Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forums here and I'm in the market for an XD. I found one at a local retailer (Tactical 40) and am planning on making a purchase by the end of the week. I've read many (many...many...) reviews online regarding the XD series and all have been very positive, however if there is one repetitive issue that I've read about, it's rusting on the XD's. I've read about several cases where this has occured.

I'd love to hear about any input related to this to help me make my decision

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pla said:
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewforum.php?f=22
Well, if an entire forum devoted to rusting issues on the XD series isn't enough to prevent me from purchasing... :)

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum Darkfire. Don't let that chase you away from a XD. I have seven of these and have never had any rust issues with them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's good to hear not everyone gets rusted. I wonder why it occurs on some and not others, even with proper care?

Also, this is the first handgun I will own (I've shot many times), what do you guys suggest for proper care?

Finally, I see that some of you have use this DuraCoat thing - is it necessary?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
No need for DuraCoat. I carry my XD every day, more or less, and I have extremetly corrosive sweat and body oils and whatnot (I can dissolve a set of guitar strings in no time flat just by playing it like a normal human being). Only once has my XD ever gotten rust on it, and that was during the summer on a 100% humidity day when I left it laying on the floor of the tent while out camping. Incidently, every other thing made of metal that I left there too also rusted.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mr0w1 said:
No need for DuraCoat. I carry my XD every day, more or less, and I have extremetly corrosive sweat and body oils and whatnot (I can dissolve a set of guitar strings in no time flat just by playing it like a normal human being). Only once has my XD ever gotten rust on it, and that was during the summer on a 100% humidity day when I left it laying on the floor of the tent while out camping. Incidently, every other thing made of metal that I left there too also rusted.
That's really comforting to hear. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse this past Saturday and found the XD I wanted. I guess I just started having second thoughts when I was reading about all this rust talk, but it's good to hear (from several people now) that many of you have owned XD's for a long time with no rust problems.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I read all the rust stories before purchasing mine, but I realized it was purely cosmetic anyway. I've never seen rust cause an XD to malfunction.

I finally came to the conclusion that if it rusted I would spend the whopping $40 to have it Duracoated. But alas, going on 5 months rust-free. I think 90% of it has to do with proper care.

Just grab some Blue Wonder Armadillo and never worry about rust again. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SpeedRacer said:
Just grab some Blue Wonder Armadillo and never worry about rust again. :D
Where can you buy that/find info? Any website link?

·
Registered
278 Posts
You can purchase it from the forum sponsors, as well as many other places. In an effort to not be bias towards one sponsor or another (because they are all equally awesome), I'll just say do a search here for Armadillo and you'll find tons of threads about it. :wink:

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
Darkfire,

I've had one of these guns since they were introduced as the HS2000 in 2000. It's never been any more of a problem to keep from rusting than any other gun I've owned.

Just keep a slightly oily rag around in a zip loc bag and when you have been shooting or carrying or handling your gun take the rag and give it a good wipe.

Takes all of about 30 seconds. Do it at least once a week and I don't think you'll have any rust problems.

That's the minimum amount of care for any gun that gets used regularly, in my opinion.

Enjoy your XD.

bd

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the good input. I'm going Saturday to pick up an XD40 :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had rust on the rear sights and slide of my bi-tone XD40, but this was after wearing it for 10 hours on a hot humid summer day. Not to mention I was sweating a lot as I was running one of the bays at an IDPA match of my local gun club. Also of importance is something in my skin or body will cause a blued gun to have finger prints on it that won't wipe off if left on for an hour or so. I always tell people to wipe their guns off after I touch them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Proper care and you shouldn't have a problem. :D
Oh crap....you mean we have to take 'care' of these things????!!!!!

I've had my black/blue (whatever color ya want to call it) 40 since Feb. It has been cleaned twice, right after I got it. I'm now about 1000rds into a "durability test" :D It doesn't have a speck of rust, it has never malfunctioned from the gun having a problem (1 failure from a reload with a bulge in the case). I don't even wipe it down & I live in south FL.

And, before someone jumps on me...it's not a carry gun so I'm gonna keep shooting it until it "fails"...so far I'm really impressed!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the horror stories aren't as bad as they are made out to be :) I wonder if it was a problem in the past with the first set that were manufactured... of course it would be nice if Springfield would publicize that :wink:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The worst part thing about the XD is the shame and humiliation you'll recieve because you should have bought a GLOCK in 10mm, because the 10mm own3z t3h all.

Ooooh! I'm bad! :twisted:

(Really, I jest. :) )

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've shot glocks before, great guns. Definately not a fan of the plastic though. When I went this past weekend to do some shopping, the grip on the XD is what threw me over the edge - I love the feel.

·
Registered
224 Posts
+1 on the suggestion to use Blue Wonder Armadillo. That stuff, while not the easiest to apply, really seems to work well. I actually use it on all of my guns including hunting rifles that are exposed to a lot of moisture. Honestly I think proper maintenance and care will solve most any issue with preventing rust before it starts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts