Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're looking at getting started on our prepping; nothing crazy, but enough food, water, light, and essentials for up to a couple months of grid failure. My issue with water is this: we don't really have a good set up for being able to store whole barrels of water, but we could do 5- or 6-gallon bottles or jerry cans pretty easily. Do you get distilled or purified for better storage life? I hear distilled stays good longer, but you need to add a mineral supplement or it starts to leach minerals out of your body over long-term consumption. Also not sure about how safe it is to leave water in plastic long-term. Is there gradual contamination of the water with the compounds in the bottles? Any other ways to approach this issue? I'm new to this, so bear with me.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
If you store your drinking water before the SHTF, (stuff hits the fan) and you are getting it from existing safe water infrastructure like from the kitchen tap, then probably you are good to go without doing anything. Just use the aforementioned excellent choice USGI or NATO Jerry cans, fill them up, store them someplace cool and dry, (outside rust) and just forget about them for up to several YEARS.

Being kept cool and temperature stable and without sunlight, most if not all of the bad stuff, (if any) will die off over time. It will not multiply. No energy source, (sunlight) nor a food supply. (clean safe water to start with) Water under such conditions does not wear out or become out of date, it will last a very long time. If you think it is necessary, just a couple of drops of bleach per gallon may be added.

Then, to kill the bleach taste years later, if there is any taste of it left, just add a pinch of dry Vitamin C crystals to neutralize the bleach taste. The Vitamin C will also prevent Scurvy, but only if you add at least 25% alcohol to it with is best served in the form of very cheap Rum, which when drunk, will make you groggy. Ignore the last part of this paragraph, it was meant to be only funny. HB of CJ (old coot) :)

But it is important to use only lined metal cans designed to hold water. If you use cheap thin plastics with the biodegradable starch molecules added, over time the plastic will degrade, dumping bad stuff into the water. Also thin plastic will allow smells to enter the inside of the jug, thus the water. About the only way to easily and safely store drinking water is to use the expensive Jerry Cans designed for it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have used and drank from bottled water that was outdated by almost 5 years. IF you use plastic containers just add about 5 drops of unscented clorax bleach per gallon of tap water and it will last for years (can't be as bad as city water). I say tap water because it has the natural minerals the body needs unlike distilled water. I agree with HB of CJ but I have the blue plastic 5 gal. and 15 gal. containers that can be used for drinking, cooking or bathing. I store water in gallon Iced Tea jugs that are much thicker than milk jugs and don't leak as easily. Just keep rotating the water yearly and you won't have to add the clorax.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I keep several 7 gal aquatainers in my shop and change out the water every few years. Its just tap water.. I dont really worry about it.

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Dan, there is absolutely nothing wrong with distilled water. If, IF you only drank purified water for a long period of time, you MIGHT develop some mineral deficiencies. But you will die of starvation before that.

The idea that purified water is bad for you is greatly exaggerated. Your diet as more than enough minerals to make up for it. Heck, store a bottle of minerals if it makes you feel better. If a couple of months is what you are preparing for, distilled/pure water is the least of your concerns. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Bear in mind that distilled water from the store doesn't seem to be done with great care. Every distilled water I have gotten from grocery stores or wal-mart has left salt residue on evaporator plates.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Distilled water made by boiling the water and capturing the steam, which when it cools, converts back into water.

It loses most all of its' minerals and such in this manner, though also is purified of contaminents this way and why you're told to bring water to a boil to kill any germs when the city water has to have the pipes apart or fix a rupture or something.

You can live without food much longer than you can live without water.

So, I'd rather have water that has what I need in it, rather than have to hope that you can supplement through food.

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
There is no hope to it, the mineral content of municipal water supplies is not what is keeping you alive.

Distilled water is not pure. Mineral content varies. You can have some content, but it is low. RO water is not pure. Deionized water is pure. RO, Distilled water passed through resin beds to remove all the remaining ions. That is pure H2O, and I could drink it every day without a care in the world.

Food has more than enough. It's a none issue. It's a myth that continues to be perpetuated. Where it came from was studies on the subject. And yes, drinking pure water for a very long time, you can begin to show deficiencies. But it's minor. To resolve it is minor. And the only reason you don't drink pure water, is there is no point to purifying it to that point. Municipalities add minerals back in for taste, not for any health issues. Pure water simply does not taste good. There is no taste, but that is odd compared to what people are used to.

Don't by into the myth because you heard it from someone. There is plenty of information on the subject. For your purposes, it's a non issue.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
The only time I've stocked up on some water is when there was the possibility of hurricane coming through. That's just for short term, though, while I get the filter system together. I have the gear to set up two of the following:

DIY Ceramic Water Filters - DIY - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Rather than stock up on a ton of water, I prefer to be able to produce as needed and have two ceramic filters, buckets, etc. for filtering drinking water. I'd then boil to purify. It helps that my house backs up to a pond so fresh water is easy to get.

Water is needed for more than drinking, though. To that end, I have three, 1-pound bags of calcium hypochlorite (pool shock) for purifying water for general use such bathing, brushing teeth, washing up, etc. One pound of calcium hypochlorite sells for around $4 and can purify up to 10k gallons of water. What's more, you can increase the concentration to use the solution as a bleach/cleansing agent. Also, unlike bleach that has been stored for while, the powder doesn't degrade over time.

Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water | Ready Nutrition

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
There is no hope to it, the mineral content of municipal water supplies is not what is keeping you alive.

Distilled water is not pure. Mineral content varies. You can have some content, but it is low. RO water is not pure. Deionized water is pure. RO, Distilled water passed through resin beds to remove all the remaining ions. That is pure H2O, and I could drink it every day without a care in the world.

Food has more than enough. It's a none issue. It's a myth that continues to be perpetuated. Where it came from was studies on the subject. And yes, drinking pure water for a very long time, you can begin to show deficiencies. But it's minor. To resolve it is minor. And the only reason you don't drink pure water, is there is no point to purifying it to that point. Municipalities add minerals back in for taste, not for any health issues. Pure water simply does not taste good. There is no taste, but that is odd compared to what people are used to.

Don't by into the myth because you heard it from someone. There is plenty of information on the subject. For your purposes, it's a non issue.
Correct, a proper diet would provide all the nutrients necessary.

·
Registered
17,776 Posts
Distilled water made by boiling the water and capturing the steam, which when it cools, converts back into water.

It loses most all of its' minerals and such in this manner, though also is purified of contaminents this way and why you're told to bring water to a boil to kill any germs when the city water has to have the pipes apart or fix a rupture or something.

You can live without food much longer than you can live without water.

So, I'd rather have water that has what I need in it, rather than have to hope that you can supplement through food.
boiling is the "dummy proof" way of telling people to pasteurize the water...but in a SHTF situation do you have a thermometer to measure the water temperature of 170-175 °F? Even an elementary school kid knows water boils at 212°F so tell em to boil it, the temperature already passes the safe point.

The rule of 3 for survival in an extreme situations
3 minutes without air - 3 hours without shelter
3 days without water - 3 weeks without food.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts