Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned a firearm before, but if I am going to own a firearm I want to make sure I know what I am getting into. Are there classes for someone to learn the legal parameters of gun ownership/use and lessons in how to use a firearm before I own a gun? I live in Norfolk, VA. I just would feel much better if I have a lot of knowledge before I own a firearm.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I would check out your local ranges in the area. Most of them will offer some basic NRA pistol classes that will teach you a lot. Then in VA is a Concealed carry state, the class to get your liscense should teach you all of the states laws. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
you can also check out the NRA web-site. It might has a list of instructors in your area.

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
In VA you can carry concealed (with a permit) or open with no permit.

Like others said, go to a range. You can pay an instructor for a one on one class to go over any questions you have and to shoot with you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Bob's Gun Shop downtown on Granby St. holds regular classes and they have a full compliment of handguns for rent. Try before you buy and find the one that works best for you.

Or Superior Pawn and Gun on Little Creek Rd. between Granby and Hampton Blvd. Not sure they have many to rent. ( I deal with them alot on purchases. Good prices and not nearly the zoo of Bob's)

Sounds like the making of another responsible gun owner. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
glad to hear you want to learn about safety before purchasing a firearm, responsible gun owners make us all look good. nra pistol courses are a great jumping off point and this forum is a great resource for just about any question you could have. welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I just night an xd a few weeks ago. A local range rented guns so I shot an xd, glock, and rueger before making my choice. I would definitely recommend renting to try out different platforms and see what you like best. I'll be signing up for my ccw soon and probably some other courses for technique after that.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts