Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Looks like my account was finally approved (thanks admin). I'm now fully retired (24 years as AF officer + 20 as defense contractor) and have been looking into CCW given the ever-increasing crime rate in my area (Albuquerque and surrounding areas). I have not historically been what you'd call a "gun person" although I have carried a side arm in the military (.45) on occasion and have owned .22 target pistols in the past. Currently I only own a WWII (1943) P38 (Mauser) that I inherited from my Dad (Utah Beach and Battle of the Bulge). I occasionally shoot the P38 an indoor range using only target ammo.

Obviously the P38 is not what you'd call a good concealed carry gun, thought it is fun to shoot. I am still not 100% sure what will be my first gun for CCW but I am leaning towards the XDs (probably .45 but possibly 9mm). Although the newer XDe is interesting.

One thing I'll say up front - because I know I'm not a regular shooter and also not being stupid - I plan to take a full beginner's gun safety course THEN the CCW course. Even though I've had training in the military and have done some shooting, I know that CCW is a whole different thing and refresher training before the CCW training is a must in my mind. (my military training was many years ago).

Anyway, I look forward to reading the posts here and probably asking lots of newbie questions.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Welcome. I’m sure you will find a Springfield Armory firearm that will suit your needs. They make great guns. Most of the those here on this forum are fine knowledgeable people that will help you anyway they can.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have owned an XD before the XDM was released in .40 with over 10,000 rounds and 1 FTF and 1 FTE. I blame that on the once fired brass target ammo I use and not the firearm. Many of the polymer pistols out there would be a great choice. If I may offer 1 piece of advice, I would say to get your hands on as many firearms as possible. Get a feel for them as they all “feel” different. Find what fits in your hand and works for you, no matter what caliber. Being able to be comfortable with and put the rounds where you want is more important than what manufacturer you purchase! I personally don’t like the way Glocks feel. You may love them. Point is, as much info you can get is always the best! Good luck and Thank you for your service! Happy Independence Day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
15,912 Posts
I'm kind of partial to SA, but you have all the info you'll ever need on any gun here at XD Talk. And there is plenty to choose from. Don't rule out hammers. Bore Axis is over rated. Double action/single action triggers have some advantages. Not better, I just like them for me. Find what you like, and buy lots. Oh ya, and buy once cry once...

Reactions: debo7937

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
...Many of the polymer pistols out there would be a great choice. If I may offer 1 piece of advice, I would say to get your hands on as many firearms as possible. Get a feel for them as they all “feel” different. Find what fits in your hand and works for you, no matter what caliber. Being able to be comfortable with and put the rounds where you want is more important than what manufacturer you purchase!
Exactly.

Basil, don't get too hung-up on your dream gun, now. :)

Take those classes, and, especially, look for an introductory/novice-level handgun class where the instructor/school brings out a variety of handguns for the students to try.

There's one school in my area where they literally cart out three of the large/long Pelican rifle cases full of handguns, with everything from flyweight Unobtanium alloy snubby .38 revolvers to micro-RDS equipped full/duty-sized semi-autos.

Don't let the hardware drive your decision - mission dictates gear, let your mission now be the understanding of what to look for in a concealed-carry handgun, as well as re-learning and updating the combat pistolcraft that you were once exposed to and practiced. :)

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Anyway, I look forward to reading the posts here and probably asking lots of newbie questions.
Welcome aboard, many knowledgeable people here willing to help, just ask and enjoy!

If I may offer 1 piece of advice, I would say to get your hands on as many firearms as possible. Get a feel for them as they all “feel” different. Find what fits in your hand and works for you, no matter what caliber. Being able to be comfortable with and put the rounds where you want is more important than what manufacturer you purchase!
Well stated good Sir, couldn't agree more, with a handgun it comes down to ergonomics, if the glove fits ....

8)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome from Virginia and thank-you for your service!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the welcomes. What brought me to this particular forum were some video reviews (Hickok45 and others) of the XDS. I had the opportunity to hold one at my local BX and really liked the way it felting my hand (medium sized hands). After recently talking to a friend who owns the .45 version of the XDs I'm leaning towards the 9mm XDs OR possibly the new XDe. (He said if he had it to do over again he'd have gone for the 9mm). I like the double/single action of my Walther and the XDe has same, so I'm no ruling that out either. I'm still in the research phase so haven't absolutely nailed down what I'll end up with. I'd love to find a place where I could rent some of these SA models but alas my local indoor range, while they do have some hand guns for rent, they have no SA models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts