Registered
240 Posts
if your feeling brave enough, you could always grip chop a 9MM svc, but im not sure you would want to though if this is going to be a HD gun.

Definitely go for the stock ten round gun and then get yourself some 15 rounders from SA... Trigger job from springer, magwell from pistol gear,DGR..... But i digress :D:D:D:D

Cadet Wilson

·
Registered
725 Posts
Welcome from NJ!

Springfield does sell 15 round XD-9 Mags direct from the factory for $24.99 each. Just call the customer service number.

I have an XD-9 with 10 and 15 round mags and I love it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Go with the XD with 10-rounds mags. High capacity mags are interchangeable.
I second this. I would say try out what feeds good in your hand...an XD9 or a .45...then go with the compact version. That way you can either use it for CCW easy or just get the full 13rd mags (for the .45) and have a full size grip. Thats what I plan to do:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Regarding manual safeties.... how do they work on the XD? I have an HK USP45F and find it's controls perfect. I love the fact that the safety can be on, but the slide can still be cycled. Does the XD do this?
I just checked mine. No - the slide cannot be cycled if the thumb safely is on. The grip safety must also be depressed to be able to cycle the slide on an XD. I can live with these features and think XD's are pretty amazing overall. They're the SOTA evolution of the striker fired autoloader. Regarding my XD45 Service, if I had it to do over, I would get the compact and fore-go the thumb safety altogether. As it stands, I'm thinking about getting the grip chopped - now who has all those 45C mags???
Best to ya!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i read somewhere on here that you can get an xd shipped to an ffl from SA with 15 round mags new. they swap out the higher caps specifically for NJ.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
With the 45 mags, the 13 round metal pieces are all the same. The only difference on the 13 rounders is a piece of plastic that goes around the bottom of the mag to extend the grip. You can buy that separately to convert the longer mags to the compact pistol. I think they're $10, which is why the mags for the compact are $10 more in the 13 rounders. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Excellent news that 15 rounders are available for the 9mm. This makes the XD9 MUCH more appealing. I could have sworn there was a 4" model w/ the compact frame. Oh well. I've been waiting since July to get my paperwork updated since I moved. I have 3 purchasers permits coming and at least 1 of them is going to used for an XD. Supposed to get them 1st week of Jan. Hopefully!!!

With the XD45's, any opinions on the Service vs. the Tactical?

Also, can XD's be dry fired w/ out Snap Caps, like a Glock.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum from CT.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Yes, you can dry fire an XD without snap caps. It shouldn't hurt it, you have to dry fire it to take it apart.

There is a .45 with a 4" barrel, and short grip, that's the gun I have. I dunno about the 9mm, but it's hard to imagine they only made 45s like that. :confused:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
yes dry fire xd's as much as you like.

service vs tac? are you going to carry it at all or is it for home defense/range? if your carrying it, the service may be a little easier to conceal (the hardest part is the grip) if its for HD/range, go with the longer sight radius of the tac.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Yes, you can dry fire an XD without snap caps. It shouldn't hurt it, you have to dry fire it to take it apart.

There is a .45 with a 4" barrel, and short grip, that's the gun I have. I dunno about the 9mm, but it's hard to imagine they only made 45s like that. :confused:
right now the only one available from SA is the 45 compact. some users have done a grip chop, but the 45 is the only factory compact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My most recent purchase 4" service bi-tone.Best grouping of all my handguns. I just added a magwell from magloc which took care of the open end on back strap with an enclosed plug( slight modification with exacto blade to cut small tab) makes magazine reloading a snap. Also replaced recoil spring with internal LASERMAX system making this far-sighted person dead on target. LOVE THIS GUN
happy holidays

1 - 17 of 17 Posts